Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie

DramaQueen86

Reaction score
Realy!

Originally posted by ResidentLilly
I don't know what I love more...the actual movie, or the fact that so many people are TALKING about it here and in the real world.
I know!! It's almost like our own little movie!!:big_grin:

I think it's funny that people are getting so worked up over who played God!

C'irdan

Reaction score
Originally posted by sidcrowe
C'irdan------Rizzo

C'irdan: I'm not going to defend myself typing away at this board explaining how I'm NOT a bigoted misogynist; I'm too busy with other stuff right now.

I produce my own 8-page magazine every month and I take my writing seriously. To some, they just type whatever is on their minds as opposed to speaking it with their mouth. Me--I think about every word I choose. I write every day, and I'm working on stuff for my own puppet characters that I'm trying to get on the internet. Thus, I always imagine precisely what I would do if I were at the meetings with the writers of these Muppet projects.

I would shy away from any specific depiction of God. Oh, why? Because I'm like Jim Henson in that way. Remember the episode of the Muppet Show that had Harry Belafonté as a guest? The one with the singing African masks? Henson went to the extra trouble to make certain that the masks didn't accidentally look like any masks used in any group's religion, so as not to offend anyone.

I would have had talking stars representing the angels, and a deep voice representing God.

If I were writing an American Christmas television special, I would not have anyone playing God, white or otherwise, but if I were forced to, I wouldn't choose a woman. A WOMAN. It's always "Him" and "His" word, and "He" did this or that.

They chose a black woman to shake things up a little more, and I say that because personally, I found the character of God to be capricious. I mean, she gave more of a dammm about watching Spongebob than she did about Kermit's misery! THAT'S DISGUSTING! You have to be an intellectual to be able to read things like that.

The character was flying on Whoopi's celebrity reputation as a smartasss: it was a sloppy way to write for "God."

Further, I am well aware of the long tradition of religious tyranny meted out by white Europeans. I never said I agreed with it-I don't. I was trying (in vain, it seems) to criticize the writing within the context of our Western religious culture.

Look, the bottom line here is that you're 14 years old, and you don't understand what I'm trying to say, and you don't know what you're talking about.

If you want to continue to insult me, go ahead---out of respect for the moderator of this forum, I'm not arguing about this with you any further. This is my last word and I mean it.

Go on, have fun having the last word...it's all yours :rolleyes:

Rizzo: "Who says God is a man OR a woman? God is God. Case closed."

I NEVER SAID that God was a man. I said that he was DEPICTED as a man, and not to blame me for over 2000 years of those depictions. I didn't say that I didn't respect other interpretations of a supreme being, but the special was about CHRISTmas, and in the Christian Bible, God is referred to as "HIM."

NOW........the case is really closed.
Ok, first of all, you have no right to patronize me. I may be fourteen but I don't talk down to people. Being younger than you does not make me ignorant, lesser, or sinful in any form whatsoever.

I think all of you guys are taking this WAY too seriously. I respect all religions. I do not respect dogmatism, sarcasm, or general rudeness which is what your message is clearly full of. I think we should all agree to disagree on the depiction of god. THe point is, Whoopie was not "disgusting" and I am not going to give you the pleasure of calling you an "intellectual" for thinking that. She played GOD, she knew that Kermit would turn out fine, she knew what was going to happen because she is all-knowing. The spongebob joke just meant that she had a sense of humor and nothing more. This was all very light hearted and if you consider that offensive, I'd hate to hear what you think of feature films. would you rather have God be depicted as an old white man with a beard that is kind and gentle and lived on a puffy white cloud with feathered angels all around him? While this may be the idea of some, it is very unoriginal, you have to admit. This was a creative effort and it was meant to be so different that it kind of didn't fit anyone's vision. I don't appreciate this conversation being considered a competition in any way. I'm not giving a "last word" as you said, I just want to voice my opinion, and try to help some others to see my point. If you think that the "troops are rallying around you" then I think you are seeing the completely wrong side of the issue. It is not about who's opinion is right or wrong! It is about seeing the good in eachother and finding peace in that. I see that you mean well and I feel bad for calling you sexist and racist. I take that back. However, I think it would do you good to be a bit more open about religion and beliefs of others in general. Why does the physical appearance of God matter in any way? Whoopie may have been sarcastic and sometimes a bit cheeky, but it was all for a good natured laugh and she really was doing the right thing the entire time. "People just really need to know what's important in life"-I find that a very useful quote and I find it more and more true every day. I hope that you understand my points because I think that I understand your position. You were offended by this depiction of something so known to you, but it was very different than what you would have liked.:smile:

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
I already posted a message very similar to this, hoping to put an end to the God debate in this thread.

