1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Top 5 Retired Sesame Street Muppets

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by BEAR, Jan 29, 2008.

1. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

Frogboy4 started a thread like this in the Classic Muppets section of the forum, and I decided to rip it off!:p ...

Who are your top 5 retired Muppets from Sesame Street that you'd like to see make a comeback?

Here are mine in no particular order:

1. Herry Monster - Sure, he's around sometimes in the background or older footage, but he is such a lovable classic character that needs to be brought out again)

2. Bruno - (I was watching Follow That Bird the other day and was reminded of how awesome he was! I loved the end when he is taking Oscar for a walk and then stops and looks back at the kids playing like he wants to join in. Bruno seems so sweet to me and the character looked cool too. I love that he was the only full-bodied humanoid Muppet on SS)

3. Wolfgang the Seal - So cute!

4. The Honkers - They just need to use them more.

5. Kermit the Frog - Not that he is retired from the Muppet World, but he is retired from Sesame Street.
  2. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Okay, I'll bite on this one too. :p

1 Herry Monster (I miss his blue fuzzy self)
    2 Kermit the Frog (I miss his reports)
    3 Little Bird (whatever happened to him?)
    4 Bruno (word is he was never rebuilt)
    5 The Yip Yips (I know, a simple gag, but it's funny)
    (along with the cast of Sesame Street before it became the Elmo Show) :grouchy:

Elmo is my choice for a character that could hang in the background for a while so the other fuzzy fellas can have a turn. S is for Sesame and it's also for Sharing! :(
  3. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

I think she is still around, just in the background.
  4. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

1. Biff and Sully (yeah, counts as two, but who cares?)
    2. Lefty
    3. Herry Monster
    4. Bruno
    5. Forgetful Jones
  5. redBoobergurl

redBoobergurl Well-Known Member

5. Betty Lou - she was rather spunky and fun, don't see much of her these days I think, I could be wrong though
    4. Herry Monster - I agree with what has already been said
    3. Frazzle - Come on, he was just a big old cuddly monster deep down
    2. Harvey Kneeslapper - I just loved his one liners, I do know it was hard on Frank Oz's voice to perform him though
    1. Kermit the Frog - SS isn't the same without him
  6. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

So is Herry Monster. plus they use at least one or two older clips a year featuring him.

My list would be:

Don Music- A frustraited musician that can't write pre-existing public domain nursery Rhyme music? That's funny. Him rewriting it to make sense? That's funnier. They could have easily toned down his head banging and kept him around a little longer. Indeed, I heard they did.

Guy Smiley- A dead on satire of 1970's style game show hosts, complete with air raid siren loud shouting.

Leo, the Party Monster- Richard Hunt doing what he does best. Weird, loud, wacky characters with bizarre personalities.

Forgetful Jones- Another Richard Hunt pick. What can I say, I just miss the guy.

Sherlock Hemlock- I really loved this guy as a kid, and I still do. A defective detective that looks too closely at the evidence and comes up with his own conclusion. Considering I watched a lot of Inspector Gadget, Mighty Heroes, and Super Chicken as a child, no wonder I love defective characters.
  7. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I still think of Little Bird as a boy. Has that ever been established or is it up to individual interpretation? Jim began the character, if I am correct. :)
  8. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Well If Herry's still in the background then he's not retired and I think The Honkers were on some Elmo's World piece so they're probably not totally gone either.
  9. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I still look at silent characters as retired kind of like how Scooter and Rowlf were treated for so long until several years ago. How long has it been since Herry has spoken in a new segment?
  10. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

Don Music
    Forgetful Jones
    Sam the Robot (who sort of had a revival in "A Sesame Street Christmas Carol")
    Barkley (I've heard he's more or less retired- that's a shame- definitely love to see him on Sesame Street again)
    Guy Smiley
    Sherlock Hemlock
    Harvey Kneeslapper
    Sonny Friendly
    Biff and Sully
    Little Bird
    Betty Lou
    Roosevelt Franklin
    Dr. Nobel Price
    Baby Monster
    Scudge
    Farley
    Rodeo Rosie
    Herbert Birdsfoot
    Beautiful Day Monster
    and Kermit in new sketches, song and Street scenes
  11. superboober

superboober Member

1. Sherlock Hemlock
    2. Guy Smiley
    3. Herry
    4. Don Music
    5. Forgetful Jones
  12. Drtooth

Yeah, I feel it's inbetween. But then again, SS is a special case. While the character is semi-retired they do use older segments featuring him. And some of them are pretty recent. I believe a couple seasons back he had one line at the opening of the first episode. But that was about it. I can't call him current, but I can't call him retired. he's in between that.

