1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

What are the lamest, Dullest, and Worst Non-Muppet segments?

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Drtooth, Jun 27, 2008.

1. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Well actually I remember reading an interview with Linda Bove where she said when she first came on the show, her role was very much like what Tahra's role was later. She was there to show how deaf people communited and how normal it was, etc. She eventually complained to the writers saying she felt her character was too boring and they should try incorporating some of her sense of humor. And that's when they started making her character stronger (interacting with Bob and all). I thought that was interesting!

I will say though, I remember Tahra and while her character was largely about the wheelchair, I though she had a nice personality (not saying you don't think that of course). :)
  2. Mokeystar

Mokeystar Member

As a lifelong resident of the Seattle area who has been living there since I was born (and the year the "My Dad is a Busdriver" clip was made), I guarantee you those signs are real as real can be. ;)
  3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

It wasn't that she was bad, it just seems like she was forced into the show, and she wasn't given anything more interresting to do. Sort of like Scooby Dumm in Scooby Doo. She was there, but she mainly just agreed with everyone and said a few lines that seem added in last minute.

Anyway, I forget if I said "Clown Honk" or not, but definately not a fan of the stop motion paper products segments of the 90's. They have a style to them, I agree. But I never liked them at all. Especially the category of different building tools and materials being sorted and then building a house.

And I never liked the "We're the number one" segment. yeah, that was funny for a split second.
  4. Drtooth

BUMP

Come on... there has to be more stuff we haven't covered yet.
  5. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

6. mr3urious

Sorry for the double post and necrobump, but I wanted to share a few more sketches I don't like. Things are just that slow on the weekends, and I'm really bored.

The recent sand drawing version of "Sing". Stephanie D'Abruzzo's beautiful singing voice is outstaged by all those loud, distracting animal sounds! Just another example why using too many sound effects is a bad thing!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR9DkBlMfsY

Ugh! Kids get enough nagging about healthy foods from their parents! Do the producers really need to do it on the show? :grouchy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7tpfM-PgGc

This seems very insulting to the average kid's intelligence. Look at all that round crap! Surely the producers couldn't have made something a bit more challenging?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLk47AHZG0c
  7. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Although I like most of the 90's bits, I really dislike this one. Its quite boring and not really funny or clever (I do like the Grasshopper at the end, because J. Mazzarino is a hilarious performer.)
  8. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

I don't see why that last segment's insulting though maybe you're right that it could be more complicated.

There's another one like this on triangles where this whatever you call those large metal things that cover vacant store fronts.

Matter of fact it's on the SS website though for some reason I like that one.

As for sing, I agree the updated version of itisn't all that great.

The hopping piece certainly dumb but Benny can sure hop better.
  9. Drtooth

I have to say, I thought the animation for that was spectacular... but I agree those animal sounds ruined it.

I have yet to see a GOOD Healthy Food segment that doesn't use muppets. That one looks as ugly as it is boring. Though, I think I dislike "I eat the colors of the rainbow" much more.

Unless I already mentioned it, I never liked "We're the Number One!" Yeah,., that was funny for about 2 seconds...
  10. ErnieandTelly

ErnieandTelly New Member

Traction Jackson

So lame:p
  11. mr3urious

I'd say the best ones are this...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoFP6AvNWic

and this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYhOLnNlAbk

I have to admit, the last one was pretty effective at making me crave fruit, even as a kid!

I agree that they are all pretty dull, except for "Doggone Jealous Blues".
  12. muppets2

muppets2 New Member

yea traction jackson was horrible and lame at the same time:(:p
  13. Drtooth

Am I the only one that thought Traction Jackson was alright? I mean, he actually had some sort of personality, and they addressed the fact he was in a wheel chair without the same kid gloves as they did with that actual human character years ago. Plus, I really liked that dog.
  14. Gelfling Girl

Gelfling Girl Active Member

How about those scenes with the dogs, but a human would be doing their hands, and they speak in dull, boring voices? I once watched a whole movie like that (The Hardly Boys in Hardly Gold or something like that) and it was long and boring and a total waste of money, brains, and time. :sleep::boo:
  15. Katzi428

Katzi428 Well-Known Member

I agree with you about James Earl Jones doing the alphabet.On the one hand it takes a long time.But on the other hand,possibly he says it for a long time for the letters to sink into the kids' heads.
    Also while we're on the subject of JEJ doing things on Sesame Street,what was the deal with him saying numbers 1-10 & suddenly ducking out of the way after 10? It looked like he was avoiding getting hit by something. (The Count's thunder & lightning perhaps?:batty: ) All kidding aside I'm sure that kids got creeped out about that.
  16. APRena

APRena New Member

I think there's a song/clip with different kinds of vegetables flying around and spinning on a purple background or something... weird. All the Healthy Food stuff is getting to be a little much, in my opinion. :smirk: "I Eat the Colors of the Rainbow" is particularly irritating, maybe it's the kids' voice?

Oh and as a kid, those dogs in clothes with human hands used to scare the heck out of me, now I just think they're horrible. They don't teach anything, and they're not funny.
  17. Gelfling Girl

Gelfling Girl Active Member

Yes, they just "talk" in boring dry voices. :p
  18. Drtooth

Ah, the William Wegman segments? To fully appreciate those, I guess you have to be a fan of his work. I saw a bunch of his old experimental videos years and years ago... and lemme tell you... they really give you an appreciation of what he's doing there... that, and you'll know that he's totally weird.

I still say the Healthy Food stuff was their PR department trying to save face for the whole Corporate McDonald's Sponsorship stuff... They would NOT have to drill that stuff into kids' heads that hard otherwise...
  19. Drtooth

Bump

Because of similar thread....

Seriously... Mr. Clock stinks and Hey Cow suuuuuucks
  20. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I'm the only one who ever stands up for Hey Cow, lol.