Underdog the movie

Telly

Reaction score
I was never really a fan of Underdog. I don't know how I feel about the movie. I think if it wasn't a show before a movie, it would've been good. But actual fans of the show aren't gonna like it. Maybe the younger crowd will give the cartoon a chance after seeing the movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's oddly enough how I felt (or similar) to the Super Mario movie. had it had a different title, but same plot and such it would have worked better. i enjoyed it. but come on... Dennis Hopper as Koopa, and not in a suit or something that looks like Koopa? And Big Bertha's an overweight African-Mushroomland character and not a fish?

But I will say I detest talking dog movies on a whole. I LOVE cartoon dogs, Snoopy, Odie, Scooby Doo, Ace Hart, Mr. Peabody... etc. but something about a live action talking dog is just... it doesn't work for me. Mainly on the level of the dog having to make millions of puns about how he's a dog.

I was seriously considering giving this movie a chance. but the more previews I saw the worse the film got. Everything except the fact that when he changes in a phone booth, and the booth exploding they got wrong.

I mean, the #1 screw up is that Underdog (as well as Polly, Riff Raff and Tap Tap) is an anthropomorphic dog humanoid that (without question) walks amongst humans. He can support himself, and he doesn't need doggy things. And as such, too many things would have to be missing. The ring with the secret compartment he fills with the Underdog energy vitamin pill. It just doesn't work on so many levels.

Somehow I feel if they put Battyman in the film, it would be a woman in a bunny suit or something.

Telly

Reaction score
I haven't seen the Super Mario Brothers Movie. I like the Resident Evil movie. I think I liked the fact that you didn't need to be a fan of the video games to get the movie. If you were a fan of the game, you could totally dismiss it if you didn't like it.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
i will say again what I thought of the Bullwinkle movie.

How should I put this. You make soup or something, follow the recipie to the letter and make it completely perfect... then you throw in one little teeny ingredient to taste, and it completely ruins the whole thing? That's the Bullwinkle movie. They got everything right (The characters appeared as CGI cartoons, not live animals or CGIs that look like animal cartoon hybrids, they got June Foray to reprise her roles, and Keith Scott, Ward historian, writer of afformentioned book, played the male voices perfectly) but that girl spy upset the whole thing.
I liked The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle, too. R&B looked great, and I enjoyed Robert De Niro as Fearless Leader (a lot of critics knocked him for appearing in this film, but IMO it's better than Meet the Parents, or most of the other comedies he's been in lately).

And I agree. Karen Sympathy (was that the spy's name?) should have been left out.

JEANYLASER

Reaction score
Telly! I want to see this movie. I love Underdog! Please! don't get me mad! I want to see this movie. Please! I won't you to get mad about me I want to see this! OK!

Drtooth

Reaction score
In a perfect world, Karen Sympathy would've been replaced by Capn' Peachfuzz or something like that. i really did love the movie. And the RBTV somehow seemed like a sign of things to come (American Idol/ Singing bee... hint hint).

I haven't seen the Super Mario Brothers Movie. I like the Resident Evil movie. I think I liked the fact that you didn't need to be a fan of the video games to get the movie. If you were a fan of the game, you could totally dismiss it if you didn't like it.
As far as Mario goes, it's better if you AREN'T a fan of the video game or the cartoon or comics or anything like that. It REALLY does. No kidding. But I still enjoyed it when I was a kid. Mario really was my life around age 8-12.

Telly

Reaction score
LoL JeanyLaser I wouldnt' get mad at you for going to see a movie you wanna see. I'd probably go see Underdog if any of my friends would go with me. Heck...I like Garfield. I didn't see Tail of Two Kitties though. I wanna see Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Like I said....I'm not a fan of Underdog as a cartoon and as a stand alone movie, I don't think Underdog looks half bad.

Then I think to myself...what if they did this with Hong Kong Phooey? :eek:

JEANYLASER

Reaction score
What LOL stands for Telly? I wanted to see Underdog because i am a big Underdog fan. I understand you very well! Telly I want to be a friend.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You don't know? They actually WERE going to do this with Hong Kong Phooey, but no one really seemed interrested in the script. but then again, they announced a Wacky Races film that was never made, and they keep bringing up a Jetsons movie, and nothing has come out of it for over 10 years.

Telly

Reaction score
LOL = Laughing Out Loud

They shouldn't do this to Hong Kong Phooey! I'd love to see a cartoon looking CGI shark walking around doing impressions of Curly from Three Stooges! Nyuck Nyuck! Or a talking buggy! Vroom-a-zoom-zoom!