Warner Home Video now distributing Sesame Workshop DVDs

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It's a shame that they gave Elmo a third "best of" video when they could have given that treatment to a character who hasn't gotten one yet, like Oscar, The Count, Telly, Zoe, or Abby Cadabby. Or they could have given Ernie and Bert a new one (especially since The Best of Ernie and Bert has never been released on DVD... Could have been an opportunity to make that a bonus video, though it seems Warner doesn't even want to include existing videos that haven't been on DVD as bonus features).

I'm going to think some positive hope for this, the same that I thought (and didn't get) when The Best of Elmo 2 was announced (mainly, I'm going to hope that at least one of the Elmo and Kermit pairings is included). Hopefully this will have more non-celebrity segments (the description listed some of the guests, I'm not too familiar with all the announced segments so I'll have to check and see if, like the previous one, any of the known segments only feature Elmo as a supporting character).

And as I've said a few times regarding other releases, this would be a good opportunity to include Elmo's World: Transportation as a bonus feature. I doubt any Elmo's World or Elmo the Musical will make it to the main program (the second one doesn't have any Elmo's World segments). Maybe if there was a special montage. But the bonus segments have been mentioned, and normally when the bonus features are announced for a single-disc DVD they remain that way (no additional features being announced later or showing up unannounced until the DVD has hit stores or consumers hands).

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
@Oscarfan that's a good point and all, HOWEVER...do you realize that it's been almost 20 years since Big Bird got his spotlight video, and more than 26 years since Bert and Ernie got theirs? I know Elmo's popularity still to this day shines and everything, but I'm bothered by the fact he's getting a third spotlight video, especially considering that it seems to going the same way as the previous one- you know with a heavy focus on his appearances with celebrities and in the background! Big Bird, Ernie, Bert, Cookie Monster and Grover have all only had 1 video, and Oscar still hasn't had a spotlight- these are the original 6 characters! Several other major characters (Snuffy, The Count, and a few others) still haven't had a spotlight either! I just fail to see why there has to be a 3rd Best of Elmo- other than his popularity.

@minor muppetz I've said this once, and I'll say it again: if there's anyone out there that deserves to be hired at Sesame Workshop as the one who plans on what the DVDs will be like, it would be you!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Big Bird, Ernie, Bert, Cookie Monster and Grover have all only had 1 video, and Oscar still hasn't had a spotlight- these are the original 6 characters!
Actually, Cookie Monster has had two - Cookie Monster's Best Bites and C is for Cookie Monster.

And I wonder if Playtime with Grover counts as a spotlight video. If it does, then he's got two. Grover is featured in every segment on that one (and each of the other four Play With Me Sesame hosts have gotten their own "Playtime with..." videos outside of America), though he's more of a supporting character in a number of segments (then again, The Best of Elmo 2 has several segments where Elmo's just a minor supporting character or background character, and the first Best of Elmo has quite a few where he's just a co-star or among a group, though at least those segments are still more deserving of being on a release called "The Best of Elmo").

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Actually, Cookie Monster has had two - Cookie Monster's Best Bites and C is for Cookie Monster.

And I wonder if Playtime with Grover counts as a spotlight video. If it does, then he's got two. Grover is featured in every segment on that one (and each of the other four Play With Me Sesame hosts have gotten their own "Playtime with..." videos outside of America), though he's more of a supporting character in a number of segments (then again, The Best of Elmo 2 has several segments where Elmo's just a minor supporting character or background character, and the first Best of Elmo has quite a few where he's just a co-star or among a group, though at least those segments are still more deserving of being on a release called "The Best of Elmo").
Oh yeah, that's true- I forgot about C is for Cookie Monster despite that I actually do have a copy of it! And you make a good point about the other Play With Me Sesame Videos.

"the first Best of Elmo has quite a few where he's just a co-star or among a group" Well, yeah but at least he still somewhat had a big role ("Three"). The 2nd one however..."Outdoors" was one of their choices?? You've gotta be kidding me!

Oscarfan

Reaction score

To be fair, the original Best of Elmo has nothing from season 25 or after, so it's all stuff when he was more of an ensemble player and didn't have many solo bits. Best of Elmo 2 seems like the Workshop trying to cash in on the newest material (as they are wont to do) like "Outdoors" or "Song About Elmo" (though it did have a few surprises like "Be Doodle De Dum" and "It All Adds Up").

Drtooth

Reaction score
I honestly have to say, I'm not a fan of "Best Ofs" in any DVD release of anything. Especially when it comes to Sesame Street since, well...

Cookie Monster's Best Bites weren't (and why is the C Drives me Crazy skit in there?) and Best of Elmo 2 should have been called "Best of Celebrities that happened to be with Elmo."

Seems like Elmo V3 is just going to be more celebrity segments... why not just release a Best of Celebrities on Sesame Street collection and get it over with? Sesame Street is a powerful brand, and I hate that they have to keep over emphasizing celebrity and parody segments instead of letting the characters speak for themselves. I understand the necessity, even though most other kid's shows manage to get celebrity guest stars. But when it comes to a DVD release, they're picking the celebrity moments over the genuine just Muppet moments for the characters. So, why not a just Celebrity based release if that's the case?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Sesame Street is a powerful brand, and I hate that they have to keep over emphasizing celebrity and parody segments instead of letting the characters speak for themselves.
That's kind of what I've said before, it seems to me that one of SST's "downfalls" in this day and age (as opposed to the Old School era) is the extra emphasis on celebrity guest stars, to the point that not only do they have a mandatory celebrity Word of the Day spot each episode, but half the street scenes involve a celebrity guest star as well. And that's not to say SST hasn't always utilized celebrity guests, because they have, and since the beginning too, as a means of luring parents and adults to watch the show along with the kids as well, but as I say, it almost comes off as if now, the celebrities have jumped up on their priority list considerably.

Similar with ARTHUR, the celebrity guests and/or look-alikes have become a mandatory Once a Season thing. Apparently this upcoming season finale is a Very Special Episode with Idina Menzel... banking on FROZEN, are they?

Drtooth

Reaction score
And that's not to say SST hasn't always utilized celebrity guests, because they have, and since the beginning too, as a means of luring parents and adults to watch the show along with the kids as well, but as I say, it almost comes off as if now, the celebrities have jumped up on their priority list considerably.
And parodies of course. They did release that "Best of" parody collection, I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop for a "Best Of" Celebrity collection.

But it's when the "Best of" Characters turns into nothing more than a Celebrities appearing with said characters collection that it's truly bothersome. Especially since Elmo seems to be the go to character for celebrities that are only there for their kids. Savvy Sesame fan celebs usually go for (or at least get paired with) someone funny. Elmo should be able to hold up his own weight. He's usually the hot Christmas toy, and kids think everything with a big nose is Elmo (even Toy Story Mr. Potatohead from my experience). And yet, Best of Elmo 2 was incredibly celebrity heavy. This one will be too, obviously.