1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

West Nile, Swine Flu, Meningitis, and Sequelitis

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D'Snowth, Nov 10, 2012.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's been all kinds of outbreaks and epidemics lately, but it seems like sequelitis has especially gotten out of control in recent times. I mean, just look at all the sequels we're getting soon: The Muppets (2011) 2 (that goes without saying), Monster's University (technically, prequel, I know), Smurfs 2 (are we sure this isn't just an excuse to give NPH yet ANOTHER movie?), Alvin and The Chipmunks 4 (assuming it hasn't been shelved in favor of the new animated series), Hotel Transylvania 2, Wreck-it Ralph 2 (and number one of both JUST came out), among others.

Will there ever be a cure? Or at least a containment of some sort?
    Muppet fan 123 and heralde like this.
  2. muppetfan24/7

muppetfan24/7 Well-Known Member

Squelitis? I have NEVER ever heard of an outbreak of that before in my entire life. I am not sure if there is a cure, but there are squels. Dang! :sigh:
  3. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

*itches skin*

Though the Muppets one may not really be a sequel, yet only marketed as one for the time being, as such TMM and GMC.

*continues itching*
  4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

It's natural to want a sequel. You get involved with characters for 90+ minutes and you want the story to continue. Movies usually have a sequel hook, anyway. The question really is if we'll get the sequel we'll deserve or something like Cars 2, which seems like a comic book adaption/Saturday morning cartoon episode. I mean, I love the Men in Black movies, but the second one was far inferior to that cartoon adaption. The third was an improvement.

I will say, half of those films deserve a sequel, The Chipmunks doesn't. That one's for money. Wreck it Ralph is about Fix-it-Felix Jr. There's a built in sequel right there (maybe we'll get more involvement with Nintendo this time, so we won't have pallet swapped princesses covering their faces). I'm not too happy Smurfs 2 has them come back to our time, but the plot actually sounds slightly better (Gargamel makes an evil army of clone Smurfs). I dunno about Hotel Transylvania 2. I liked that movie, even with problems with script and too much Adam Sandler. I guess there's something to Dracula's daughter being in love with a mortal, leading to the inevitable of him dying, and losing him forever until they turn him into a monster... but knowing them, they'll go for something not half as deep as that.

The funny thing is, to the far future the only Dreamworks sequels I see are 2 for How to Train your Dragon (one in 2014, one in 2016) and one for Kung Fu Panda (2016) (unless you count the Penguins of Madagascar the movie... and SO HELP ME, they better keep cartoon continuity with that).
  5. D'Snowth

I can go along with you on that one (I know Dana Carvey was really wanting a sequel to The Master of Disguise), and while that actually can be the case some times, it seems more like in this day and age, sequels for movies has pretty much become an overused and overrated gimmick... y'know, like 3D? Also seems like the fact that some movies already have sequels in the works right when the first just comes out kind of speaks volumes, but then again, like you say, some of it may have to do with hooks and clauses and such.

Still, it almost seems like it's gotten out of hand.
    Fragglemuppet likes this.
  6. miss kermie

miss kermie Well-Known Member

I was about to rant about swine flu.
    Hmmm...

We didn't start the sequels,
    We are all against 'em,
    Can't we just erase 'em?
    We didnt start the sequels,
    The sequels don't make sense,
    So now they're on the fence...

I don't know.
  7. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Lol, brillant!
  8. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Oh wow...it wasn't until heralde quoted that the I actually "got" what Jaz did there...and me now likey.
    heralde likes this.
  9. miss kermie

LOL Hubert.
  10. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

And now Billy will be stuck in my head for eternity...
    Fragglemuppet likes this.
  11. miss kermie

All it takes is a parody, huh?
  12. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Yes, yes it does.

*leaves thread before someone yells at us for turning this into the Billy Joel appreciation thread*

*is still humming*
    Muppet fan 123 and miss kermie like this.
  13. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Did the Smurfs really do well enough for a sequel? O_0

That really was a terrible movie. And the design of the smurfs was gross...
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  14. D'Snowth

Again, if he's in it, my theory is that this is just an excuse to give NPH yet another movie for them to shove at us.
  15. Drtooth

I don't mind as long as we get a story that needs a sequel. There are films that have better stories in the second film, especially since they got all the establishment stuff out of the way. Kung Fu Panda 2 was a far deeper and darker movie than the first. The villain of the first one was just someone that turned evil and wanted revenge. The second one was about a peacock from a crappy family that went nuts and wanted to cause mass panda genocide, all the while diving deeper into Po's past and why he was an orphan. The Toy Story films got deeper with each sequel. And why there are those that disagree, I think Back to the Future 2 was overall more enjoyable than the first, and completely original being the only movie at the time to go back to the first one and create a second story arc that co-exists with the first film's. The first one was about choices, sure, but a lot of the film was reverse Oedipus Rex style, while the second dealt with consequences of screwing around with time. Not only in the past, but the future.

Then you get those sequels that are a waste of perfectly good potential. Cars 2 was clearly meant for children, but they could have had a more meaningful plot than "super spy movie parody#5624." As much as I liked the oil conspiracy theory in it. Chipmunks 3 was just a "WHY?" in terms of the plot.

And my personal favorite, Hangover sequels. Hangover 2 was a tongue in cheek joke about how it would be impossible to make a sequel to certain films because they'll just wind up making the first film again with a bigger budget. The film was basically saying "how can anyone be stupid enough to let the same events happen twice?" And I don't think anyone even got that joke, cuz they're making a second one.

But we all want to see more story. Problem is, we wind up envisioning better than the film writers do a great deal of the time.
  16. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

I hate uneccesary sequels. If they make a movie, and wrap it up very well that it doesn't need a sequel, then I hat it when they make a sequel.
    Recent Example: Finding Nemo 2. Does Nemo really need a sequel? I mean, what's up with these people? I'm perfecly happy with the one Nemo movie you gave us, we really don't need more.

The Chipmunks are a waste of time, four Chipmunk movies? Why are people watching that?
  17. Drtooth

We have no story yet. You can't judge the project when there's not even a story attached yet. I'm sure they're smart enough not to Hangover 2 and make them lose Nemo again. There was that Boom 4 issue comic "Losing Dory," so I'm sure they're not going to do that one. Pixar has been good with sequels so far, Cars 2 being a weak sequel to what was a weak movie in general (the second was at least more visually stunning, and it did have an original to the franchise story... I'll give it that). I have faith in this, but I want to hear what the story behind it is. And even then, 4 year wait with only 1 prequel and at least 2 or 3 original films in between then.
  18. D'Snowth

Is anybody even liking Wreck-it Ralph yet? I mean so far, I've only heard ONE positive review, maybe two, among mostly negativity.
  19. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I liked it.
  20. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

I didn't enjoy it that much. I feel that they had so much potenital and they built up such a fantastic world, but they kinda messed it up.

There are a bunch of positives reviews on the movie in The Weekly Box Office Disscussion Thread, I had my hope up too high.