What are your stories?

That Announcer

Reaction score
Hi, everybody! (Hi, Dr. Nick!)

I'm Liam O'Keefe, a 13-year-old weirdo who reads way too much. Found this site through Karen Prell's page and have been here for a few months. Fave Muppets are Sam the Eagle, Beaker and Janice.

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale...

Okay, I've been a member of this forum for a while and I've never gotten around to telling my story. So, here it is.

My name is Kim, and I'm 24 years old. I was born and raised in a small town in Illinois (which I have dubbed the 'State of Random Acts of Road Construction'), save for a one year stretch of time at the very beginning of my life where my family lived in Iowa. But you're not interested in hearing about that, are you? On to the relevant stuff...

My early memories of the Muppets are, unfortunately, vague. I only recall the barest bits of Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock, the Muppet Show and the first three Muppet movies. The Muppet production I remember the most is Muppet Babies, particularly because my grandmother had a tape of the Muppet Babies and I used to watch it at her house whenever I could (*wonders if her grandmother still has that tape*). Even as a child I preferred Skeeter to Miss Piggy, so naturally my favorite MB episodes were those that had her as a more prominent figure.

Fast-forward to 1994 or so. My mom rented Muppet Christmas Carol. I expected to see a dedication to Jim at the beginning, but was surprised to see one for Richard Hunt as well. At that time I didn't know who the other Muppet performers were aside from Frank Oz, and when I noticed that Statler's voice was different I presumed that Richard Hunt had been the performer for Statler. But since I didn't know who Richard really was, I didn't let it detract from my enjoyment of the movie.

Okay, fast-forward once again to about 2001 or so. While surfing the 'Net I came across the Muppet Central website, and found my way into the Tributes section of the Articles section (did that make sense?). I saw the name 'Richard Hunt' and, remembering it from the dedication at the beginning of MCC, clicked on the link and began reading the obits and tributes. To tell the truth I felt like a bit of a heel for thinking of Richard as just 'Statler's performer' after reading about how many characters he had done and how much he had contributed to the Muppets. When I found out that he had performed Scooter, I realized that that character hadn't been in either of the two Muppet movies since Jim's death or Muppets Tonight.

After browsing around MC for a while, I found my way to the forum. I always make it a point to read through some of the posts and see how active a message board is before I decide to join up. As it is, I didn't make the decision to join the fun here until 2002 after I had gone back to school. I chose the user name 'Skeeter Muppet' because Skeeter was my favorite character from Muppet Babies, and I figured there might be the possiblity of someone here already having the user name of 'Skeeter'.

And now we come to today, the present. I've been here for nearly three years, I've graduated from college and I'm 32 posts away from becoming a senior member. I've created a website for my favorite Muppet, Scooter. Other favorite Muppet characters include Robin, Gobo, Mokey and Gillis Fraggle, and the Wild Impresario (who I'm considering creating a website for).

So that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

-Kim

luvtosr

Reaction score
OK, um. I'm Kate, 1/4 century old.

I have vague recollections of The Muppet Show and Fraggle Rock from when I was little and I pretty much remember Sesame Street quite well, my love of Oscar managed to counter my deep fear of Big Bird.

I sort of grew up as many people do and as the shows stopped airing I sort of forgot about them - not fully though. They would always come up in those random conversations with people of a similar age when everyone tries to remember all the shows that were on "back in the day".

Then I got my internet connection, went onto ebay and searched Fraggle Rock (something had reminded me of the show earlier in the day) found the first two USA DVDs and bought them, found the UK DVDs and bought them and the same with the European ones. My rather disapproving partner had to be hoodwinked - I said they were for our two kids (and the kids do love 'em!). Then I found my way to Fragglerocker.com and from there over here. I have some catching up to do before I'm really familiar with the Muppets again but I'll get there.

Oh, and my partner has sort of cottoned on that I'm buying this stuff primarily for me but he's just had to give in to it (well I have to put up with football, golf, snooker, darts...)

That Announcer

Reaction score
I suppose I oughta give you a partially more detailed story than the one above.

Hi, I'm TA. (Starting to sound a bit like an AA meeting here, isn't it?) I ought to give you a little backstory before the real tale kicks in.

Muppet fandom runs in my family. My father loved to watch Sesame Street as a kid, and when his father was in the hospital after surgery, he watched it as well. Not only did he watch it, he LIKED it! (So much for the Sesame-is-just-for-kids theory...) My mother can remember watching and loving the Muppet Show and (to a degree) Fraggle Rock. Her father would watch TMS with her, but mostly be disinterested, as the only thing he was watching for was the Country Trio. Right, now back to me.