But if that's the case, I might as well pull Guy Smiley out of the list, as the was used 2 times recently. Not too recent, but he was in a Ready to Learn commercial as well as something in a children's museum.
  13. twasbrillig12

twasbrillig12 Member

1. The Yip Yips, loved those guys
    2. Kermit of course, everyone needs a little green
    3. Don Music, for all us frustrated people out there
    4. Guy Smiley, I wish all gameshow hosts could be as enthused
    5. Forgetful Jones, who could ever forget Oklahoma? I loved that sketch as a kid
  14. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

It would also be great if Little Jerry and the Monotones were brought back.
  15. Drtooth

Someone else would have to do his voice. I don't think Jerry can hit the really high voices anymore.
  16. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

My top 5 picks:

5. Guy Smiley. The newer Muppet game-show hosts don't hold a candle to him; relegating him to that "Double GetWordy" spot between PBS Kids shows is a terrible shame.

4. The Amazing Mumford. Yes, Abby Cadabby has taken over the "botched magic" street stories now; but I miss the chemistry he had with Grover and Maria.

3. Don Music. A guy who can't even write the alphabet song without someone dropping hints is hilarious...especially since the first letter he forgets in that sketch (G) is also the name of a musical note. ;-) I also love the way his house band always pops out of nowhere to perform the finished rewrites; how many real-life composers are that lucky? Yes, Don had a temper and inspired a few real kids to imitate his head-banging...but CTW had the sense to cut that back in the character's later years.

2. Roosevelt Franklin. Class clowns existed in elementary schools long before this guy appeared on Sesame Street; did CTW really think banning one character was going to make such a huge difference? As for racial stereotypes, there've been far worse ones on TV: Roosevelt Franklin was articulate, intelligent, and willing to tell his classmates the whole truth.

And the number-one Muppet character I'd love to see back on the Street...

[SFX: David Letterman-style drum roll]

1. Kermit the Frog may never completely be the same with anyone besides Jim Henson performing him. Still, he was the most versatile and three-dimensional of the original Muppet cast--at home with nearly anyone, able to teach almost anything the show demanded, and never spoiled by his time in the spotlight.
  17. Son of Enik

Son of Enik Member

Kermit would have to top my list and then in no particular order...
    Roosevelt Franklin
    Forgetful Jones
    Herry (ah...memories)
    Sherlock Hemlock
    Frazzle (the Gene Simmons of Muppets!)
    Osvaldo the Grouch (has a place in my heart since I am half Latino)
    and we'll round it out with the Honkers and Yip Yip Martians.
  18. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

In no particular order...

Roxy Marie
    Alice
    Barkley
    Don Music
    Benny Bunny
  19. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Posted my thoughts on the overexposure of Elmo in the retired Muppets list thread before i discovered this one (quick summary - it's not so much that he's been overexposed but it's been his personality/design changes that have annoyed me in the past decade more than his screentime), so here's my list...with one exception, nothing that hasn't been mentioned already...

(in no particular order)
    Herry - not only do i miss him, but i miss his old design but i miss some of his older personality traits (clumsiness, his simulaneous love for things like barbells and dollies, being a bit more initially intimidating than other monsters but completely sweet once you got to know him - that to me defines the essence of what the Sesame Street monsters - well actually all the Muppet monsters are about)

Guy Smiley - he's made baby steps out of retirement but let's see him more of the show proper and in the higher profile specials/video released.

Benny Bunny - way too classic of a character that was a casualty of the show's getting back to its roots and away from the Around the Corner crowd in season 30.

Frazzle - but he needs to be brought back in his original characterization - he did enjoy a revival around the early 90's (as did a lot of Jerry Nelson's characters) but they started to ruin his character by defining that he was a "younger" monster than the others and that his monsterish-ness was more a result of his younger age.

Lord Chatterly. Again i'm thankful that he got a temporary revival in the early 90's with the resurgence of Jerry Nelson characters since that was a character i thought would NEVER be brought back at all - but i would love to see him yet again.

(Honorable mention at place #6:) Don Music - i know the child psychologists/PC crowd at Sesame Workshop don't like him, but he could be brought back without his head banging tendancies (even with his "I'll never get it right - never" catchphrase just without that last "punctuation") and done well by someone like David Rudman. In fact i would go so far as to say he could be a valuable part of the curriculum by using him as an example of how frustration is a legitimate and valid emotion and how it can be dealt with in different ways - showing Don's defeatist tendancies which is then countered with other characters in the Kermit role (if not the frog himself) showing him that he can still reach his goals if he doesn't give up.
  20. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

MY LIST OF THE TOP 5 RITIRED SESAME STREET MUPPETS

1. Guy Smiley

2. Roosevelt Franklin

3. Sam The Robot

4. Don Music

5. Harvey Kneeslapper