1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

TV Alert: Muppets at the 84th Academy Awards on ABC

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by Phillip, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

Where were Kermit and Piggy on the show?
  2. mbmfrog

mbmfrog Active Member

I have to ask, wouldn't have been a bit funny to see :mad: reaction to the win ?

At least Kermit would be modest and say that the movie was worth it and that Jim would be proud. :)

Still for the Muppet movie to FINALLY win one and after all her complaints it would have been interesting to see how Miss. Piggy would have reacted to the win.
  3. Linx

Linx New Member

Phillip and Muppet fan 123 like this.
  4. DannyRWW

DannyRWW Well-Known Member

Wow there was all sorts of muppety goodness last night
  5. Gonzo's Hobbit

Gonzo's Hobbit Well-Known Member

You mean on the Oscars? They did a little bit in the middle where they were up in a balcony. It was before the Cirque Du Sollie (I probably didn't speel that right) thing about going to the movies which was pretty cool.
  6. LouisTheOtter

LouisTheOtter Well-Known Member

At about 11:15 p.m. Atlantic time, my wife (also a Muppet fan) reminded me that we have "quiet hours" at our apartment and that we should hold my enthusiasm if "Man or Muppet" won...and that still didn't keep me from letting out a big "YES!!!" when Will Ferrell read Bret McKenzie's name!!!

I'm still smiling over this, two days later. "Man Or Muppet" was easily one of the best parts of The Muppets (and the original scene was one of the funniest things I've seen on a movie screen in the past 10 years) and I'm so happy it got Academy props!

And Bret's speech, while omitting Jason (who didn't seem to mind) and Nick, had just the right touch, especially with his line about Kermit "being like everyone else in Hollywood - a lot smaller in person" and the lovely thank-you to Jim Henson at the end.

Yes, we're all disappointed that the Oscar producers didn't make room for the nominated songs (you had time for Cirque du Soleil and allegedly-famous actors gushing about "the movie experience" but no time for two songs?!?). But don't let that diminish the REAL STORY here...

THE MUPPETS FINALLY HAVE AN ACADEMY AWARD!!! YEAH!!!
    Muppet fan 123 and DannyRWW like this.
  7. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Like I said, half of it was just a sad commercial for trying to get people into the theaters. And yes, some of it sounded like a wimpy plea to get SOPA resurrected because if there's one thing that they're losing money off of it's youtube clips and grainy iPhone footage of movies that people who wouldn't go see those films anyway download off of torrents (causally ignoring places that SELL bootlegged copies of DVD's and Chinese sweatshop, lead paint covered "Spader-Man" dolls)... again, slash the freaking prices to a reasonable 7 bucks a ticket (you run enough commercials before the film already that we should be able to see them for free), and maybe people will come back.

But yeah... the real news is that the Muppets have been Susan Lucci-ed out of winning best song for years. I mean, granted... "the First Time it Happens" was hardly the best song in that movie... "Hey a Movie!" and especially "Happiness Hotel" should have got the nomination, as they were far superior and much more indicative of the Muppets.... but Rainbow Connection losing to something from "Martha Rae?!" Yeah... EVERYONE knows how that song goes. How memorable was it that no band has ever covered it ever? I'm almost glad the only competition was their usual WTFrog nomination for something from Rio... Though I still wish that Captain America's wonderful musical number got SOME recognition... but then again, considering who wrote the music for that, it could have won, easily and we wouldn't have our first Academy Award go to a Muppet project.
  8. Muppetfan2011

Muppetfan2011 Member

"Thanks to the Lovers, The Dreamers, and Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!" (The Muppet Movie)
    PanthraDion likes this.
  9. KoozbanianFrakl

KoozbanianFrakl New Member

Bret thanked Jim, and Jason looked like he was going to cry! Loved it!:)
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  10. LouisTheOtter

I finally listened to the Oscar-winning Norma Rae song ("It Goes How It Goes" by Jennifer Warnes) on YouTube this morning. It's not bad - quite pretty as a matter of fact - but it struck me as a bit cliched and repetitive.

I'm probably biased as I have 32 years of experience with "Rainbow Connection" as opposed to 32 minutes with "It Goes How It Goes" (I never saw Norma Rae), but I don't think the song stacks up lyrically or melodically to "Rainbow Connection." And you're right, it certainly hasn't emerged as the timeless, classic favourite that "Rainbow Connection" has become.

"Hey A Movie" was always been one of my favourite Muppet songs and if there's any of their material that works as an Oscar nominee (especially as an Oscar production number), that's the one. But I like "The First Time It Happens" so I'm glad that one got a nomination.

I like the Susan Lucci comparison - Susan Lucci might even like it...She'd probably fit in a Muppet Show revival or TV special, come to think of it.
  11. Alvin

Alvin Active Member

I don't know what it is about this soundtrack, but I can't stop listening or singing the songs....these are some of the best Muppet Songs in a long time!
  12. MuppetGuy75

MuppetGuy75 Active Member

I'm so thrilled about the Oscar win! That was LONG over due! I was so happy for them! It was also great to see Kermit and Piggy all dressed up! :) Now the fun part about this all is that The Muppets will forever be known as the Academy Award winning film. Sweeeet!
  13. mbmfrog

mbmfrog Active Member

I have to say even I'm kind of scared about saying that in a sentence, but that's becuase I never did see the new movie. :concern:
    It is a shame that that this movie made it when the others didn't. :sympathy:
    heralde likes this.
  14. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Oh you're right, this should have happened years ago, fer sure.
  15. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

The Academy has always chosen some pretty ehhh songs that don't seem that special, or at worst cases give you a complete feeling of "WHAT IN THE..?..... ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MINDS?!?!" it sometimes feels like it's the last category they have to judge on after a long, long day and they just want to go home, and are completely annoyed there's something else left to do they forgot and already got up and got their coats and walked halfway through the door. Which explains how it was handled this year.

Now, South Park famously lampooned the fact "Blame Canada" (which was a miracle nomination) lost to Phil Collins's lame "You'll be in my Heart" from Tarzan (which, I guess if In saw in theaters and didn't feel that Inspector Gadget's merchandising got the bum's rush because of it, I'd probably like it better)... I think that's the episode where Timmy is a rock star, but I'm not sure... but "It's Hard out there for a Pimp" was the jaw drop heard 'round the world (family friendly forum, and reading Cracked articles all day conflicted and that's the best I could think of).

I fail to see why nothing from MCC or MTI wasn't nominated for anything.

But Man or Muppet beat incredibly stupid odds of only 2 songs being nominated and won. I was almost sure it would lose to the very subpar Rio song. You know, just to be The Academy.
  16. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Yeah, typical! Lol ;)

Yeah even though MCC isn't my favorite movie, I can totally see their soundtrack getting some recognition.
  17. LouisTheOtter

Surprised nobody has mentioned this yet: The "Man or Muppet" Oscar was co-presented by Zack "Hobo Joe" Galafiankis! Tres cool, non???
    DannyRWW and kyunkyua like this.
  18. DannyRWW

DannyRWW Well-Known Member

You know I was so frustrated about the lengthy introcudtion to this and the fact they were not performing that I didn't even think about that. cool though.