Wait a Minute... "DreamWorks' Dragons"? What?

mr3urious

Reaction score
Anyone else see Trollhunters? I'm only 6 episodes in right now, but I must admit, I thought it would be lame seeing the same high school kid with the same high school troubles we've all seen before (girls, bullies, slipping grades, etc.). But once the trolls come on screen and the Anton Yelchin-voiced lead actually becomes a Trollhunter, it starts to get really good. I really like how more "mature" it feels compared to the other DW series, never really shying away from death and even using "crap" on at least one occasion, a swear word we've never heard in a kids' cartoon since Hey Arnold. Also gotta love the two lead trolls, Blinky and Aaarrrgghh, the former voiced by Kelsey Grammer. And Ron Perlman as the main enemy troll.

I feel like Trollhunters being a Netflix series is a blessing in disguise. You can really build a world and characters in a way a 26-episode animated series can allow compared to one 90-minute movie. There's also the large amount of creative freedom Netflix provides combined with Guillermo del Toro's clout.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I don't recall a single episode that used that word. "Sucks" was used quite a bit and "p!ssed" as well, but not "crap".
Actually, they have used it a few times here and there, especially in the earlier seasons:

Anyway, sorry, I don't mean to take away from your point. "Trollhunters" is a surprisingly enjoyable show. I don't exactly love it, but there's still a lot of potential there. I really like how the supporting characters like Claire starts out as the generic girl, love interest type, but eventually grows. The same goes for the nerd kid (I forget his name) who starts out as the stereotypical nerdy/fat comic relief, but he also gradually becomes more interesting as time goes on. It's still really sad that this was one of Alan Yelchin last roles, but he does a good job playing the main character. A lot of the time when adults try to sound younger it ends up being annoying, but Alan did a good job capturing just the right amount of youngness and awkwardness for that character. I wonder who'll replace him next season. I'm a little more than halfway through the series, but I already can't wait for season 2. And it's great that I have something to watch while i'm waiting for "Doctor Who" and "Stranger Things" to start up again.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Now DW has a show that's a sequel to the 2002 cult hit Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, but unrelated enough to be enjoyed on its own. This one is done in cel-shaded CGI and stars a human girl who befriends the apparent descendant of the original Spirit from the movie. Neither Spirit nor the other horses mercifully don't talk like in the movie, but unlike it, he doesn't have Matt Damon or anyone else providing an inner monologue. All in all, it looks to be a much better cartoon about horse-riding girls than the long-forgotten Horseland, and that's saying a lot.
https://www.netflix.com/title/80115432

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Now DW has a show that's a sequel to the 2002 cult hit Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, but unrelated enough to be enjoyed on its own. This one is done in cel-shaded CGI and stars a human girl who befriends the apparent descendant of the original Spirit from the movie. Neither Spirit nor the other horses mercifully don't talk like in the movie, but unlike it, he doesn't have Matt Damon or anyone else providing an inner monologue. All in all, it looks to be a much better cartoon about horse-riding girls than the long-forgotten Horseland, and that's saying a lot.
Oh wow! I remember Horseland very well when I was younger. Think it's on Netflix right now and talk about a real blast from the past for me.