Top Film 2008

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Well,I don't hope that it fails... It could bring new fans to the original show.

Plus, I wouldn't want them to lose all that money they spent on this film.
If new fans want to get into the series, buy the dvds.

But if the movie brings in people who don't normally watch Star Trek and they do try to get into the 5 series and other movies but can't because those are really different than the new movie, then obviously we conclude that they really don't care about trek and probably won't bother watching the next film (assuming the new film is successful).

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
If new fans want to get into the series, buy the dvds.

But if the movie brings in people who don't normally watch Star Trek and they do try to get into the 5 series and other movies but can't because those are really different than the new movie, then obviously we conclude that they really don't care about trek and probably won't bother watching the next film (assuming the new film is successful).
Well, I think they are just trying to appeal to a broader audience because like you said, not everybody is a trek fan. Besides, their main objective is to make money, and appealing to just trek fans is not is not going to get that done. I think it is possible that it can appeal to a general audience while still saying true to true Trekkie's. It think it will be successful for those very reasons.