1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Video: Sesame Street cast panel at the Sillicon Valley Comic Con

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Pig's Laundry, Apr 26, 2017.

1. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Honestly though I don't get why people keep assuming that Lefty was removed because of complaints from parents and whatnot. There's literally been nothing to back that up.

I think he just vanished if anything.

2. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Ssshh, that's what they want you to think. Really, he was taken out by the mob.

3. LittleJerry92

[​IMG]

4. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I think "Meet the Cast of Sesame" and a photo of the Muppet implies the actual Muppets will be there (when at the most, Caroll will have Oscar), not the humans.

Because there's a lot of fans with little to no grasp of reality. "X character was banned" or "X segment is kept in the archives forever" is all a bunch of hooey, but it's the only logical conclusion they can get to.

5. LittleJerry92

So I've noticed.

6. Pig's Laundry

Yeah, as far as I can tell Roosevelt Franklin is the only character that left due to some controversy.

7. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

It wasn't so much a controversy as it was the producers becoming concerned that he was portraying a negative stereotype of a rowdy class clown (because he was explicitly black), which . . . well, I don't know. Looking at the old Roosevelt Franklin Elementary School inserts, I really didn't pick up on that at all . . . the inserts were, indeed, educational, and if anything, he was really the sanest one of his classmates that I recall.

8. Pig's Laundry

Yeah, he was basically a child prodigy teacher (or at least a really good tutor). Seems like a really good role model to me.

9. D'Snowth

Oh yeah. If anything else, his classmates were the rowdy ones, flying paper airplanes and tossing crumbled balls everywhere. Heck, when Hard Head Henry Harris and Smart Tina were beginning a fight, Roosevelt just excused himself out of the room.

MikaelaMuppet and muppetgem like this.
  10. Pig's Laundry

UGH, his classmates were so annoying!

11. D'Snowth

One thing I find interesting is in the theme song, you can clearly hear the voices of the Muppet Performers singing (definitely hear Frank in their), but the actual characters themselves in the inserts had their voices dubbed by the human castmembers.

Then again, I think Sonia participated in one of Jim's workshops when they needed more female performers, but she couldn't get the hang of it. As Frank always said, it's not as easy as it looks.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  12. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

....Sonia Manzano did one of Jim's puppetry workshops??? Y'know, it would be kind of interesting (and perhaps a bit jarring) to think about if Sonia became a Muppeteer instead of playing Maria. Can you imagine discovering a photo of Sonia performing an Anything Muppet in the early 1970s? But I digress...

I hope that the cast members continue doing more panels. Most of them are past the age of retirement (save for Alison Bartlett), but they still want to be involved with SS in any way possible. This is a good way for them to keep contributing to the SS legacy ...especially since the human cast consists of just Alan (the father figure), Chris (big brother type), and Nina (big sister type).

13. LittleJerry92

That was something interesting I noticed myself. I always wondered why Henry's "bahhh...." Sounded different.

14. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

What about Luis?

15. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

I don't think they needed any more men to work as puppeteers on Sesame Street. They already had Jim, Frank, Richard, Jerry, and Caroll before they added Brian, Kevin, Marty, etc. One of Jim's goals was to make his puppeteer staff as diverse as possible. By 1972 he scouted out Fran Brill and Marilyn Sokol to be his primary female performers, but Marilyn eventually gravitated towards voiceover work (e.g. "I Want a Monster to Be My Friend," "Me/Yo," and "City/Country Song").

Maybe Emilio and the other cast members took a Henson puppetry workshop for kicks 'n' giggles, but that is still a mystery as far as I know. But I'm telling you, it would be GREAT to see footage or photos of Emilio and the others trying to operate a rod Muppet or a Live-Hand.

16. MikaelaMuppet

I meant past the age of retirement.

17. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

Emilio/Luis is in his mid-to upper-70s, Bob is over 80, and Roscoe is in his early 70s. Alison has about twenty years to go before she can retire, unless she decides to do so earlier.

18. MikaelaMuppet

Roscoe and Emilio are that old now? And Bob too?

19. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

Yes! Emilio and Roscoe were both about 30 years old when they joined SS in 1971 and 1974 respectively. So if they're 3 years apart, that means Emilio is now 76 and Roscoe is 73. Bob is the oldest at 84 or 85. All of them aged really well in my opinion. And let's not forget Sonia Manzano, who is still a knockout at 67.

Maybe that's the secret to looking young past 65: working on an educational kids' show with birds, monsters, Honkers, and Snuffleupaguses!

oknazevad and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  20. D'Snowth

I don't think it was "instead of," I think she participated in a workshop while already as being Maria. Kind of like how she also eventually became a writer on the show in addition to being Maria.

gavry3 likes this.