God, everybody, READ MY MESSAGES!:smile:

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Originally posted by FellowWLover

About the pacing... Emileigh has never seen Shrek. but I can tell you that, exciting or not, Emileigh doesn't go for "mean" in her movies. And that is how she saw this one, as "mean". To her, it had a hard edge that she didn't enjoy watching. ...

Thing is, I don't know why everyone is so shocked that I say this. Many of you wished for edgey Muppets, a lot have said they don't want "kiddie fare", and still more are looking for contemporary, adult entertainment from the Henson franchise. You got it! So why the surprise that I am saying it is no longer appropriate for children?

Seems to me some people here have been trying to convince parents like me that we are "blowing it out of proportion" and that this movie was "tame" compared to much of what else is out there. Again, I say it depends on your perspective. It may be tame compared to what is popular these days, but as you said, "whether something is right or wrong has nothing to do with whether or not it’s fashionable or financially profitable".

Whoa, whoa, whoa! When did I ever say you were "blowing it out of porportion," or that this was "tame"? I said I was proud of Emiliegh for being able to identify what was wrong. My point was not that I wanted sleazy stuff. My beef was that people were saying that the Muppets have never done anything that resembles this before, and that's simply illogical, not based in fact. I don't think the brief moments we saw Friday night will bring the enterprise crashing to its knees. That doesn't mean I liked everything I saw. So please don't sample my quote about "right and wrong" at the end and make it seem as if I said it all.

I never said I was shocked that you said this. Good for you for standing up for your honest feelings about the movie. And good for you for not letting your daughter see Shrek, either.

punkNpuppets: The now-infamous "s**ks" comes at the very end of the movie, where Pepe comes into the theater with the documentation declaring the Muppet Theater a historical landmark. The first thing he says is (slightly paraphrased), "I've got some great news, okay? Well, great if you're a Muppet, but if you're a sexy banker lady, it s**ks!"
Funny that you boast about saying the whole phrase, but then can't understand why people say it's vulgar.

Trekkie: That's a severe oversimplication about the Bible and about what Christians believe. However, I liked what you said at the end of your post: "the world isn't going to end." That's about the smartest thing I've heard so far in this thread.

I think I'm going to go get some sleep.

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
well, that's Pepe! he's that kind of fella!

he was hilarious in the movie when the lady called him "Pee pee" and he says in a deep voice "Peh-pay!"

and what "BOOB" jokes?????

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Originally posted by FellowWLover
Many of you have referred to "sexy" comments from past Muppet endeavors. True, they may be found. But the difference (as in that Janice quote) is that in the past those moments were hidden here and there for the savvy viewer, they were random lines, not integral parts of the plot.
Hey! Well, maybe in your viewpoint they weren't...

:stick_out_tongue:

When ya have 2 Muppet soulmates, EVERYthing they do is integral to the plot!

:big_grin:

:wink:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think Jessica was referring to my post. I do think many people have blown the film way out of proportion and are only concentrating on portions that take up less than 60 seconds in the entire 90 minute movie. And taking those portions out of context and out of proportion as well.

We all have opinions though and it's interesting to hear everybody's take. It just seems that some members are very tender when it comes to any conflict greater than that of a Charlie Brown special. Not that those aren't great, but the Muppets have never been anywhere close to that tame.

I don't think the Muppets have become too prickly for kids. I think this was an even balance. People Magazine was right that it should have been a bit merrier. Some characters popping up and singing here and there for a few seconds would have made this an A+ project rather than the solid B I gave it.

I am very pleased the Muppets have transcended the 80s and broken out of the kiddy all phase of the 90s. These were much closer to the Muppets I know and love. Current, zany and just enough heart without being mushy. The more I watch it, the more I love it!

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
<<That's a severe oversimplication about the Bible and about what Christians believe>>

Well, it's true:wink: each person has their own belief.

I mean, if you're not open-minded, you're just as vulnerable as Osama Bin Laden. The bible is interprated in different ways by different people. Period.

Not believing in something is something. But not accepting the "possibility" of it being true is, to be honest, what really ****** me off.