What happened to Guy Smiley?

GregtheBunny

Reaction score
He's been missing from sesame street for the longest and the only clip i have of him is his brief stanza in "Do de rubber duck". Since Guy shares a voice with Kermit and Ernie, I would assume either Steve Whitmire or Bill Barretta would perform him after Jim's death. Can anyone tell me if Guy has appeared in a non-rerun of Sesame Street?

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Welcome, GregtheBunny!

As far as I know, Guy hasn't been replaced yet. During his later years, Jim Henson had stated how hard it was to do the character. It was a terrible strain on the voice, screaming and acting very hyperactive like that. That could have something to do with it. Or, they could have just decided not to bring him back yet. But, no, no new skits have been made with him. They do, however, occasionally repeat old skits on new Sesame Street episodes.

ssetta

Reaction score
I never thought of that. But once again, kids don't like those old characters anymore. They're too complicated, and outdated. And also, they don't really like to have all those minor characters, they like to stick with the main ones.

VC2020

Reaction score
and you're saying Elmo's an effin main one? Elmo is cute on the street but I hate him on Elmo's World he Annoys me...I think Mr. Barretta can pull of Guy's voice.

CookieFan

Reaction score
Do they still have "Guy Smiley" type game show hosts on real game shows? He may just be outdated in that sense. I don't think game shows of that sort are as popular as they used to be. Today, I think "game show host" and it's Alex Trebek or Pat Sajak.

As much as I like the minor characters, I'm glad they cut back a bit. Watching Season 25 reruns, I realized how confusing it was having so many characters. You don't get a chance to develop an attachment to the characters if they keep showing so many of them and not very often!

But, I don't think that they are focusing exclusively on the "new" characters (Elmo, Zoe, Rosita, Baby Bear, even Telly, etc.). Cookie & Grover & Bert and Ernie & Big Bird & Snuffy get plenty of exposure and plot lines "On the Street".

And Cookie is my 21 month old's fave character, just like mommy!

GregtheBunny

Reaction score
Oh.
I also want to know if the Purple construction Worker (forgot his name ever appeared in Recent Sesame skits. Like Guy smiley, The only clip i have of him is his stanza in Do de Rubber Duck. I have no info about him except he is performed by Jerry Nelson.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by GregtheBunny
Oh.
I also want to know if the Purple construction Worker (forgot his name ever appeared in Recent Sesame skits. Like Guy smiley, The only clip i have of him is his stanza in Do de Rubber Duck. I have no info about him except he is performed by Jerry Nelson.
That wouldst be Biff

http://www.angelfire.com/super2/sesameak/SesameB/Biff.html

His Partner was Sully (sorry... we didn't get him yet!)

He was reprised a while back in the 90's with his niece Roxie Marie...

salemfan

Reaction score
I think I saw Guy Smiley in Season 32

I think I might have seen Guy Smiley as a silent cameo in a Season 32(2001)episode of Sesame Street in which Maria has a lot of toaster repairs. However, I don't know who was performing him.