Together Again: A Muppet FanFiction

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Taken care of, was waiting to hear from you yourself Beth. Now post some ore, please, Ish!

RedPiggy

Reaction score
*notices the date of the story*

I realize this fic may go a little darker, but will it get so dark as to deal with what happened in the real world the next day? I mean, I'm fine with that and everything ... it would be interesting to see how Muppets deal with something that BIG.

Anyway, totally dig the concept behind the fic... way to go!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
September 10th, 2001 – Evening

Kermit opened the door of his apartment, threw his keys on the counter and then sank down into his couch and sighed. It was another long day at the restaurant. He held his postcard in one hand and turned on the television with another. He zoned out for awhile lost in some entertainment news program putting off reading the card that would make him ache for a different time.

Just as he was finally getting ready to read it the phone rang.

“Hello?" said Kermit.

“Hey, it’s me," said the voice on the other end.

Kermit smiled at the sound of Jenny’s voice. Whether they were friends or more than friends she was the one person who could always bring him out of a funk.

“How was your day?" he asked.

“Crazy, we have a big deal that we’re working on with a vendor. We’ll finalize tomorrow. If it goes through it will be huge," said Jenny.

“Well I hope it works out," said Kermit.

“Me too. I have to go to big meeting tomorrow over at the World Trade Center about it," said Jenny.

“Wow, it must really be a big deal!" said Kermit.

“Let’s just say I’ll sleep better when it is over. So how was your day?" asked Jenny.

“Busy as usual. Chester’s locking up tonight," said Kermit.

“I’ll have to stop down and say hello," said Jenny.

They continued to make idle chit chat for a little longer and then Kermit decided he couldn’t put off reading the card any longer.

“I got a card from one of the gang today," said Kermit.

“Oh! Did you read it yet? I can let you go if you haven’t," said Jenny. She understood that Kermit felt very private about his past.

“No, I haven’t. I really should do that," said Kermit.

“Who is it from?" asked Jenny.

“Fozzie," said Kermit.

“I figured that was the case," said Jenny. Fozzie wrote the most cards out of the whole gang.

Kermit appreciated that Jenny never asked more than who the letter was from. Jenny was one of the only people that really understood him. Regardless about what had happened in the past he was very glad to have Jenny in his life.

They said goodnight and hung up the phone. Kermit finally turned the card over and started to read.

Dear Kermit,

How is life in the big city? Beth and I are still doing well here in Maine. Mollie continues to grow faster everyday. And we’re excited; we’ll be having a new cub sometime this spring. If it’s a boy, I really want to name it after you. You’re still my very best friend. We’re going to try to come into the city for a visit before hibernation this year. I’d really like to see you. Have you heard from anyone else lately? How is Jenny?
Hope to hear from you soon.
Your friend,
Fozzie Bear

Kermit smiled at the thought of Fozzie naming his son after him. He was still sometimes surprised how well his friend had taken to living in the wilderness. After a few winters of hibernating with her and her clan, Fozzie asked Beth Bear to marry him. This was an even bigger shock to Kermit. Kermit was invited to the wedding, but that was the weekend that Piggy left for good. He never forgave himself for not being there for his best friend, but somehow Fozzie understood.

Kermit frowned at the memory of that time and also at Fozzie’s words that they’d be coming to the city. He always promised that about this time of year but he never made it. And now that he and Beth had their daughter Mollie and another cub on the way, well Kermit was just sure that he wasn’t going to see his friend anytime soon.

He got up and put the card in a drawer where he kept all the others. He walked over to the window and thought of each of his friends.

Fozzie of course was in Maine.

Gonzo was in Florida with Camilla. They worked for Disney World now. Gonzo was one of the stand-ins on the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular Show. It seemed to fit him well.

Rowlf ended up out in Minnesota where he rediscovered his roots, connecting with family and a childhood friend. He ended up marrying this childhood friend, a cat named Wanda, and together they performed a nightly show in a jazz club.

Scooter went back to college and got his master’s degree in film editing. He was out in California working behind the scenes of various movies.

The Electric Mayhem may be the biggest success story out of Kermit’s friends, making it big across the pond in England. They had quite a following there and seemed content to be Europeans.

