WB trying for Justice League movie again

Drtooth

Reaction score
And spoiler alert... it has a LOT to do with the success of the Avengers.

Now, WB has had spotty luck with their DC comics based movies. Chris Nolan's Batman films (so far) have been their only solid hit, where as Superman Returns failed to grab an audience (their fault for not making Darkseid or Braniac a villain... clearly they were going to save that for a sequel that never materialized), and Green Lantern's bloated budget prevented it from even becoming a mild victory. And They were fooling themselves with Jonah Hex. Only die hard comic geeks that refuse to see those movies know who Jonah Hex is.

Marvel's had a solid series of hits. While the quality has varied wildly, they seem to all have done pretty well, some did outstanding at the Box office.

Hey. Maybe this is why they're actually trying to get that Wonder Woman movie off the ground.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
You're kidding me.... you have got to be joking.
Why are they trying to copy the Avengers? It just sounds like a flop right now. The Avengers was great, if they wanted to do a movie then they should have done it before the Avengers. The only hero from DC I'm interestedin seeing on-screen is Batman.
Why would Superman need these heroes? He can save the world on his own! He's indestructible, so why in the world would he need six other heroes, get Superman out, then I'll think of seeing it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know the Justice League movie has been stuck in developmental purgatory for quite some time... not to mention the fact that Justice League, as a comic and concept, was introduced 3 years earlier than The Avengers as a comic/concept. And that's not even counting the Justice Society of America, which first appeared in the 40's.

Other than the fact they're both super hero teams, there is NO connection and no plagiarism on any front. In fact, the success of the Avengers ONLY served to give WB confidence to revisit the project.

But here's another interesting tidbit...

WB doesn't know if it wants to sequel Green Lantern or start all over again with another tedious origin story

I say, either make a sequel or dump it. The GL movie's main problems were all origin. Sinestro didn't become a villain in that story, and hints that he would soon become one were strongly implied by the end of the film. As poorly executed as the movie was, it DEMANDS a sequel about Sinestro's rise, focusing on Hal Jordan exclusively on OA, instead of goofing around on Earth discovering he has powers.... that's why the first one was poorly received.

EDIT: Actually, the Justice League movie was considered in 2007, when they hired the first writers. The idea of an Avengers movie came in 2008, after Iron Man was a success at the box office.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
The problem is they are pushing a Justice league movie now because of the Avengers success (and I have always been a big DC fan so a part of me would want to see this) The thing is avengers worked because they spent years building a superhero universe. Even the mediocre Marvel movies (I always get hassled because I liked Thor) served a purpose of universe building. Justice leaugue is almost doing this backwards and wanting to make the team movie first...which will not tie into the recent batman movies and probably not the new Superman or the greenlantern movie. I just don't think the time if ever is now for a Justice league movie...when I left avengers my first thought was that this movie should not even exist...it took a lot of work to do a superhero group movie like that and I just don't see DC pulling it off.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's kinda my thoughts too. It could work, but it might not. They haven't really had a successful DC movie outside of the Nolan Batman movies (and we only have the two to go on, I'm sure the third will be a success too). And the Avengers was a success for those reasons you mentioned. They made separate movies first, all did very well (though they had to redo Hulk specifically for that movie), and planned a story arc that revolved around the events of those movies, yet not too specific so those who didn't see any of those movies weren't completely lost.

However, they planned the Justice League movie about 2007, and nothing came of it. Among other things, that big old writer's strike. And I think it's for the best because they were going to do it Mo-Cap from what I remembered reading. They are indeed pushing to get this movie made now because Avengers was a success, but all that did was prove that a big team up style movie has the potential to do well. They were probably waiting until Avengers came out to see if the waters were safe.

Still, they've had a rough go making a Superman movie franchise, and I'm not looking all that forward to another re-imagining of the character unless it isn't all about fighting Lex Luthor.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
I'm just not sure where they would o with it...about 5 years ago I was at Wizard World Chicago and Christian Bale said that he would be up for doing a Justice League movie with Brandon Routh...since then Superman has gone in a different direction and Batman is approaching the end of that story (we're not even sure Batman will live at the end....no spoilers just saying) so would the Justice League be like the avengers or are we looking at different actors in the lead roles? That would be somehwat confusing . I mean in theory you have an actor playing BAtman, Green Lantern, and Superman right now...so if they could convince them to play ball...it could be a case where the whole is greater than the parts...much like avengers...but can you get those parts to play together...

Drtooth

Reaction score
The plan is not to go in the same direction as Avengers, and not hire the same actors that were in the movies of those characters. They're basically starting over with a completely different, disconnected story, unlike the world and continuity building that Avengers did with Thor and Captain America.

And that's fine with me. I don't want to see Nolan's exact version of Batman in that film, and I'm sure no one really wants to see Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern again... unless they can pull the second one out of their butts and make it work this time.

All I can say, though... if they want a Justice League movie to work, hire Paul Dini to write it.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Like I asked before, why would Superman need six other heroes to help him, unless somehow, Lex Luther finds Kryptonite then, he can save the entire world by himself! That's mainly the reason why I never liked Justice League. It doesn't make any sense.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Justice League is Intergalactic as well.

Let me put it this way.

Have you ever seen a cartoon series where there's one super hero and the villains manage to capture or dispose of him/her, and they wind up running rampant until the hero frees themself/clears their name whatever? THAT'S why they need to team up. not to mention the fact that the villains in turn team up.

If you think about a super hero universe, other than how nightmarish it really would be, each superhero has at least multiple villains anyway. It isn't a matter of Superman fighting Lex Luthor. He can fight Lex, unless Lex has Kryptonite. It's more of a matter of Superman, Green Lantern, Batman, Plastic Man, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, and the rest fighting Lex, Darkseid, Braniac, The Joker, and lord knows who else. Or a giant alien invasion that couldn't be defeated through one hero.
They basically team up if something REALLY big is going down, but they also can work for themselves under less dire situations is what I'm saying.