Tough Pigs?

CaptCrouton

Reaction score
Ida know Luke,

Seems like you were taking potshots at MC yourself.

As for me, I've read both sites. I prefer MC because it's a happier place and I like some lightness at the end of the day. Tough Pigs is really an angrier and darker. Kind of like the Muppets Pool Hall or something.

Don't get me wrong. The articles are more prolific, and the writers are good at mockery. It's always sarcastic and sometimes funny. But I prefer a website that I can take my kids too and feel good about since they're equally interested in the muppets. Cause Muppets are family-oriented. They're supposed to be family that's why Gortch didn't work. Read the articles at TP and you'll see why.

Anyway that's my HO,
Markus

Luke

Reaction score
Markus,

Not so much potshots, just the way i've seen things develop over the years. I'm fed up with people trying to force opinions on others and being shovel fed things the site wants to push, with little mention of others. If there is any faith in the brand or the site visitors then they'll be presented with the facts and left to make up their own mind without any candy-coating. You don't need to do that to create a 'family' type atmosphere although i admire MC for it's more general stance. There have certainly things that have been said on 'Tough Pigs' that i don't agree with either. Hopefully a few more large fansites should be popping up fairly soon to give fans even more choice.

Danny Horn

Reaction score
I have to say, I agree with a lot of what Daniel R said. I totally agree that Muppet fans should be working on building things rather than tearing things down. I've seen a lot of growth and new stuff happening in the Muppet fan community over the last year, which I'm really excited about. I don't like it when people just whine and complain about problems, without making the effort to work on solutions.

The one thing that I disagree about is the question of whether we can criticize fan sites. Daniel says we shouldn't make fun of articles that are posted on websites. I think websites are public, and can be "reviewed" and criticized just like TV shows, movies or magazines.

When write an article and post it on Tough Pigs, I figure it's out there in the world for people to see. Maybe people will treasure it and build their lives around its precepts. Maybe people will hate it and make fun of it. But I'm a big boy, and that's show biz. If you put stuff out on public display, you have to expect that people will read it and have an opinion about it.

I don't twist people's arms and force them to write articles and publish them on the web. If folks are really scared that their articles will be read with a critical eye, then they could either distribute them secretly to their friends, or write better articles. This isn't the special olympics, where everybody gets a medal just for showing up. In the real world, you get more praise if you do stuff well.

Daniel R says, essentially, that grown-ups should act like grown-ups. I couldn't agree more.

-- Danny

www.ToughPigs.com
The Fansite for Discriminating Doll-wigglers

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Originally posted by Danny Horn

Daniel R says, essentially, that grown-ups should act like grown-ups. I couldn't agree more.

Yeah, but from what I have seen, he doesn't always subscribe to his own advice.

danielromens

Reaction score
***FellowW
Yeah, but from what I have seen, he doesn't always subscribe to his own advice.***

Nor do I pretend to. here's something I wrote in my original post.
***Mind you this is coming from a guy who is oft considered sarcastic and sometimes also called an *******, such as Danny was. I think in the right context it's hilarious. But as a constant user of these sites, I try, repeat TRY to keep my feelings about each place in check these days. ***

Danny, I'm glad you caught my point. I'm learning the ways of the Toughpigs. Less like overvealous jerks and more like dudes having a good time.
As for the ripping on articles, I see your point, but I guess I need to be a bit more clear. I guess I see more wrong in the criticism of a persons post. Sometimes a persons question doesn't really seem answered, it's more like bullies making fun of a nerd for saying something dumb or misspelling something, which is usually just a quick and sloppy typo. It just tends to make things somewhat cliquey and unwelcoming. Though I do often find myself laughing.... As for the making fun of an article, which is what I call it, it's as follows. You make it sound like it's a bit like a critique of a television show, I'm referring more to a backround gossip "oh my god did you see what that jungle yhetti wore to the prom" sort of thing. There is a difference between a constructive criticism and a mean spirited attack.

As for Luke. I see your point, though I'll intergect a bit of knowledge for you as well. About the only thing I haven't seen is the actual personal interactions of those involved with the group. I assume you have than or at least have heard a side, be it one or many, of the story. As for your following the site for four years, likewise man, same with toughpigs. I just choose not to post as often unless I really feel I need to give an opinion. Usually I just come for news. It's a **** of a lot more interesting usually. Though in between I like to read and every now and then participate in some of the fights. As a whole though I just find the whole internet based squabbling kind of geeky. Way waste the time. Some of you cats post tons of posts in these things, I just don't have the time. So I look for the stuff that has a bit more substance. To each his own I guess.

Daniel Romens
Dharma Bum

Jackie

Reaction score
Lol, sometimes you just have to lighten up and let things happen. There are other more important things to get all angry about. Like when your palisades email will come! LOL!!! :wink:

danielromens

Reaction score
Jackie,
I agree fully man, I've sent for the invisible Foz and the Club and I have yet to recieve either. Frightning. My bank account's gotten notice that's for sure.

Scarecrowe,
I assume your reply was to prove the point that you do have time. If the arguments are muppet related, then I'll take a gander and get involved. If it's just people bashing each other or taking potshots at someones efforts, I chose not involve myself in the negativity. Though from what I read, neither do you it would seem. I just don't see the point. Sorry for any confusion.

Luke

Reaction score
To be honest, i'm here for the Muppet fan community as a whole - many of the people here have become friends over the years and i'm here for them rather than to specifically support either site, although i enjoy all Muppet sites. I hope in the years to come more sites will launch and give us a more balanced internet community like the Simpsons sites have. A lot of the time, i'll laugh about things and realise it takes all sorts to make this wacky world the place it is. If things go too far, someone gets unfairly treated, or i see something happening where i feel the fans or the brand is being used, abused or exploited by anyone then i'll usually speak out in the hope it will stimulate some thought and maybe a solution to the situation. I think it's only natural as part of the community to care about how it develops.

danielromens

Reaction score
Luke, you're a gentleman and a scholar. I echo your sentiment. The last fest myself and my buddy Andy didn't really know anyone and missed the get togethers. Hopefully at the next fest I can meet some of you folks. Person to person tends to be a lot more successful in terms of finding a persons wavelength. I've come to believe I'm a lot closer to you folks in that area than I thought.

take care man.