Kermit was very happy for his friends; they all seemed to be doing very well. And he was happy that no matter how busy they all were, they checked in with him from time to time. He also knew that none of them heard from Piggy either.

In the first few years they continued asking about how selling the show was going, but one by one they each stopped asking. Kermit could tell they had given up hope of it ever making it. That was about the time he stopped trying to sell the show, tired of rejection.

The show. He rarely thought about that. He still had all of his scripts saved in a special place. In spite of himself he kept thinking that maybe, someday, he could try it again.

He looked up at the moon.

“I always said I would get them back. How am I ever going to get them back? Has it been too long?" he said.

The starts started twinkling brighter.

“I suppose tomorrow is a new day. Maybe something good will happen and get my life back on track," he said. Then he turned and went to bed.

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
Great Update

OMG! Great Update! I couldn't help noticing that Jenny is going to the WTC on the day that no one wanted to be there! (Wondering how that will turn out, probably even more sorrow for Kermit).

I really like all of the backstories of the gang, very creative. I am still dying to know what happened between Kermit and Piggy! I hope we get to hear that soon!

Great job as always, i'm on the edge of my seat at work reading fan fiction instead of doing work, mission accomplished, haha!

Totally excited for more!

:excited:

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
DARN 201D CODE!

Ed, help! I should never go back and edit. I got interrupted while posting earlier so I wanted to fix one thing. Sigh.

And yes, it will be a bit dark and depressing for awhile...but this story is called "Together Again" keep that in mind, there will be happiness. We'll get there one step at a time.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Mm, thought that this was where this was heading ...good job!

And what is the deal with the 201D thing? I got that too one time...

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi... Sorry Beth, but I won't be able to remove the code until I get back to my home computer later tonight. Hope that's OK.
Kelly, whenever a fic gets updated with quotes of dialogue ending in either commas or punctuation marks, transfered from Word to here a strange u201D code is registered instead of the closing quotation mark. Not ure why it happens though, just LMK if you hexperience it and I'll do my best to have it taken care of if you can't remove it yourself.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
It's all good Ed, whenever you can get to it is great. Here's another chapter, I'm on a writing spree today!

September 11, 2001 – Morning

The day dawned sunny and clear. Kermit actually enjoyed the walk in to work because the weather was so lovely. A perfect fall day.

He’d slept really well and had decided maybe now was the time to start thinking about the show again. Sure he’d have to do some updating as 15 years had passed since he first wrote it, but it might be fun to write again. He was actually excited.

“Morning Rizzo!” said Kermit cheerfully when he arrived at Pete’s.

“You’re in a good mood today,” commented Rizzo.

“You know I just feel full of inspiration, like it’s time to turn over a new leaf,” said Kermit.

“Well before you go turning over new leaves you wanna go turn over some pancakes?” asked Rizzo.

Kermit smiled; maybe he would write a part for Rizzo in the updated version of the show. If it was a show about life in the big city, he should include a true New Yorker.

Kermit was so busy daydreaming and thinking up new things in his head, he didn’t notice when the breakfast crowd had thinned out a little earlier than normal.

“Sweet, I’m gonna turn on the Price Is Right before the Rosie show comes on,” said Rizzo.

“Sounds good to me, it’s kind of early for it to be this slow though, don’t you think?” said Kermit.

“Beats me,” said Rizzo turning on the TV.

Kermit started counting tips at the cash register when all of a sudden he heard Rizzo gasp.

“You ok?” asked Kermit without looking up.

Rizzo was silent.

Kermit looked up and was frozen in his spot when he saw what was on the TV, a plane was hanging out of one of the World Trade Center towers and it was on fire.

“Rizzo, what kind of movie is that? Change the channel!” yelled Kermit.

Rizzo didn’t move, his eyes were locked on the screen.

“Change the channel! Change the channel!” screamed Kermit running over and pushing buttons on the remote. The same thing was on the next channel and the channel after that.

“What is going on here? Is this some kind of sick joke?” asked Kermit.

“I…I don’t know man…I….that’s just across town from here….”stuttered Rizzo. For once he was at a loss for words.

“It must be some kind of really bad accident, that must be it,” said Kermit.

A few others who were left in the restaurant came closer to watch the TV. as well.

“Well, it’s a darn shame, let me know if anything else happens, I’m going to go wipe down some tables,” said Kermit deciding it must be an accident. He didn't want to believe it was anything else.

“Oh my god, there’s another one!” screamed one of the customers.

Kermit turned back just in time to see another plane hit the other tower.

“Kerm?” said Rizzo quietly.

“I know, this is no accident,” said Kermit as he sat on a stool now transfixed by what was happening.

Within an hour all news people were declaring it a terrorist attack on New York. Yolanda came into the restaurant with the baby and huddled with Rizzo at a table. The other patrons had left to go and try and locate their loved ones.

Kermit was pacing while watching the TV. The phone lines were dead; he had no way of knowing if Jenny made it out or not. Rizzo stopped him from going down there, saying it would be mass chaos and he’d never find her if he did.

“Oh my goodness, they’re talking to someone at the Pentagon and he thinks they just got hit!” gasped Yolanda.

Kermit shivered, now it was a terrorist attack on the country, not just New York. He started thinking of his friends. Would they all be safe? What about Piggy? How could he know she was safe without even knowing where she was? And he still worried about Jenny; he couldn’t stand the thought of something happening to her.

He ran over to the phone to try again.

“Anything?” asked Rizzo.

“Still dead,” said Kermit.

“I’m sure she’s fine, what time was her meeting?” asked Yolanda.

“She didn’t say. I know she’s not home, I went upstairs and she’s not there. I’m just hoping she was either at her office or not at the towers yet,” said Kermit.

He wondered if any of his friends were worried about him. He wished he had a way to let everyone know he was safe. Mostly he just wished he knew that Jenny was safe. And Piggy too.

The day dragged on and the attack seemed to be over after one final plane went down in a field in Pennsylvania. All planes across the world were grounded. Everything was at a stand still.

Now the images on TV were of those who were looking for loved ones and holding up signs saying “have you seen this person”.

“Maybe I should make a sign and go down there,” said Kermit.

“Maybe he’s right Rizzo,” said Yolanda.

Just then the door of Pete’s burst open.

“Kermit!” exclaimed Jenny looking visibly shaken.

“Jenny! You’re ok!” said Kermit and scrambled into her arms as she bent down to hug him.

“I wasn’t there yet, I was on my way when the first plane hit, then I couldn’t get out of there. There were people in the streets screaming and crying, it was horrific,” said Jenny as Kermit led her over to a chair to sit down.

“We’re just so glad you’re ok,” said Yolanda as her and Rizzo came over to comfort her.

“Me too. I…I…could’ve been in there,” said Jenny as she started to shake more.

Rizzo ran and got her glass of water.

“The important thing is that you weren’t. You’re here with us and everything is going to be ok,” said Kermit.

Jenny looked up to Kermit and over at Rizzo and Yolanda. “How?” she asked.

Kermit looked back over at the TV as the images continued to blare.

“I don’t know, but we have to make it be,” he said. He wasn’t sure if that was even possible. Their world was forever changed.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Ok, the purpose of Fan-fiction is to examine posibilities...What if's, if you will. What if Kermit had to return to the Swamp? What if Robin's parents were divorced? What if someone tried to bulldoze Sesame Street? What if Kermit was never born, or Kermit died, or, etc...

This is a story that splits from the true Muppet universe and enters untrood waters. What if the Muppets split up? -- But doesn't do it by splitting them up, it joins from a point in one of the movies, giving it extra strength. It's another universe, in a way, not an ideal Hollywoodized universe.

It's so sad that Kermit isn't in touch with all his friends, and especially Piggy, but it's so great that they've found niche's for themselves. Fozzie as a parents couldn't happen in regular fanfiction spheres, but can here because it's an alternate universe -- similar to Piggy and Gonzo being together in the Dark Universe.

So far, I love the direction. How tomorrow is handled will seal the deal!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Yep! Right you are Beau. Basically in this story everything that happens up until Kermit gets the letter from Ronnie Crawford in the movie DID happen...including Piggy coming back to the restaurant, we'll get to that later though. And it is sort of uncharted waters for me to write too! I have to say though, that I really like where I'm going with this and I just can't wait to get us there! Not to make light of the largest national tragedy to hit this country, but it's really serving as some good inspiration for me and my writing!