Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know, I always felt bad that Peanuts didn't do as well as it could have because it opened against James Bond. And I'm sure there were a lot of old school Peanuts fans offended by the fact it was CGI, even though the look was perfect for a Peanuts film. But apparently, it was considered successful enough for them to want to make another one. Had it not been for the huge red tape involved with getting the license in the first place.

Whatever I could say about Trolls, it looks like it's that uncomfortable middle ground between not exactly a bomb, not exactly a success. And as someone who was annoyed to death by the merchandising, yet constantly roots for Dreamworks, I'm mixed. By all means, it looks like a better movie than Sharktale did, but that's a low bar. On the other hand, DW wanted to make Trolls a brand. And I'd assume that if the merchandising does better than the movie did, they'd continue that. But Trollhunters really should have been a film instead, but probably wasn't because they couldn't make cute merchandise out of it. Plus, they wanted to do something to get rid of the Trolls license they purchased. Pretty much the reason that horrible Dragonball movie got made when it did.

As for Dr. Strange, I'm glad it's doing great. It's not quite Civil War numbers, but not Ant-Man's sleeper hit numbers either. Like all origin movies, it starts off a little slow, but then really gets going when it does. I'm surprised that Benedict didn't use his natural accent for the character, but whatever. What I really liked about this film is, while all these Super Hero films feature cities being destroyed...

This one shows a city getting destroyed in reverse.

Another great installment of the Marvel Disney movie franchise. Seems that Strange is going to be integrated into other films in no time, especially considering

His mystical eye is actually an infinity stone.

Also a mid-credits scene with Thor suggests he might be in their movie

D'Snowth

Reaction score
UGH! There's going to be a Furby movie. :grouchy:
Yeah, they've been talking about that for a while now. Apparently, Furby, in general, is a thing again; I've been seeing commercials for these newer versions of Furby's they've recently come out with - they apparently can speak a little more intelligibly now.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
It's kinda sad. How's the US supposed to keep making movies if no one is going out to see them?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I guess more and more people are going over to Drtooth's mentality of waiting till it's available on DVD or some kind of streaming service to see it, considering how expensive going to movies is in this day and age.