What Can We Do to Help?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
One can easily make a good living in the performing arts... actors and actresses get paid huge amounts for movies or each episode of a TV show they do, if you're an animator (for a big-name company like Pixar or Dreamworks) you can also get a nice paycheck, heck even famous singers and dancers make a killing if they know what they're doing!

So why is it that puppetry, which is now HUGE thanks to the creative geniuses and prodeges of Jim Henson and his company, doesn't pay very well? I'm still shocked at hearing that the Muppeteers (especially those working on Sesame Street which is my main goal in life) only get paid as "freelancers" and have to have second jobs just to make a living. I mean come on, these are the MUPPETS we're talking about! They're icons in pop-culture! They're internationally known! How can you not make much money working with Sesame Street and the Muppets?! I just don't understand.

If you ask me, I think the profession of puppetry should be paid A LOT better, especially if you're working with Sesame Street and the Muppets... is there anything we as fans, aspiring, and professional puppeteers can to help out in this department?

Jonathan

Reaction score
They Really Dont
Ask anyone (Well.. Most Anyone) thats on Broadway

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I wouldn't exactly describe puppetry as HUGE, because most people take it for granted. Let's face it. The name Steve Whitmire isn't exactly going to bring in the big bucks at the theater (although I'd probably see the movie a minimum of five times).

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
One problem is the less of a demand for puppeteers. Voice actors can survive, because the demand for constant work is there. Puppets are a rare art form and although the work to create a character and perform it is more, there are less opportunities available.

I only compare it to voice actors, because that's my other love, so I can at least stand behind what I say a little.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Only sort of off topic, but not really

Speaking of voice actors and making money, I just got done watching a video on the Looney Tunes Golden Collection vol.4 about Mel Blanc. They were saying how Warner Bros. wouldn't give him a pay raise for all his work, so he asked that his name be listed on the credits (voice actors pretty much never got any credit at that time). When they complied, he received so much work, it compensated for the low pay.

Basically, I think it comes down to recognition. I saw Mel Blanc on an episode of Munsters one time, and I don't think too many realized who it was at the time.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
This is a really interesting issue. There are a lot of puppeteers who make a good (not necessarily great) living doing puppetry full-time. They don't exclusively do film or TV and they're not freelancers, they are entrepreneurs. They tour, do shows for schools, etc. It's a lot of hard work, but with enough patience, creativity and determination I think anyone can. It's just hard.

If you look at the background of most well known puppeteers like Ronnie Burkett, Steve Whitmire, Carol Spinney, Rick Lyon, Kevin Clash and even Jim Henson you see that before they were making a good or great living full time doing what they are known for they spent years and sometimes decades doing the puppetry equivalent of grunt work - birthday parties, regional touring, low paying local TV gigs, etc. People who had success at a younger age just started doing puppetry earlier.

I think we often marvel at people who we see being really successful and take it for granted because we don't see all the years of hard work that went in to making them successful. Instant (or even quick) success is usually a myth. For anyone interested I have an article about it on my blog.

The most successful puppeteers seem to not sit at home waiting for their phone ring, they go out and make their own work.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
I think we often marvel at people who we see being really successful and take it for granted because we don't see all the years of hard work that went in to making them successful. Instant (or even quick) success is usually a myth.
Yup, we only see the people who have made it. But they got to where they are today through determination and a large amount of luck. What we don't see are the huge amounts of people who are just as talented and determined but never reach the top. It's really not normal for people in the performing arts to make so much money. Most struggle for years and most never become rich and famous, never mind have steady jobs.

Of course, that doesn't mean they should stop trying all together. And at least they get some opportunity to do what they love. And I agree with Buck Beaver, if you're a freelancer, you make your own work. :smile:

And with TV shows and movies, it's mainly the big stars who get paid so much. Their co-stars don't always get to move into the mansion.

MGov

Reaction score
One can easily make a good living in the performing arts
Obviously, you haven't tried yet.

It's been a long time since I heard this, but I'm pretty sure I'm remembering it right:

90% of all the money made by actors and actresses is made by 5% of the actors and actresses.