Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

Super Scooter

Reaction score
A note to the Weinstein Company: GET ROLLING WITH THE FRAGGLE ROCK MOVIE ALREADY!

It's been over 5 years since this movie went into development. The Weinstein Company has now had their meddling hands in the project for over 2 years. Cory Edwards has been writing and re-writing the project ever since! Quit dragging your feet on this, Weinstein. Stop with the notes and the delays and the lack of progress, or you'll kill OUR movie! You have a pretty bad reputation, and you're lucky the Henson Company has graciously let you into the opportunity of a lifetime. DON'T LET THE FRAGGLE ROCK MOVIE BECOME FANBOYS!

Please?

:smirk: :excited: :coy:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Fraggle Rock is really a no-brainer as a franchise. It's all good-to-go. In fact, this film could help save the Weinstein Co from its current problems. I mean, if MGM can put out Hobbit and James Bond movies then the ecomomy is just bad all around the film industry.

Drtooth

Reaction score
A note to the Weinstein Company: GET ROLLING WITH THE FRAGGLE ROCK MOVIE ALREADY!
That's the problem right there... they actually can't. They have no money. That's why WB is doing Sesame Street videos now. I still say they NEED to find another partner in this. Something's moving forward (slowly) with Dark Crystal 2... and do you think they'd bother spending all that time an energy Free Comic Book day to just promote the comics? All parties involved want to do the money, but no thanks to the economy (as Frogboy stated) movie production companies are having a hard time. And to quote Corey himself "... and the Marmaduke movie gets greenlit." it's a shame. And If Lion;s gate is having problems, there goes the back up.

Too bad they couldn't have just junked the entire Smurf movie, produced this, and started over, considering a bunch of annoyed 80's kids and Euro-comic fans will really be angry.

Foodie

Reaction score
Fraggle Rock is really a no-brainer as a franchise. It's all good-to-go. In fact, this film could help save the Weinstein Co from its current problems. I mean, if MGM can put out Hobbit and James Bond movies then the ecomomy is just bad all around the film industry.

* cringes * I hate it when movies and the like are referred to as " franchises " . No offense to you or anything. :smirk:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
* cringes * I hate it when movies and the like are referred to as " franchises " . No offense to you or anything. :smirk:
Star Wars, James Bond, Lord of the Rings, the Muppets...all franchises. It doesn't mean that's a bad thing. In fact, just the opposite. Even Jim Henson built a shrine to the almighty dollar. It was with a wink and a nod, of course, but also with much understanding of how things get funded and made. Without such franchise backing good ideas get little money, promotion or success, but maybe the term to some people is as off putting as a Food Network special on how sausage is made. There's no shame in calling something what it is, but it can be creepy.

Foodie

Reaction score
Star Wars, James Bond, Lord of the Rings, the Muppets...all franchises. It doesn't mean that's a bad thing. In fact, just the opposite. Even Jim Henson built a shrine to the almighty dollar. It was with a wink and a nod, of course, but also with much understanding of how things get funded and made. Without such franchise backing good ideas get little money, promotion or success, but maybe the term to some people is as off putting as a Food Network special on how sausage is made. There's no shame in calling something what it is, but it can be creepy.

I know. I know. I just think the term is cold and... umm... too corporate. Oh, and heartless. I've never been a fan of the whole " this is first & foremost a business " outlook on movies and comics &... well, art. Making money from your art is good & all don't get me wrong about that. I think pop culture has embraced the " franchise thing " to a point where the art & love are ... really, really shoved into the background under a bunch of old socks. I'm not standing outside of movie theaters with picket signs or anything though. Heh heh. This is more of an interesting observation for me. :smirk:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I know. I know. I just think the term is cold and... umm... too corporate. Oh, and heartless. I've never been a fan of the whole " this is first & foremost a business " outlook on movies and comics &... well, art. Making money from your art is good & all don't get me wrong about that. I think pop culture has embraced the " franchise thing " to a point where the art & love are ... really, really shoved into the background under a bunch of old socks. I'm not standing outside of movie theaters with picket signs or anything though. Heh heh. This is more of an interesting observation for me. :smirk:
Very true. I feel that Henson Co had the Muppets for so many post-Jim years and couldn't balance enough of the corporate side to maintain Muppet momentum the way Disney seems to be doing. I'm okay with anything short of poking a hobo in the eye with a stick as long as the Muppets show up frequently like we know and love 'em.

Yorick

Reaction score
Clearly... it's an excuse to make more terrible 3-D movies. Remember that terrible "Journey to the Center of the Earth?"
I really liked that movie too, LOL! Will I buy it? No, but that's just because I am picky when it comes to movies - believe it or not! I still say you should try "Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs"
but there are films I will not see - the new A Team movie, for example - out of respect for the original "Team" and because it just looks dumb.:rolleyes: No offense to anyone involved.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I just don't understand. If Weinstein doesn't have the money (and we know that since they were trying to find yet another backer), why not find another company altogether? I mean, I would hate to see the Fraggles end up in the hands of someone who would turn it into every other "children's" movie, but there must be some studio out there willing to take a chance on the Fraggles and stay true to the spirit of Fraggle Rock.

For the kids of the '80s, Fraggle Rock was bigger than either The Muppet Show or Sesame Street. I'm amazed at the number of people who talk about the show, people I would have never guessed that just LOVE Fraggle Rock. It's amazing, but while there are Muppet fans like us, there are also Fraggle fans with little interest in other Muppet stuff. It seems like a no-brainer. These people would support a movie, not only to introduce their children to the Fraggles, but because they love the Fraggles. It's frustrating to see it stuck in limbo.