Uncle Deadly WILL be in the New Muppet movie!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
1. I second the Digit and Leon, and other JHH characters!

2. Given Segal seems more familiar with 70's and 80's Muppets, he almost seems to have Pepe MIA. Pepe to me is one of the main characters, and it wouldn't make sense to not have him in one of the main roles
I have a feeling that Pepe's involvement at the table read landed him a lot more lines. There are some fans out there with a strange aversion to Pepe when he's been one of the major contributors to maintaining the Muppet brand and keeping it fresh. We're getting some classic characters back in the mix and that's largely due to the work of Steve Whimire's Kermit, Dave Goelz' Gonzo and Bill Barretta's Pepe. I have a feeling this film will have much more of an ensemble feel to it. Hearing about the lack of Scooter and Pepe in the script saddened me, but I don't think that's permanent. Maybe they just had a hard time finding the voices of these characters in the writing process.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hearing about the lack of Scooter and Pepe in the script saddened me, but I don't think that's permanent. Maybe they just had a hard time finding the voices of these characters in the writing process.
Among other things, we are speaking of an early draft. Things can easily have changed in the process, and I'm guessing some high ups in the Muppet production company (say, Jim Lewis) would help punch some stuff up if they needed to write for characters. I mean, they didn't even know who Uncle Deadly was until the director brought it up. Anything can change between the scripting and filming process... some characters may be added, some may be taken out or just toned down.

I'd rather see Pepe and Scooter than any of the more obscure characters in the Muppet canon, and I'd really like to see if Brain can take some time off of the Henson gig to perform some of his characters for at least one or two lines... even if he has to just dub stuff in.

I want to see everyone possible in this movie.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I mean, they didn't even know who Uncle Deadly was until the director brought it up.
To be fair, I've been a Muppet fan my whole life, but had no idea who Uncle Deadly was until 2003 or 2004. He's not exactly the first Muppet to come to mind, and has never been in a Muppet movie prominently.

It seems that since James Bobin was so keen to suggest Uncle Deadly, it's very likely he found some places to add Scooter (and Pepe and others) to the script.

I'd rather see Pepe and Scooter than any of the more obscure characters in the Muppet canon, and I'd really like to see if Brain can take some time off of the Henson gig to perform some of his characters for at least one or two lines... even if he has to just dub stuff in.
Brian said in an interview recently that he wouldn't be in it. He would consult, but not perform. Very sad, since Johnny and Sal were the funniest act to come out of Muppets Tonight, I think. Perhaps with the exception of Bobo.

beaker

Reaction score
To be fair, I've been a Muppet fan my whole life, but had no idea who Uncle Deadly was until 2003 or 2004. He's not exactly the first Muppet to come to mind, and has never been in a Muppet movie prominently.

It seems that since James Bobin was so keen to suggest Uncle Deadly, it's very likely he found some places to add Scooter (and Pepe and others) to the script.

Brian said in an interview recently that he wouldn't be in it. He would consult, but not perform. Very sad, since Johnny and Sal were the funniest act to come out of Muppets Tonight, I think. Perhaps with the exception of Bobo.
We as Muppet fans really have to detatch ourselves from the Jim Henson Company. There is very little, if any connection between them and the Muppets anymore. And while many of us of course opposed a Disney buyout at first, I think it's pretty clear disney not only picked up the fumbled ball...but is going to take the Muppets to heights we've only dreamed of happening again. For those worried that the Muppets would seem a shell of themselves, I point to the muppets.com and youtube sketches.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
We as Muppet fans really have to detatch ourselves from the Jim Henson Company. There is very little, if any connection between them and the Muppets anymore. And while many of us of course opposed a Disney buyout at first, I think it's pretty clear disney not only picked up the fumbled ball...but is going to take the Muppets to heights we've only dreamed of happening again. For those worried that the Muppets would seem a shell of themselves, I point to the muppets.com and youtube sketches.
:confused:

I agree with much of what you say, but I'm not sure I see what it has to do with my comments. I think it is very sad that Brian is unable to perform with the Muppet characters for whatever reason. His Muppets are hillarious. I agree that Disney's doing great things for the Muppets, but I do wish that the two companies (JHC and Diz) could work together a bit more.

Mupp

Reaction score
I'm sure that if they really want to have Sal in the film, they could always find a new performer, or perhaps Brain could loop the lines in post production.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that if they really want to have Sal in the film, they could always find a new performer, or perhaps Brain could loop the lines in post production.
I agree. It looks like Disney wants longevity to the characters seen in the film so a recast would make sense, but the whole Bill & Brian wit can't really be replicated with another performer. There's something about that duo.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't see why he can't just over dub or something myself... do the lines from the phone or something. Very disappointing he's not going to be involved with the film like that, though.