Video: "1D Day" with One Direction, The Muppets and more Saturday November 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
We really need a face palm emoticom. We really do.
They're not going to get their own show. And if they do, it'll be on the Disney Channel, and feature F listers. Sorry. Truth.

hate One Direction but, and I'm going to beat this dead horse till candy comes out, you have NO idea how much I hate Rob Schneider.
No, Rob Schneider is better than the Studio DC Cast. Schneider at least tries to give back to the world, (without being forced to do so by corporate interests.) The Rob Schneider Music Foundation, for example, or his environmentalism practices. He was also good in Adventures of Pinocchio.

The fact remains that he had to fight his way up. The Studio DC cast is picked on looks. Sure, one could argue Rob Schneider is a man of meager talents. I won't dispute that. But I'd rather it was him than those bubblegum losers.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This video pretty much sums up what I think of Rob Schneider...

So yes, he's worse than Pop Stars no matter what charity side gig he has.

But I digress... pop stars are one thing, but the true thing that invalidates this argument? Kermit and Piggy were on The Bachelor. A completely A-moral reality TV show about deceit, lying, cheating, conniving, and backstabbing to get into a completely superficial relationship that doesn't even last, and is all for show for fat secretaries and drunken housewives. The Bachelor is the worst thing the Muppets were ever associated with. Even worse than Schneider. So yeah a bland, inoffensive pop group may be beneath the Muppets, but you know what really is? Reality TV. The rock bottom of the entertainment ladder, right under infomercial for real estate scams.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
Fair enough. I don't know why people watch that garbage. And having puppets on the show interacting with guests as if they're real makes me question how anyone with a functioning brain could think the show is "reality."

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think the big misfire was the WWE appearance. The Wrestling fans didn't want anything to do with the Muppets, and the Muppet fans wanted nothing to do with the wrestlers. But the actual wrestlers looked like they had a fun time with the Muppets, at least. Too bad the Venn diagram of WWE and Muppet fans was too thin an overlap.

But all these appearances are, if nothing else, just a promotional stop until the movie comes out. I suggest looking forward to that vs. a bunch of little appearances that weren't really meant for die hard Muppet fans that knew about the movie years in advance.

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
While I respect everybody's right to their opinions, I'm shaking my head over all the hatred and vitriol on this thread, all because The Muppets have dared to appear with people who some of us don't admire, respect or enjoy in other mediums.

Yes, it's hard to accept that occasionally our beloved gang might show up next to allegedly-marginal talents, but that's the risk that a franchise like this will occasionally run when it's attempting to stay in the public eye, especially over the 58 (58!) years The Muppets have been in existence.

I personally wouldn't walk across the street to see One Direction if you paid me, but I'm delighted that Kermit and Piggy wound up in even a brief portion of what I suspect was a high-viewership broadcast. (And why has nobody mentioned that at least one of the band members seemed thrilled that The Muppets were in on it?)

We can gripe about 1D, Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus or the other Studio DC guests but I'm sure eyebrows were raised about similar flavour-of-the-month TMS performers (Leo Sayer, Lola Folana, Shields and Yarnell) or hitmakers that took the Muppets out of their supposed comfort zone (Alice Cooper, Debby Harry, The Artist Formerly and Currently Known as Prince, etc.)

I have no issue whatsoever with Rob Schneider being in MFS. He's made some questionable career choices but he didn't ruin the movie, not by a long shot. In fact, at the risk of being too optimistic, my list of co-stars that have genuinely dragged down a Muppet production is quite short (and it usually begins and ends with Andy Kaufman/Tony Clifton on The Fantastic Miss Piggy Show in 1982).

As for the characters appearing in "questionable" material (The Bachelorette) or with "questionable" stars, chew on this: The youngest TMS guest star was 15-year-old Brooke Shields, who shot her "Alice In Wonderland" episode the same year as a salacious little movie called The Blue Lagoon landed in theatres.

Apparently Jim Henson was able to see beyond a star's on-screen personas and off-screen personalities to pick the right people to work with The Muppets. You're free to disagree, but I think this legacy has lasted to the current Disney regime and will help prolong the franchise's shelf life for years to come.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have no issue whatsoever with Rob Schneider being in MFS. He's made some questionable career choices but he didn't ruin the movie, not by a long shot. In fact, at the risk of being too optimistic, my list of co-stars that have genuinely dragged down a Muppet production is quite short (and it usually begins and ends with Andy Kaufman/Tony Clifton on The Fantastic Miss Piggy Show in 1982).
I'll admit, he didn't ruin the movie by being in it (the movie was pretty much ruined by the director enough), but the point I'm making is this. MFS had a lot of D and F-list cameos. That is kind of embarrassing. Given the overall ennui by Henson and Sony, it really doesn't sound so surprising. I hate to say it, but MWOZ had better cameo star power (had freaking Tarantino in it).

I agree completely. Flavor of the month or not, it's nice to see The Muppets working with A-listers, no matter how fleeting their stay on that A-list is.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We're closing this thread since it's taken a negative turn. There's a lot more important things to discuss today with the Macy's Parade and Muppets special tonight on ABC.

Status
Not open for further replies.