Wallace and Gromit

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I saw the Wallace and Gromit movie last summer, I adored it!

I was nervous about seeing it at first; I tend to have this FEAR of claymation (I seriously have trouble watching Gumby! ::shiver:: )

But very quickly I fell in the love with the W&G characters, they were just so cute and endearing...and very English! Lol

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I tend to have this FEAR of claymation
Heh heh heh!

Sorry, didn't mean to laugh...is there an actual name for fear of claymation?

Clayophobia?

Play-Dough-itis?

Do you suffer from nightmares where the Pillsbury Dough Boy is leading a vast claymation army, including Davy & Goliath, the Noid from Dominos, and legions of the California Raisins?

I'm kidding, of course.:smile: :smile:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
It sounds like a cool idea anyway.

But I really liked chicken run so I want to see this movie.

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
I've been a fan of Wallace and Gromit for a while, too - I just love the dry wit and the sight gags (in Wallace's basement, there is a red sled marked 'Rosebud,' for example), and it's all endearing at the same time.

I was really happy that "Curse of the Were-Rabbit" brought home the Academy Award for best animated feature in '06. They earned it.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Heh heh heh!

Sorry, didn't mean to laugh...is there an actual name for fear of claymation?

Clayophobia?

Play-Dough-itis?

Do you suffer from nightmares where the Pillsbury Dough Boy is leading a vast claymation army, including Davy & Goliath, the Noid from Dominos, and legions of the California Raisins?

I'm kidding, of course.:smile: :smile:
No it's ok...I've heard it all before, lol.

Actually good point, I guess there are a few exceptions I'd never thought of before. I've never been afraid of the Pillsbury Doughboy or the Noid (wow that's retro!) or the California Raisins (love them!). I think it's mainly the old sort of primitive claymation that bugs me, or claymation that's made to look sort of rough and abstract like Wallace and Gromit.

Wow, I just typed in "phobia of claymation" into Google and there's a few hits! Guess I'm not alone. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I saw the Wallace and Gromit movie last summer, I adored it!

I was nervous about seeing it at first; I tend to have this FEAR of claymation (I seriously have trouble watching Gumby! ::shiver:: )

But very quickly I fell in the love with the W&G characters, they were just so cute and endearing...and very English! Lol
That's a shame. I don't tend to like any animation over anything else, since I see they are all special in their own way (and I have Mr. Rogers to thank for that!) but I do have a special place in my heart for stopmotion. Firstly, have you ever tried it? Unless you have large heavy equipment, it's not going to be fun to make. Things fall over, tables get bumped and you have to start again. I did it before, and I can safely say that it took several takes to get one or 2 frames of animation before I aborted the project and shot completely flat motion claymation (I.e. the Hey Arnold films).

Secondly, it has a frail beauty that CGI just can't match. CGI is good, and if used correctly, and not for gimmicky purposes (Surf's Up, hint hint) you can really have a piece of art (Ratatoullie, hint hint).

I was glad that that year, the Oscar was a three way match between 2 stop motion films and a traditional 2-D movie from Japan.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah it's just one of those things, like most phobias, hard to explain lol. And again, it doesn't apply to every claymation that ever was. I am fascinated by the process and all. :smile:

I found a clip on the guys from Mystery Science Theater watching a Gumby short. I didn't want to watch at first, but I decided it was best to face my fears! Having the three MST guys there parodying the whole thing definitely helped! I'm not saying I'd watch Gumby ::shiver:: all the time now, but I'm definitely glad I did it.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Wow! The original Gumby cartoon! Shudders! Especially the one where the dinosaur ate him and he came out of it as an egg that hatch him, Yikes!:eek: