top 40 skits wanted for Old School Volume 2

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Okay, Sesame Street: Old School Volume 1 has been released for two and a half weeks. Many of us have bought it. Now, I thought it might be great to make a thread for the top 40 skits we want the most. But I have also been thinking something else.

I remember that, back when The Muppet Show action figure line was first announced, a wishlist thread was made, and then somebody either sent the list to Palisades Toys, or just the web address to Palisades Toys, but either way, people from Palisades started posting here throughout the run of the toy line. I think that each of us could make a top 40 list, and then, after two or three weeks, somebody here could make a total of the top 40 that most people here asked for, and then somebody (preferrably somebody who has successfully made contact with Sesame Workshop before, preferably more than once, but not too many times) could e-mail the list of top 40 skits to Sesame Workshop, and provide a link to this thread as proof that multiple people nominated them, rather than just one person lying about them getting the most votes.

We don't know if this set will contain the first five years again or the second five years, so we should make two lists: the top 40 skits from the first five years, and the top 40 skits from the secodn five years, since we don't actually know if the second volume will focus on the first five years again or expand to the next five years (or focus exclusively on the next five years). Of course, we could be wrong about the time frame, so if somebody e-mails a list to Sesame Workshop, it should be pointed out that the years could be off, and also mention that most titles are unnofficial. That means when you list your most wanted skits, try as hard as possible to make a basic plot description, perhaps as speciffic as possible, but don't make it too detailed (not a three-line description). If there is something you know about that you want, but don't know any real details about certain skits, try to make an "honorary mention" and make soem mention. I'll put honorary mentions after my wish list.

And remember, this is not an official contest. Whatever the top 40 skits picked by most fans are does not mean that Sesame Workshop will include them on the next set. The contents of the next set could actually be finalized, or there could not be a next set.

And now, here are my top 40 picks for 1969-1974:
1. The People in Your Neighborhood (Original Version)
2. Near and Far (original version)
3. Jazz #8
4. Ernie's sandbox game
5. Everyone Likes Ice Cream
6. James Earl Jones recites the alphabet
7. Let's Sing a Song of Nine
8. Professor Hastings lecture on parts of the body
9. Lefty attempts to sell Ernie a U
10. Oscar recites the alphabet
11. Pick Your Pet
12. Grover and Herbert Birdsfoot count three blocks
13. Eleven Cheer
14. The Geefle and the Gonk
15. Ernie, Bert, and Herry compete for the TV chair
16. Mad
17. Harvey Kneeslapper's B joke
18. Bill Cosby twins count
19. grover thinks he's going to surprise Ernie
20. Roosevelt Franklin's Days of the Week
21. Sherlock Hemlock and the Twiddlebugs mystery
22. Six Snails
23. The Nobel Ostrich
24. Kermit draws a square
25. The Amazing Mumford's disapearing cookie trick
26. Candy Man
27. Beat the Time with Grover
28. The Ballad of Casey McPhee
29. The Golden An
30. Grover spreads Herry's alphabet secret
31. Everybody Eats
32. Kermit and Bob talk about frogs
33. The Count and Cookie Monster coutn and eat cookies
34. Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard
35. Herry and John John count to 20
36. Sesame Street News: Cinderella at the ball
37. Super Grover: Bus Stop
38. Ernie and Cookie Monster talk about their differences and simlarities
39. Kermit, Shala, and Fanny demonstrate "next to"
40. The King Banishes the Letter P
Honorable Mention: a Monster Family segment and a first season sketch that I've seen a still picture of with Bert and many monsters and anything muppets.

and here is my wishlsit for the top 40 segments from 1974-1979:
1. Some of Us are Here
2. Subway
3. Four
4. Typewriter Guy: A-Airplane
5. Grover the plumber
6. We All Sing with the Same Voice
7. Sing with Lilly Tomlin
8. Fonzie from Happy Days starst the alphabet
9. The Pink Panther and K
10. Lefty attempts to sell Ernie an invisible ice cream cone
11. Sesame Street News: Pinnocchio
12. That Grouchy Face
13. Wonderful Me with Big Bird
14. The Count spends the night at Ernie and Berts apartment part 1
15. The Count spends the night at Ernie and Berts apartment part 2
16. Kermit talks about feet
17. Pinball Number Count #7
18. Keep On Truckin'
19. The Opposite Song
20. Don Music writes Yellowstone Park
21. We Coulda
22. My Pollywog Ways
23. Sesame Street News: holiday mix-up
24. Proud of Me
25. Ernie wears socks on his ears
26. Breakfast Time
27. Grover attempts to sell Kermit earmuffs
28. With Every Beat of my Heart
29. The First Day of School
30. Mystery Guest
31. Headball
32. Madrigal Alphabet with Judy Collins and Mr. Snuffleupagus
33. One and One Make Two
34. Oh, What a Beautiful Morning
35. Believe in Yourself
36. Monsterpiece Theater: Upstairs, Downstairs
37. The Cookie Bunny
38. Two-Headed Monster sound out the word "dance"
39. The Ten Commandments of Health
40. This Frog

Drtooth

Reaction score
Personally (if it was in that time frame) I'll be VERY disappointed if they don't incorperate the R2d2 and C3P0 episode in any way.

Grover

Reaction score
I am going to list the sketches possibly by year, I am going to in a later post list what sketches I wasn't sure the year the were made in. I am going to post more ideas.

Season 1
  1. Rubber Duckie - Test Pilot
  2. Kermit's Lecture on Full and Empty.
  3. The Baker Films - #9
  4. The Boy, The Girl, and The Jellybeans
  5. Octopus Garden
  6. Kermit and Bob discuss Frogs.
  7. Ernie's talks About His Trip to the Zoo
  8. Professor Hasting's Body Parts Lecture
  9. Through The Hoop w/ Ernie and Bert
Season 2
  1. Grover and Oscar's Alphabet Game.
  2. What's My Part? - Foot
  3. Ernie and The Yellow Ball
  4. Cookie Monster's Cookie Diet.
  5. Herbert Birdsfoot and Grover count Three Blocks.
  6. Case of The Missing Twiddlebugs.
  7. Ernie has a Banana in his Ear.
  8. Up and Down - Cookie Monster and Herry
  9. Lefty sells a Stop Sign to Ernie
Season 3
  1. Beat the Time - Grover
  2. Farley Buys a Hat.
  3. Ernie Sorts to Toys into Groups.
  4. What Rhymes with Buy at The Bakery.
  5. Kermit and Farmer Grover.
  6. Snow White visits The Six Dwarves.
  7. Harvey Kneeslapper - Wanna 'C'
  8. The Amazing Mumford's Suspension Act
  9. 'X' Marks The Spot
  10. Robin Hood (Ernie) Auditions for Merry Men
Season 4
  1. At The Beach -Ernie Meets Tough Eddie.
  2. Ernie's Suprise Party for Bert
  3. Harvey Kneeslapper's Door Prank.
  4. News Flash : Sleeping Beauty.
  5. Kermit's Lecture on Between.
  6. The Count and Cookie Monster Cooperate.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I don't think that the sketch with Kermit and Bob discussing frogs is from the first season. In the clip I've seen, Kermit had two collars, and he didn't have two collars in the first season. Unless, of course, there are more than one skit with Kermit and Bob discussing frogs.

Anyway, I thought I'd list segments from the first five seasons that me and Grover both picked. Some are titled/ described differently from how we listed them, but still the same:

1. Baker #9 (I listed this as Let's Sing a Song of Nine)
2. Professor Hastings body parts lecture
3. Kermit and Bob discuss frogs
4. Grover and Herbert Birdsfoot count three blocks
5. Beat the Time with grover
6. The Count and Cookie Monster cooperate

Grover, is the skit you described as Case of the Missing Twiddlebugs the same sketch I mentioend as Sherlock Hemlock and the Twiddlebugs Mystery, which was adapted into the book Sherlock Hemlock and the Twiddlebug Mystery? In this sketch, Sherlock Hemlock solves a mystery by claimming that the Twiddlebugs were reposnible for a mess in somebody's front yard, only for it to be revealed that somebody was having a birthday party.... and after Sherlock Hemlock is proven wrong, it turns out that he was right all along. Is this the skit you are talking about? Because that skit didn't really involve missing Twiddlebugs.

Grover

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I don't think that the sketch with Kermit and Bob discussing frogs is from the first season. In the clip I've seen, Kermit had two collars, and he didn't have two collars in the first season. Unless, of course, there are more than one skit with Kermit and Bob discussing frogs.

