1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Video: "The Muppets" Official ABC Pitch Reel

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by rowlfy662, Jul 21, 2015.

1. WalterLinz

WalterLinz Well-Known Member

Haha most definitely.;)

JimAndFrank likes this.
  2. Iscah

Iscah Active Member

Yep, I'd say he's in his thirties at least. The Muppet Show has the vibe that the characters have been doing this (mediocrely) for years and years. Also Fozzie's mother seems quite old.

charlietheowl likes this.
  3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I agree to that. The difference with the Muppets here is that this is their first actual sitcom show, and sitcoms are very much the product of their time and will tend to be more topical. It's painful in animated sitcoms because it takes over a year to get an episode out there. Some Simpsons episodes come back incredibly dated before they even air. Sitcoms are much different than movies and specials, something the Muppets only had in recent years. As a sitcom they can make all these references and one off jokes and it still works a lot better than, say, The Crock Hunter parody (or general Scary Movie 3 before everyone hated them tone of the special) in VMX.

But I think a fairer comparison is with Sesame Street. The show has always been pop culture heavy and to me there's no difference between singing "Good Morning, Starshine," Grover parodying John Travolta to teach the alphabet, Miami Mice, or having One Direction with that one guy who left before the sketch even aired singing a self parody. SS has always tried hitting parody and celebrity as soon as they're relevant. Even recently, they parodied things that they actually missed the first time via sequels and movie remakes (Indian Jones, The A* Team, even Transformers). And often times the parodies are narrow or shallow. This is natural as it's a TV show with a decades long run.

Looking at The original Muppet Show, it's not like they were strangers to reference and parody. It was just a lot more subtle back then. They parodied Star Wars when it first came out, and then it became a cultural phenom and they had the actual droids, Wookie, and Mark Hamil. Some of it was dated, but held over okay despite some of the guest stars barely being relevant when they were on the air. Fast Forward to MT and you have a far more pop culture savvy show, and that was a mixed bag. You either got a clever parody like Seinfeld Babies or Co-Dependants Day (which both managed to hold up surprisingly) or...something with the pigs. Lets just leave it at that. From the looks of this new series, seems that it's toned down a bit and polished compared to MT. Definitely less in your face than the 2 made for TV movies. I don't mind the references to Uber and stuff as long as the humor can hold its own. And it looks like that's the case so far.

charlietheowl likes this.
  4. Ladywarrior

Ladywarrior Well-Known Member

yeah because you know they don't have a home or friends or go shopping or take care of themselves or anything like that. /sarcasm

5. BlakeConor14

BlakeConor14 Well-Known Member

I would like to see constintine in the show

Pig's Laundry and WalterLinz like this.
  6. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

Anyone noticed that when Chip asks if he was in MTI, he's eating chips?

Phillip likes this.
  7. Ladywarrior

^ what WAS he in by the way?

8. JimAndFrank

JimAndFrank Well-Known Member

Muppets From Space, I believe. Maybe the Jim Henson Hour, I'm not too sure...

9. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

Chip made his debut in The Jim Henson Hour series.

He also made appearances in the following....

- Muppets Tonight

- Muppets from Space

- It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie

- The Muppets' Wizard of Oz

10. Ladywarrior

oh i see he was in the muppet films I didn't like.

11. AlittleMayhem

AlittleMayhem Well-Known Member

One of the details I absolutely love in the presentation is the branded coffee cups are ‘Bunsen and Beaker’.

Now all I can imagine is Bunsen and Beaker making coffee everyday for everyone with their new machine and Beaker memorised what everyone likes and runs about the studio handing them out so what I’m saying is I need a short fic of this!

WalterLinz likes this.
  12. antsamthompson9

Here's the wonderful Rachael Herrick's thoughts on the pilot:

Phillip likes this.
  13. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Regarding Denise, I wish we could have had something at the beginning to establish them as a couple, as opposed to it being pointed out to Kermit later. Kermit casually greets Denise, I wish they would have instead came in to the meeting room together, or exchanged a kiss, or that Denise would have been right beside Kermit when he made his announcement. Or that she would have made some kind of suggestion for the show, or mentioned that she spent her money on some kind of nonsense.

In fact, for the show, it would be good if she kept giving Kermit ideas for the show, maybe bad ideas that Kermit reluctantly says yes to.

muppetlover123 likes this.
  14. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Active Member

so the Show will debut Tuesday September 22nd at 8:00PM eastern time on ABC?

I totally agree with the Rachael Herrick video! something I would ad to what she said with the letdown at the box office for MMW, which was a shame because it was a great wonderful movie!, could a new Muppet Show make the Muppets more popular and a possible future theatrical release might get better box office numbers?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  15. Dodo

Dodo Member

My only concern is that this show is going to focus on personal lives, and personal lives have very small percentages of magic and musical numbers, don't they? I can't imagine muppets without magic and musical numbers.

16. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

17. antsamthompson9

Just wanna tell everyone, the pilot was taken down. So if anyone has it please post it. Also it's on Comcast on Demand so you can watch it there.

18. Muppy

Muppy Well-Known Member

As much as I wish they kept it uploaded, it kind of makes sense that they would take it down since the first episode of The Muppets was basically "the Pitch: The Extended Edition".

19. antsamthompson9

Not really. The plot is quite different from Pig Girls Don't Cry.

20. Muppy

Muppy Well-Known Member

Well the whole Fozzie subplot is basically taken straight from the pilot (but it's extended). The rest (minus some jokes like the 1 on 1 interview line by Gonzo) is pretty much new material.