I very literally became introduced to the Muppets straight out of the womb, as some of my first sleepers had Kermit on them, or so I'm told. My memory waned in the years after that.

The first Muppet memory I have, as so many of yours were, was watching "Sesame Street". Boy, I loved that show. I made sure to get up early enough to watch it (7 AM, what were they thinking?) every day. Now ironically at the time, I actually liked Elmo. I do not know what I was thinking, but yes, I did like Elmo. However, I also laughed my *** off at Ernie, Bert, and (for some reason) Alistair Cookie. I owned a Tickle-me-Elmo and as I write this it sits in my bomb shelter in a taped-up box, but as soon as I can get my hands on a blowtorch, I'm gonna make sure I don't own one anymore.

The first Muppet movie I ever saw was MTI, and boy, did I love it. I think I might have seen it twice, I'm not sure. I can very distinctly remember sitting in the theater, and for the first twenty minutes or so saying "Where's Kermit? Where's Kermit?" as I had never been introduced to this 'newer' (to me) gang of Muppets before. For a few years after that, I actually never called Sam the Eagle as such, as he was always Mr. Arrow to me. (Then I learned his real name, and now I love him.) The next really huge Muppet event was probably MFS, and I saw (but did not love) that one. Personally, I despise the ending (I remember saying to my ma in the theater, "Don't let him take Gonzo!"), but this would serve as the place where I was introduced to Pepe. I've been a fan ever since.

Then I amassed a rather large collection of Muppet videos, DVDs and toys. To this day I can tell you exactly where every one of my DVDs (Muppet or not) came from. (GMC was from a Best Buy in Florida, TMM was from a local used record store, TMTM was an FYE in Maine...) In terms of Muppets, the next three or four years lay dormant. Then came An Event: A family separation.

Clearly, this cannot be good news. I knew I had to turn to something to help me get over the entire thing. Unaware of the impact this would have on my future life, I popped in my TMS Mark Hamill DVD. I'd say right around then was when the obsession started. I begun to collect Palisades figures, stuffed toys (Beaker is the crown jewel of my collection), CDs and posters. I bought a few puppets and dug an old Ernie out, and I'm teaching myself to puppeteer (and doing a bad job of it, too).

I was searching Karen Prell's site one day, and I stumbled across a link to MC. So I clicked on the link, and I checked out every single area of the site (except the radio). I figured "What the ****, I'll join the forum", and so I did. Now I didn't post anything for about a week (unusual for me) and then I begun to post. Since then, well... you get the story.

-TA

Gonzo14

Reaction score
well hey there, I'm from Minnesota and I'll be a Senior in September. There's this joke in my family that my muppet obsession started when my sister, who's three years older than me colored a picture of Animal from a coloring book and put it on my crib at the hospital so she could tell which one was me. I own all of the 6 main muppet movies, and Follow That Bird, I have Very Muppet Christmas and Wizard of Oz taped. I also have a lot of the palisades figures, and I am very excited for the Muppet Show DVD set, because I was born in 88, 7 years after the show ended so I haven't seen too many episodes.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
Hey That Announcer, I just noticed you've been here since March and you've posted 1,700 times. I've been here since 2002 and I've posted 250 times.

