TMS outline- Elliott Gould!

P

Princeton

Question about PIS...

Do you think Sam expects his part in PIS to be totally based on Shakepeare? I mean, Sam's purpose on the show is to keep a tasteful decorum. I never expected him to be that big on Shakespreare that he would let that get in the way of a part.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Princeton said:
Do you think Sam expects his part in PIS to be totally based on Shakepeare? I mean, Sam's purpose on the show is to keep a tasteful decorum. I never expected him to be that big on Shakespreare that he would let that get in the way of a part.
I don't understand the question entirely, but I'll do my best to answer.

I saw it as they con him into it, telling him that it's Shakespeare when it isn't. Because Shakespeare is culture and culture is the aim, he accepts. He's not a performer, by his own admission, but for the sake of culture alone he'll step up to bat and perform. Also, he knows precious little about Shakespeare, seeing as in the Lynn Redgrave episode, he thinks that Shakespeare wrote both "Robin Hood" and "The Sound of Music", and is shocked to learn that Shakespeare is dead. It's as though the name-drops of, say, Shakespeare and Beethoven are enough to keep him interested and give his blessing. He makes lots of other mistakes, because although his mission is culture, he himself is grossly underinformed about the subject.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole