Top 10 Most Popular Sesame Street Muppets Right Now

Beauregard

Reaction score
What I find most interesting is that, although there's almost NO merchandising of him Telly Monster remains firmly in the main cast of Sesame Street week after week year after year! And yet he's certainly not the first character you think of when thinking of SS!

Drtooth

Reaction score
What I find most interesting is that, although there's almost NO merchandising of him Telly Monster remains firmly in the main cast of Sesame Street week after week year after year! And yet he's certainly not the first character you think of when thinking of SS!
That will bother me for the rest of my life. Telly and baby Bear are in roughly a third of the episodes in a given season. Where's my Fisher Price Telly plush?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
In a recent Tough Pigs piece (those are getting to be fantastic once again) Mazzarino admits to favoring writing for Telly Monster, but doesn't know why kids don't like him more. Maybe the even younger target audience for Sesame isn't at the age of fret and frustration that Telly represents. He's always a fave of mine and is the only newer/non-classic cast member I saw fit to include in MC cards' menu (even if it houses nothing at this time). I feel Telly's pain. He has some Boober-ish qualities sometimes. :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ah, I get it... it's a writers thing. I have noticed a lot more Telly Monster on paper goods like Puzzles and coloring books... and I swear that I saw a picture of Telly on one of those weird Sesame Street Musical toys (that they have so much, they're easily forgotten, and they tend to run together) a couple years back. I really think they should pair him up with Oscar a lot more, like in the 80's... but he's a wonderful character. not just a worrier, but a very emotional character... when he's happy he's extatic (like in the Letter of the Day club), but when he's depressed or worried, he's totally down. Quite a lot more depth than they get with Elmo, wouldn't you say?

Still, a T-shirt would be nice.

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
That will bother me for the rest of my life. Telly and baby Bear are in roughly a third of the episodes in a given season. Where's my Fisher Price Telly plush?
I used to have a Telly plush toy, although I don't think it was made by FP. I remember it was as big as the Elmo plush I had around that same time.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
What do you mean by that last statement?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Walk down the preschool toy aisle in Target... you'll see some cheap 4-5 dollar 6" plush... they have of course Elmos and Abbys, but also Cookies, Grovers, Ernies... and I think a couple more. Don't know why they can't give Telly that treatment, since he's on the show now more than Cookie and Grover.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I agree. I mean c'mon, 75% of the street scenes from 1992 to now star him!