Grover, is the skit you described as Case of the Missing Twiddlebugs the same sketch I mentioned as Sherlock Hemlock and the Twiddlebugs Mystery, which was adapted into the book Sherlock Hemlock and the Twiddlebug Mystery? In this sketch, Sherlock Hemlock solves a mystery by claimming that the Twiddlebugs were reposnible for a mess in somebody's front yard, only for it to be revealed that somebody was having a birthday party.... and after Sherlock Hemlock is proven wrong, it turns out that he was right all along. Is this the skit you are talking about? Because that skit didn't really involve missing Twiddlebugs.
Unless I am mistaken I recall the skit where Kermit and Bob discuss frogs being from the first season. You can tell that Kermit's eyes are weak and the first season version of Kermit is being used. I might be wrong about this skit being in the first season but I recall seeing a clip of this skit from the A&E Biography.

The skit that I labled as "The Case of The Missing Twiddlebugs" is same as the one as you mentioned it " Sherlock Hemlock and The Twiddlebug Mystery". My mistake for labeling that sketch.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Grover said:
Unless I am mistaken I recall the skit where Kermit and Bob discuss frogs being from the first season. You can tell that Kermit's eyes are weak and the first season version of Kermit is being used. I might be wrong about this skit being in the first season but I recall seeing a clip of this skit from the A&E Biography.
It's been a few years since I last watched the A&E biography special, but from what I remember about the clip, Kermit wore two collars, and he only wore one collar in the first season, began wearing two collars shortly afterwards (did he ever wear it in 1970?), and then went back to one collar in either 1975 or 1976. And I've been able to remember if I saw Kermit wearing one or two collars since 1992.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Since Grover confirmed that we were talking about the same Twiddlebug mystery skit, then I'll update the list of sketches that the most people have requested:

1. Baker #9 (I listed this as Let's Sing a Song of Nine)
2. Professor Hastings body parts lecture
3. Kermit and Bob discuss frogs
4. Grover and Herbert Birdsfoot count three blocks
5. Beat the Time with grover
6. The Count and Cookie Monster cooperate
7. Sherlock Hemlock and Twiddlebug mystery

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I would like to make a suggestion for whoever wants to compile what 40 skits end up being the most requested here and wants to send the list to Sesame Workshop. If somebody does, and that person owns a copy of the first Old School, it would be a good idea to say that you have a copy, and say what you thought about it (though don't give a big review, as this should be more about the next set). Also, let it be known to Sesame Workshop that you do not know if a second volume is even planned, that you are aware that Sesame Workshop doesn't have to release every sketch voted for the top 40 if Sesame Workshop doens't want to or is unable to release certain sketches that everybody votes for (perhaps many of us vote for a song that was not written for the show that SW can't get the video rights to the song), and that you don't know how far in advance the contents for the volumes are planned.

I am not sure if Sesame Workshop would be allowed to read a top 40 list that most fans have requested (would posting what the 40 most requested skits from fans be different from Palisades Toys taking suggestions from the fans?), so it might be a good idea to list a link to this thread, or mention this website and the threads title. Again, I am not sure if this would be too different from Palisades Toys comming here to look at wish lists.

I wonder how far in advance the sketches for these DVDs are planned, if there even are current plans. I know that for each volume of the Looney Tunes: Golden Collection DVD series that Warner Brothers has already planned the contents of the currently-unnanounced volumes 5-10, so Sesame Workshop could have contents planned for up to four (or more or less) volumes.

TotallySpiesFan

Reaction score
How about this:

1. Queen of Six
2. Has Anybody Seen My Dog
3. Jazz #7
4. Ernie borrows Herbert Birdsfoot's vacuum cleaner (I listed this as Borrowing a Vacuum Cleaner)
5. What's My Part?: Foot
6. A Family Song (seen in Shalom Sesame: Tel Aviv)
7. One of These Things (featuring Cookie Monster)
8. Sherlock Hemlock's Twiddlebug Mystery

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Good list. Now let's see what has been voted on more than once:

1. Sherlock Hemlock and the Twiddlebug Mystery (the only one that all three of us who have voted on)
2. What's My Part?: Foot
3. Baker #9
4. Professor Hastings body parts lecture
5. The Count and Cookie Monster cooperate
6. Kermit and Bob discuss frogs
7. Grover and Herbert Birdsfoot count three blocks
8. Beat the Time with Grover

Totally Spies Fan, feel free to nominate more (up to 40). I think Grover didn't quite nominate 40, either. And feel free to vote for some 1974-1979 sketches, in case the next volume is those years.