Vote!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out what McCain and Palin mean by saying Maverick. What does that imply?
I've never heard McCain refer to him or her as Mavericks, just Mrs. Airhead herself saying that... just like everyone predicted she'd do at the Vice Presidential debate.

But anyone, a maverick has many definitions, but in this sense, I believe Palin is using it to say she and McCain are taking their own independant stands apart from the rest of the Republican party.

BTW, here's my Sarah Palin impression...

*Wink* Betcha
*Wink* Betcha
*Wink* Betcha
*Wink* Betcha-betcha-betcha
*Wink* Betcha*
*Wink* I'm not a soccer mom, I'm a HOCKEY mom.
*Wink* Betcha
*Wink* My kids have kids
*Wink* Betcha
*Wink* I don't want to answer your question, I want to talk about energy
*Wink-wink-wink* Betcha-betcha-betcha!
*Wink* John McCain and I are mavericks
*Wink* Betcha
*Wink* Obama is full of crap
*Wink* Betcha
*Wink* Betcha
*Wink* God told us to go to war with Iraq.
*Wink* Betcha-betcha-betcha-betcha-betcha-betcha-betcha!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out what McCain and Palin mean by saying Maverick. What does that imply?
...Y'know... I don't know. Let's look it up!

maverick: n. A lone dissenter, as an intellectual, an artist, or a politician, who takes an independent stand apart from his or her associates. There are other definitions, too, but somehow I don't think McCain is trying to market himself as "an unbranded calf, cow, or steer, esp. an unbranded calf that is separated from its mother," or "an electro-optically guided U.S. air-to-ground tactical missile for destroying tanks and other hardened targets at ranges up to 15 mi." ...On second thought, for as much as he talks about his war record, he might be going for that one. :stick_out_tongue:

So my guess would be that he's trying to appeal to Democrats and Independents by saying, "Yeah, I'm a Republican, but I disagree with my party so much that it doesn't really count."

Just a semi-biased stab in the dark.

EDIT: <cracks up at Snowth's Palin impression>

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
McCain's been using it since he got nominated for the republican candidate for the president.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
...Y'know... I don't know. Let's look it up!

maverick: n. A lone dissenter, as an intellectual, an artist, or a politician, who takes an independent stand apart from his or her associates. There are other definitions, too, but somehow I don't think McCain is trying to market himself as "an unbranded calf, cow, or steer, esp. an unbranded calf that is separated from its mother," or "an electro-optically guided U.S. air-to-ground tactical missile for destroying tanks and other hardened targets at ranges up to 15 mi." ...On second thought, for as much as he talks about his war record, he might be going for that one. :stick_out_tongue:

So my guess would be that he's trying to appeal to Democrats and Independents by saying, "Yeah, I'm a Republican, but I disagree with my party so much that it doesn't really count."

Just a semi-biased stab in the dark.

EDIT: <cracks up at Snowth's Palin impression>
Oh okay. For a moment I thought McCain was either a player for the NBA Dallas Mavericks, or an actor on the old cowboy show Maverick.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
The other day, I overheard a pretty heated political conversation. One citizen claimed that with Barack Obama as our 44th president, we'll just have another 9/11.

And, you know... I think that's what we really need.
Dont say such things- dont ever say such things, you can only say such thing (Im guessing) because you had NO ONE who was directly effected by 9/11- and next time, you might. DONT EVER WISH THAT UPON ANYONE.

With that being said, we DID have a 9/11- yeah it brought us together, and look now, as you said, It didnt last long. So if we "need another 9/11" (please God no) how long before we need ANOHTER one by your logic? if it didnt last long, like the last time- every 6 years? there has got to be a better way. No I dont know what that is, but its NOT another 9/11.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The other day, I overheard a pretty heated political conversation. One citizen claimed that with Barack Obama as our 44th president, we'll just have another 9/11.
Let me guess... that citizen who claimed that was Republican?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
To be quite frank, the McCain campaign has been playing so foul and Dirty lately, even Dick Dastardly would blush. "Oh, he served on a board with someone who was a terrorist while Obama was watching Sesame Street. He didn't really know him well, but... yeah!" and "Hey! The more we can make people think of that 'Crazy' Reverend of his, the less people will remember McCain's strongest religious supporter was a Nazi sympathizer who really said despicable things."

Obama's stuff has been different. He basically says that McCain is like Bush, and attacks McCain's record. Seems that the right is running scared and pulling all sorts of crazy crap. It reminds me of the Massachusetts governor's race of 06..... the right side, so desperate to keep into power brought up the instance of a convicted rapist that conned a lot of people into believing he was innocent. And the Republican candidate's commercials pretty much said "If you elect the Democrat, rapists will run all over the streets."

And guess what? People said that went way too far. And it cost them the election.

Mudslinging, no matter who or what, is tight with politics. If you can't find a reason for people to vote for you, find a reason not to vote for the other guy. BUT, watch out for what you say. If you go too negative, you'll alienate people.
It used to be that negative campaigning was the only route to victory. Both Bush and Clinton campaign chiefs relied on that - it now has become a thing of the past as far as candidates are concerned. Propositions are an entirely different matter.

The Prop 8 advertisements here in the city that basically tell California's parents if they allow the law to stand as it with legalized same sex marriage that the gay community would be out to get their children in a variety of bogus and downright mean ways. It's terrible, but those tactics work. By the way, have to say this - No on Prop 8!

Getting back to McCain, Karl Rove actually claimed that they were crossing a line that he wouldn't. I see that differently and as bad blood between the two political figures. I do agree with your statements about the negativity being greater and muddier on the McCain side, but it is so less than usual from what I've seen in my 34 years. Oh, and his people did play the parent card too. Some ads said that Obama wanted mandatory sex education for kindergarteners when in reality he wanted to target preventative measures for children at risk of several types of abuse in a discreet way. I can still see how some would object, but the facts were never clearly stated by the conservative campaign.

Bill Clinton used to be known as the "Teflon Politician" because mud had a hard time sticking to him. I see Obama as the "Godzilla Politician" in that whatever shots are fired his way strengthens his campaign and put the perpetrators of the shots at risk.

By the way, love the Palin impression, D'Snowth. It's like Tina Fey is right here on the forum with us. You betcha! :wink: