Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...could this be the case?

I see Seth's advice as one thing rather than the only thing to include in order to please core fans. Cory already knows it's about story and character development. This just seems to be something extra. It's cool to me.

It also seems that the Weinstein edgy comment has recently been defined as something akin to that special added layer of humor the classic Muppet Show characters have that connects to older viewers without compromising younger viewers. I think their notes were a poorly communicated way to say that. I'm not sure if a Fraggle film needs that particular veneer, it just seems that more likely that this is what they're saying rather than the inclusion of tired pop culture jokes or crude toilet humor.

A Fraggle film has to be different than the classic episodes. Even Cory admitted that. They have to get the 30somethings as well as the younger audiences. We've grown up and part of the film (but not the Fraggles themselves) should nod at that. This really is a difficult undertaking.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
HONESTLY, I think that Corey is just pushing it too far talking smack about the Weinstein etc, honestly, who is HE to judge? He's only done one movie which did okay at the box office.

I would rather have no Fraggle movie and keep the spirit alive through the dvd's. Then it end up like a "Smurfs"/"Alvin & The Chipmunks" bull ******

Drtooth

Reaction score
I would say it would depend on how you do it. The new Batman movies, Star Trek ... those reference A LOT but they don't look like "Can we be invited into the geek club too?".
I think they did the "Capt. Kirk likes to nail green women" joke with a little style and class, all the while making it a slight reference to a joke about the series. Then of course, you have Scooby-Doo (both of them) that referenced Pup so many times (the second one made a reference to Frankenchicken), you swore they wrote the movie using Pup as source material... it sure shows in Fred and Daphne's personalities in those films.

I wasn't as against it, but you make it sound like Boober wrote the script. :stick_out_tongue:
Well, the director wanted the film to be more real and grounded by adding more mundane scenes. Now, there's a RIGHT way to do it and a WRONG way. In the commentary for the Incredibles Brad Bird mentions the phrase "The Fantastic and the Mudane" together... but he blended them in so well, it made the film the most realistic Super Hero parody I've seen. probably even more realistic than Watchmen (an' I'm talking the comic book, here). Tim hill took the best parts of the movie out and put in mail checking and playing poker and boring stuff like that. I'd love to see the director's cut... 90 more minutes of footage of them waiting in line at the bank and looking for a place to park.

It also seems that the Weinstein edgy comment has recently been defined as something akin to that special added layer of humor the classic Muppet Show characters have that connects to older viewers without compromising younger viewers. I think their notes were a poorly communicated way to say that. I'm not sure if a Fraggle film needs that particular veneer, it just seems that more likely that this is what they're saying rather than the inclusion of tired pop culture jokes or crude toilet humor.
Well, I see what you're thinking... but I'm sure Corey knows the difference between a movie that appeals to adults and one that's just got lame attempts at "adult humor" shoehorned in. I can't take a studio head's definition of "edgy" any more than I can take their definition of "anime." no... it DOESN'T all look like Pokemon and DBZ. Watch a freaking Tensai Bakabon or a Doraemon sometime.

The problem is studio "edgy" seems to have the connotation of crude humor and pop culture overload. Look at the trailers for Cats and Dogs 2. Half the lines and scenes were outright pilfered from other movies in a shallow attempt to be funny. And I swear... "Say hello to My Little Friend" is the MOST overused line in a movie, and anyone caught using it for any reason should have to pay a fine or get a hard "F" rating (F as in failure... as in never watch this movie and let it fail at the box office). if I see a trailer or poster with "Say Hello to our little friends" or any variation with the FR movie, I'll scream and refuse to watch it.

I've said it before, FR was plenty edgy. it made fun of the darkest parts of the human experience in a gentle "You're being silly" way... unlike Dinosaurs which was a little darker, I feel (watch Nuts to War... you'll know what I mean).

I would rather have no Fraggle movie and keep the spirit alive through the dvd's. Then it end up like a "Smurfs"/"Alvin & The Chipmunks" bull ******
I have to say... The Chipmunks itself wasn't a terrible film. Sure, it was lacking, the sequel kinda sucked, but considering you're doing a movie based on a novelty music act that became a cartoon series, it's not like they tore the franchise down. Smurfs maybe... Underdog definitely, Marmaduke? The lesson learned there is that it BOMBED painfully.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Drtooth, true. It's just like theres TOO much of a risk for it to become a flop but at the same time if we have the main performers -- theres hope. I think we need to bring in Goelz or Prell to help mold the script, they seem to be willing to do it, so let them help co-write or something. They know the characters best, rather than a guy who just watched the DVD's etc.

And amickeymuppet, it was an opinion, thats it, no reason to criticize me. But that was your opinion too, so its whatever. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Drtooth, true. It's just like theres TOO much of a risk for it to become a flop but at the same time if we have the main performers -- theres hope. I think we need to bring in Goelz or Prell to help mold the script, they seem to be willing to do it, so let them help co-write or something. They know the characters best, rather than a guy who just watched the DVD's etc.
This film NEEDS that sort of input, I feel. And they just aren't getting it yet. Look at the Jason Segal project. They had a table read with all the performers. Don't you think that some of them said, "I don't think Fozzie would say exactly that, but he would say this" or "I like that but what if it's more like this."

Input.

They need to get in the performers and whoever's left that wrote and or shaped the series and just ad their input to the script to help flesh it out. And we need someone at Henson to give that sort of guidance as well. You don't think Jim Lewis and the rest at Muppets Studio aren't helping them out with the Muppet movie script?

If they're serious about making this, they need to go several steps ahead of the script writing process and go straight to an initial table read THEN go back and do another pass of the script and repeat a couple times until they get to producing the dang thing.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Jocelyn Stevenson is still around and should be called in to talk about the script.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I found a link you might find interesting: http://www.ncregister.com/blog/edgy_fraggles/
On a different note, I still hope to see the Smurfs movie, even if it is as bad as everyone says it will be.
Whoever wrote that blog clearly has little or no knowledge of the Fraggles, but even THAT's the kind of support and outcry we need. I'm sure a LOT more progress is being made since then, and we'll hopefully get something GOOD out of all of this. Again, I have to say, FR does have edge... it's just not in your face edge. But I've said that so many times you probably know what I mean.

And I'll try to not hate the Smurf movie. Hopefully it's not as bad as I'm fearing... but heck with that, we're getting the ACTUAL Belgian Smurfs comics that started it all in English! I doubt we even had them in the 80's. I'm so smurfing some of those up when I get a chance.