Top 5 people you'd like to meet in heaven

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Muppet Newsgirl said:
That is true; when I was a kid, it seemed like I was the only one who listened to what would be termed as classic rock.

But still, when Mom told us that story, my brother's and my jaws dropped.
Yeah I was pretty much the only Beatles person in school. But you meet more people as you get older who share your interests. And anyway, it's fun being considered the "resident expert", hehe. That is, until you meet someone who knows more than you!

Yeah I would have been upset by that story too! It really depends on the kid. I went to a party that had karaoke once. These 8 year old girls came up to the DJ out of nowhere, asking for ONLY Beatles songs! At this point, at large part of the responsibility falls on the parent to introduce their kids to classic entertainment.

Kiki

Reaction score
Muppet Newsgirl said:
Yeah...a lot of my favorite Beatles tunes, like "Here Comes the Sun" and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" are George's tunes.

I had just turned 16 when George died. It was a Friday, kinda gray and wet. Typical late November weather. I remember getting up that morning, staggering down the hall still half-asleep, and hearing "Here Comes the Sun" playing on the radio in my brother's room. And then Chris comes out and announces, very formally and solemnly, that George had died.
In homeroom, one of my classmates saw me reading a Beatles magazine, and he asked, "Did that guy die?" When I said yes, he cursed a bit. And in French class that day, after the teacher took roll, she asked us, "Qui est mort?" ("Who has died?") And a bunch of us said "George Harrison" in unison.
I remember one girl, one I never really got along with during high school, immediately asking who George Harrison was. The other kids all seemed kind of shocked when she asked that.
Touching story, Erin. :sympathy:
nowdays, I don't know ANY (and I am not kidding here) kids who know who George is, well- maybe the odd few but other than that... argh, I think it's kinda sad.

Snowthy, I'm just like you! I don't know any other people my age who are into retro stuff, old shows/films, records, Muppets, or 60's 70's and 80's music. It's so weird. And sometimes I might say something at school or whatever that's a refernce from something, like a movie or from the Muppets (eg. once my teacher said 'phanomenom' and I replied 'doo doo doo doo doo'.) and no one get it. My teacher usually does but my classmates just give me this blank look. Even if it's a really common well-known quote or something.

(Btw, sorry 'bout the muffining y'all! :wink: )

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Kiki said:
Snowthy, I'm just like you! I don't know any other people my age who are into retro stuff, old shows/films, records, Muppets, or 60's 70's and 80's music. It's so weird. And sometimes I might say something at school or whatever that's a refernce from something, like a movie or from the Muppets (eg. once my teacher said 'phanomenom' and I replied 'doo doo doo doo doo'.) and no one get it. My teacher usually does but my classmates just give me this blank look. Even if it's a really common well-known quote or something.
Wow, I really thought I was the only one in the world who had experienced this. I know it isn't nice to say this, but it sort of makes me feel better. You know, to know I wasn't alone. It's so frustrating when you're the only one who knows about these things. And everyone else thinks it's irrelevant to their lives. It does get better though as you get older and meet a larger group of people.

There was a Star Trek special a few years ago, which included a ton of celebrities. Ben Stiller (I love him!) talked about being called a nerd for being a Trekkie. He said, "But now I'm sharing the stage with the cast of Frasier and Kenny G....who's the nerd???"

Lol, I think that says it all. :smile:

zeldazipple

Reaction score
Ok I'll give it a go. Thee's so maney people who I would have like to have met but now have passed, and people I once knew who arnt with us anymore.
Jim Henson
Jack Wild
Paul Whinchell
Sherry Lewis
John Denver

People who I knew, and would like to see again.
My mum Una who passed away from breast cancer in 98
My Brother Paul who Passedaway when I was 12 in 87
My father who passed away from a heart attack in 83
Nigel a friend of mine who I haven't seen in years
Teddy another friend of mine who I lost touch with

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I never really had this problem growing up with people not knowing about the muppets and things like that. I mean it's like that Beetles were just becoming popular again. But it's like the older I get, the less younger people know about theses kind of things. and I'm not trying to put down younger people then me either.

But what I have found out is that people around my age who like current stuff, if you mention older things, you usually a usually get a positive response back and even fond memories. But I have found that for people who might not know about some of the older stuff is that they are usually interested in kowing, finding out, learing about. So I don't really blame them, but the media for sending the message that old=bad the the poing where it is hard to come by.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Absolutely, kids are told this by the media in so many ways, what's old is bad and you don't have to worry about it. Your own little bubble (and all the cool stuff we create for you) is the only thing that matters.

That's why I always say kids entertainment needs to occasionally incorporate adult humor as well as the kid's stuff.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
It's more the peopoe in charge who are just looking for something marketable over substance any day of the week. Maketable does not always equeal to good. They just want somting designed woth the "sole" poupous of making money.

WHat I have noticed is that the stuff that is created for kids now are just for the here and now and was just created to be old and forgotten about next week or something. It's something that will not last and will just be forgotten about ten years from now.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The thing is, it's always been like this. Every generation has their "stuff that lasts for two minutes" fads. But it feels like it's different now, even worse than usual.

Of course, this may be the way the world has worked all along. I mean, I haven't exactly lived a whole lifetime yet, so I may not know the whole story. The world existed many many years before our little problems surfaced.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I guess you are right. Maybe it just slowyl pogerssively gets worse every time or somthing. LOL!

Katzi428

Reaction score
Here's a couple of people I'd like to meet in heaven:
1)my maternal grandfather (he died when my mom was little)
2) Jim Henson (needless to say)
3)Joe Raposo (I'd tell him how much I loved his songs)

I realize that's only 3.As far as getting reacquainted with people that have passed away in my life:
1) my dad (that goes without saying)
2)my grandmother (his mother)
3) my grandfather (his father...he gave me the nickname "Katzi")
4) my other grandmother (my mother's mother)
5)my friend's brother (let's just say he died when he wasn't supposed to)
A bunch of others..too many to mention