WB trying for Justice League movie again

Drtooth

Reaction score
The one thing DC has done good by is television animation... though I get the distinct feeling Beware the Batman's Bowlderization is going to hurt the series significantly, and the DC nation shorts "Batman of Shanghai" seem to be a much higher concept and more worthy of a TV series. Plus, I'm not exactly loving the new concept of Teen Titans being all squashed down comedy. If they wanted a comedy series based on the DC shorts, why can't they give Plastic Man the series he deserves? One with Woozy Winks, like they did with Batman Brave and the Bold. Heck, that's the only place Marvel's getting heat. Ending Avengers:Earth's Mightiest Heroes to reboot it with something closer to the style of the movie (you mean it wasn't to begin with?), and (While I enjoy it myself) I hear Ultimate Spider-Man's getting mixed feedback.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head, Drtooth. Bruce Timm and Dwayne McDuffie's Justice League Animated was truly amazing, and it did a great job of introducing the DCU to a younger audience while making older fans happy as well. Even when they changed it to JLU and made it just a half-hour, it was still fantastic, and relatively obscure DC characters such as The Question and Captain Atom were given a place in the spotlight. I also immensely enjoyed Batman: Brave and the Bold for much of the same reasons (also, you can never have enough Booster Gold, a regular guest on BBB), and Tom Kenny's loving portrayal of Plastic Man will never be surpassed.

Teheheman

Reaction score
The thing about why WB hasn't done a Justice League movie is because the other movies(Batman excluded) didn't do as well in the box office. The only flop in the Avengers would be Captain America. Iron Man was a success, and I believe that Thor was too. One of the 2 Hulk movies that came out within 3-4 years of each other was a success. So you had all these successful movie characters in 1 movie. No WONDER it made $900 billion in the box office(I maybe off by 1 or 2 billion but roughly estimated). There really hasn't been a Justice League character, outside of Batman, that has had a good enough movie in the past 5-10 years to warrant a Justice League film.

Daniel

Drtooth

Reaction score
But that's the point. That they think they have to have the same conditions as Avengers (It honestly didn't matter if Captain America and Thor did well, since the movie already was in production, but Iron Man 1 and 2 were the tells). I honestly think they could just go out and do a one shot JLA film, then use that as a springboard for other films if its successful. Of course, they just have to hire someone amazing to write a strong script and get a strong director who knows what he's doing.

I can't see a JLA movie made the same way The Avengers was made. People would have to like the next Superman film, and that's a very big gamble. Looks like they're going to origin us again, something unnecessary since everyone knows that story. Heck, we just finished a 10 year version of that story last year.

You know, the original 2008 concept was mo-cap animated. While I'm no fan of Mo-Cap (though Tintin was pretty solid a film), animation MIGHT be a good way to go.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I like the idea of a Justice League movie. I also like the idea of Batman vs Superman. Contrary to an earlier comment, Superman can't just kill Batman. Neither of the characters are killers and the "vs" portion is along idealogical lines, not murderous ones.

Whatever DC decides to do, the fact is they'll have to recreate (not necessarily reboot) the Batman character. He's the most popular DC hero by far and that isn't going to change. I would be upset at them jumping on the Bats bandwagon so quickly if not for the haphazard way Nolan chose to end his franchise.

** I miss the Batman of the Animated Series**​
The rumored plan is to start from scratch with a JLA film and cast all new actors to play new incarnations of the characters. They might be following the popularity of Marvel's Avengers, but it's clear they are not following the playbook and that gives me hope. Part of me hopes they keep the JLA in another universe separate from all other tellings and maybe even make it a golden-era period piece! Let's face it. The effects budget is going to be huge considering all the superpowers so why not just go for it and place it in a time before cellphones? A time when America was at war, gangsters controlled the streets and newspapers were still relevant.​

That said, a Batman film is said to follow the JLA picture. If they are to recreate Bruce Wayne, I hope they ditch any origin story and just cut into the action. Give us good Batman stories that don't necessarily have to tie into some timeline. Give us a world closer to Batman the Animated Series. Forget Keaton, Nicholson and Ledger and just start fresh. Make something fun. Personally, I like what the videogame world has done with Arkham Asylum.

I don't see why that Batman has to tie into the JLA Dark Knight, but maybe it could. That actor would certainly get quite the payday. I just hope they don't use Levitt. That idea in the film left a bad aftertaste.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Right now I am looking forward to seeing what they've done to Supes next summer.

Teheheman

Reaction score
Yeah but when they make a Justice League movie, I doubt that after that, they'd make a Wonder Twins movie.......although, I'd see that just for the special effects of the guy turning into a bucket of ice

Daniel

beakerboy12

Reaction score
I want a Justice League film, I really do. I liked DC heroes first but now that Marvel movies have come along and told a good story, I'm liking them more. I want to give DC another chance. But there are a lot of kinks I'll admit that. Green Lantern wasn't a success and was quite confusing. Christian Bale and Christopher Nolan aren't doing anymore Batman stuff. And Aquaman.

Now, I'm not too sure we should skip straight to the JLA movie. While I'm not the biggest fan of origin stories, I think if this should happen, we need continuity. Green Lantern needs a sequel, not that I want a sequel. However, I will let a new Batman jump to the JLA movie like Hawkeye and Black Widow in Avengers. But this is what I think DC's lineup needs to be:

Man of Steel (the new Superman movie)
A Wonder Woman movie
A Flash movie
Green Lantern 2
Martian Manhunter (or) Aquaman (or) Batman [reboot] movie
JLA movie
Sequels galore

And also, I'm not wanting to copy Marvel, because with DC movies it should be darker and a little less similar to the Avengers. Just my idea.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's the thing... we'll never get the Wonder Woman project we think we deserve. Somehow it's impossible to get Wonder Woman on any project for unexplained reasons of Warner Brothers having no real excuse. There was that idiotic "no more movies with female action stars" bit after a string of terrible films like Ultraviolet and Aeon Flux (which only worked in animation anyway). They tried to make a pilot of a TV show, but it was Wonder Woman in name only and completely terrible. Other than a DTV animated DCU movie, the last solo venture WW had was the Lynda Carter show. Maybe they can't make a decent movie because they're too afraid of what comic geeks would say one way or another.

As for Aquaman... no one would want to see an Aquaman movie unless it was a Brady bunch style parody of itself. I could see a gritty, character salvaging undersea megabattle with Black Manta, and it could be an epic film... but the Aquaman sucks meme penetrated the character (no thanks in part to Super Friends), and we'd probably see some parody thing for a general pallet... and parody films just don't work anymore. The last thing Aquaman had (other than rumblings of a pilot that probably never happened) was a 1960's Filmation cartoon! Not even a DCU animated film (and I'd LOVE to see one based on the Batman BATB one).