G-MAN

Reaction score
Well, I suppose I'll tell my story. Like a lot of you I was born with the Muppets from birth. In fact a lot of the first tapes I own contain Muppet stuff on them taped from TV. Since I was born in 1985 (Currently 20), Muppet stuff was practically living in our TV, I watched The Muppet Show, Fraggle Rock, and Sesame Street (Though I don't have many memories of the latter at the time), and i have 2 Beta tapes (Yes, my granfather believed that Beta would outlast VHS) filled with episodes from The Muppet Show and (mostly) Fraggle Rock. Some of the specials were either rented from Applause Video (now known as Blockbusters) or taped from TV when they were new. Anyway fast-forward to Kindergarten when I brought my copy of Muppet Muppets Muppets: The Best Of Muppet Magazine to show and tell. Then came 1992, 1993, and 1994. Both big years as I saw Muppet Christmas Carol in theaters, got a copy of Jim Henson: The Works from QVC plus getting The Muppet Movie and The Great Muppet Caper for my birthday, and first saw MuppetVision 3D on our first trip to Disney World. (We later went back there in 1998) At those times I was just an avid fan, an obsession popping up briefly, and then going back inside. Then The Muppet Show came to Nickelodian and I began to tape every episode they aired (Though one tape got messed up due to an accident involving being put into the VCR right after a tape that a drink had been sitting on). I enjoyed watching them and using the episode guide from my book as a reference point. In 1996 I saw Muppet Treasure Island with a very good friend (Who hasn't continued onto this certain obsession unfortunately) I taped every episode of Muppets Tonight when it premered on ABC and later on the Disney Channel, and ended up missing seeing Muppets From Space when it came on. I was introduced to computers briefly back in Kindergarten, but wasn't introduced to the Internet until sometime around Junior High or High school. Most of my computer time in the school library went feeding my many obsessions, one of which, the Muppets was growing. Then in 2002, the year, I believe of A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie, and The Muppet Show's final year on Oddysey (I managed to get the rest of the 2nd season I missed and some of the 3rd and 4th when it changed to Hallmark) and my Muppet obsession was indeed growing, I probably came across this site, once or twice, but only to lurk, I know this because I did hear about the action figures but never really rushed to grab them yet. Then came September of 2003 when I joined your ranks and lost all hope for recovery, lol. I started to collect the figures starting with Rizzo (probably why he's my roommate hehe) With the help of EBay along with Sam Goody, Target, Toys R Us, and a very lucky find at a comic book store or two, I have my collection almost complete (I still need to get the rest of Series 9 and the current exclusives, plus some old exclusives). I have about all of the Muppet movies on DVD (I have yet to get Oz, Elmo In Grouchland, or Kermit's Swamp Years, though with my obsession, I'm sure it won't be long). That is my probably unnecessarily long story, lol.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
All right, I'm bored today, so I figured, I'd share my story because I haven't done so before.

I was born in 1981 and began watching Sesame Street before I could hardly talk. My mom says I used to get extremely excited whenever Bert and Ernie were on screen and by the time I was 4, I could say the entire "Here fishy fishy" skit along with them. I remember watching Christmas Eve on Sesame Street even in the summer because my parents had taped it for me with our cool new VCR (how strange to think that this was the newest technology at the time!). They also taped TMTM and GMC for me off of like HBO or Showtime when I was about 4 or 5. I started watching these movies nonstop as well. It's funny to me the things I thought were funny in those movies then and what I think is funny now. I also started watching Fraggle Rock somewhere around this time. I didn't see TMM until I was closer to about 10 or so. Anyway, Muppets were a pretty big part of my childhood. When I was 10 we went to Disney World for the first time and I saw the Muppets 3D attraction. I loved it and it's always been a stop every time I've been back since. I saw Muppet Christmas Carol in the theater, the first Muppet movie I ever saw in the theater. After that, I didn't see the other Muppet releases right away, but I still had a great love for the Muppets. I would always try to catch Sesame Street when I was home from school even when I was in high school. My junior year of college I gave a presentation on Jim Henson for a speech class. I had so much fun doing it. For Christmas, my fiance gave me a plush Red Fraggle and the first DVD "Where it All Began". I started looking for more Fraggle stuff online and I found this website! I lurked for about a month and then joined and the rest is history!

I really love different aspect of the Muppets. My favorite movies are TMTM, Follow that Bird and Labyrinth. My favorite Muppets are Red Fraggle, Boober Fraggle, Mokey Fraggle, Cookie Monster, Grover, Rowlf, Kermit and Fozzie. I now enjoy writing Muppet fan fiction when I get the chance and my current favorite obsession is the Muppet Show, which I also watched as a child, but didn't remember a whole lot about it until I got the first season. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Effralyo

Reaction score
Since my story`s in "Newbies: Please Post & Introduce Yourself" and I dun`want to repost it all again, I`ll better introduce myself here as the character I made up and use as an avatar, and sometimes perform in fanfics.
So:
Name: Effralyo Geewiliker
Birthday: (Like the real me - October 21)
Favorite trick: Headbutt Beauregard!
Favorite food: Hmm.....*scratches head* almost everything edible and brightly packed!
Favorite saying: If from the usual ones, it`s "GARDYLARDY CAAAAME!!!"; and from the spells, it`s Simberimby Sumworth!
Hates: To have moustache tugged too strong
Loves:To be hugged
Well....that`s , actually, all...