What does the future hold for the Muppets??

Kaiser Gonzo

Reaction score
Can the muppets continue, is there still a chance that our favourite group of felty friends can wow audiences make hit movies and tv shows.
Its safe to say the muppets once ruled the entertainment world. The Muppet Show was one of the biggest shows of the 70's and Muppet movie, muppet caper & muppets take manhatten were hits and are classic examples of the muppets in their prime. but can they continue, now everyone has their own opinion i think the first three muppet movies were fantastic, christmas carol and treasure island were good, but muppets in space, kermits swamp years, a very merry muppet christmas and muppet wizard of oz were pretty much a low standard for the muppets.
With loss of Jerry Juhl, Richard Hunt, jim and the retirement of Jerry Nelson and with Frank leaving can the muppets survive on the shoulders on just a few original muppet guys i.e Dave goelz and Steve Whitmare
Should the muppets give it in now or strive to continue.

BEAR

Reaction score
I think they should continue. They're just at a low point right now, but they'll be up again. It will never be exactly what it was like 20 years ago, but now that they have Eric Jacobson and Bill Baretta on the team, they can do great things.

Tim

Reaction score
The heart and sould of the Company are dead or retired, so the best days are over. The Muppets are sliding into nostalgia before our eyes, instead of being the "hot hip in thing" anymore. Like Hanna-Barbara, for example, they will exist as long as there is a buck to made off them, no matter who owns or controls the Company, but without the guiding force, forward visionary thinking, and sheer genius, the great days are long over. They have now become a licensing company that does just enough televison and film work to sell more DVDs and plush.

It's getting harder and harder to be interested in anything they do, and except for Sesame Street kinds don't know them. How many times can Kermit/Steve keep talking about his on again off again relationship with Piggy/whoever while he's promoting another lame book or film? It's "cute", but there is more and more of a downward "who cares" attitude slide happening from the audience and the industry. They are nearly always "comedy relief" to other established stars, something they outgrew when The Muppet Show hit. If this keeps up, we can pretty much ring the death nell for the characters and the kids are putting more and more nails in the coffin-the latest with this "adult" crap.

If things don't change in the next year or so, it might be time to put the dollies back in the trunk for a while.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Uh let's say oull the muppets back in the trunk for a while.

For pete sakes!

BEAR

Reaction score
You must admit that the new book, Before You Leap, is far from "lame" though. It's a great read for any true Muppet fan. I especially love how it gets deeper into the relationship between Kermit and Fozzie. It gave me goosebumps when Kermit labelled Fozzie the "heart of the Muppets" because I agree completely.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Personally, I see nothing wrong with the Muppets being nostalgia at this point, and wish the company would get more involved in that direction. People like nostalgia, they like passing it on to their children, it doesn't mean they're finished.

I just doubt they'll ever be as good as they used to be. It's not anyone's fault; when something is classic, it can't be easily repeated. I don't care if they never become "popular" again, as long as they're actually the Muppets, and not a shadow of themselves.

The book does sound interesting, maybe I'll try to find it. :smile:

Teheheman

Reaction score
I think that they should pick up on this nostalgic trend. Things that were popular in the 70's and 80's are making a comeback, and thanks to things like the internet, and writers/creators of TV shows, that were born in that time period(Family Guy, Robot Chicken, etc)bringing these characters back to TV in off the wall situations. The thing that the Muppets need is to get back to what made them famous in the first place. First, the variety show premise, then, who knows. But first, they should just take a break for a year or so, make sure that they have something solid in place as far as writing scripts or screen plays. Make sure they get the comic timing right for all the characters(you know, practice makes perfect, or get new people if you need to) and then, let er rip. But, then again, what do I know?

Daniel

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Teheheman said:
I think that they should pick up on this nostalgic trend. Things that were popular in the 70's and 80's are making a comeback, and thanks to things like the internet, and writers/creators of TV shows, that were born in that time period(Family Guy, Robot Chicken, etc)bringing these characters back to TV in off the wall situations. The thing that the Muppets need is to get back to what made them famous in the first place.
I totally agree! Trying to be hip and different has gotten them nowhere. And nostalgia is big right now. I mean, VH1 has done how many "I Luv the 70s/80s/90s" specials???

I think it says a lot that one of the few ways to see the classic Muppets nowadays, is through the eyes of original fans, like with Family Guy and Robot Chicken.

Teheheman

Reaction score
and that's not a bad thing when you talk about seeing them through the eyes of those guys, because it shows you the appeal that those shows had, and the impact that these characters had on the young fans, and it's cool to see things like this because it makes the characters appeal to a whole new fan base. Oh and they have had 2 of the 70's, and at least one 90's. They did have 3 80's specials

Daniel

Super Scooter

Reaction score
On the subject of nostalgia versus hip, let's consider two recent "projects" (actually commercials)...

Which of the following would you consider memorable?

A: The Ford Hybrid commercial featuring Kermit the Frog singing "Bein' Green"

B: The Pizza Hut commercial featuring a larger cast of Muppets with Jessica Simpson

Personally, I'd rather watch the Ford Hybrid commercial. I think you've found a very good point with this nostalgia thing. (then again, I wouldn't exactly call the Pizza Hut commercial "hip")

Funny enough, out of everything the Muppets have done recently for television(within the last seven years), this is my favorite: Bandanana

I believe it was done for New Zeland... Oh, and I do apologize for adding so many links to the post, but I thought it might make the point. The Muppets could make a great, and most likely very popular return with this nostalgic approach. One of the many themes the Muppets have always emphasized is the importance of being yourself, not trying to be something you're not. What do you think "Bein' Green" is all about? It would like to see the Muppets take their own advice in this regard.