What happened to Guy Smiley?

salemfan

Reaction score
Why Guy maybe hasn't been replaced

Well, maybe they haven't had need yet for Guy Smiley. I think the only reason Kermit got replaced by Steve Whitmire was because he was being used as news reporter in the, "Slimey in Space" episodes which were made in 1998. So maybe if they do an episode in which the prime focus is a game show, then they would give Guy a new Muppeteer.

salemfan

Reaction score
I saw Sonny Friendly on episode 3911

Sonny Friendly was on episode 3911(Season 31) in which Prairie Dawn comes to a birdketeer meeting, and Sonny Friendly comes to host one of the games, "What's Prairie's Problem?" in which everybody has to guess what Prairie's problem is-and Prairie wins with the answer, "The silly game show is my problem!"

muppet maniac

Reaction score
But, I don't think that they are focusing exclusively on the "new" characters (Elmo, Zoe, Rosita, Baby Bear, even Telly, etc.). Cookie & Grover & Bert and Ernie & Big Bird & Snuffy get plenty of exposure and plot lines "On the Street".
Of course you add Oscar and that's about it.
I'm not sure if Telly counts as a new character or not.Or actually,when did Telly first debut on the show?

salemfan

Reaction score
Dantecat said:
It might have been Steve Whitmire.
Dantecat, what makes you say that when Guy wasn't even talking when I saw him in the episode?

Dantecat

Reaction score
Well,I think he was performed by Steve Whitmire Because When Jim Henson used to play him before he died,Steve Whitmire only performed Kermit and Ernie only Because he never did play any other muppets that Jim Henson Performed.That's aii I can think of! :stick_out_tongue:

salemfan

Reaction score
You mean that when a Muppeteer gets replaced, usually it's all to one group of the previous person's characters(ie Steve Whitmire to Jim Henson or David Rudman to Richard Hunt), even when the Muppet character does not talk?

Oh, I also forgot to say that when I saw Guy Smiley in the 2001 episode, he was in the main street segment-dressed the same as usual.

salemfan

Reaction score
if they want to have him pop up sometimes in the background without speaking
That's what I said they did to Guy Smiley in 2001. But he was being shown as one of Maria's customers.

salemfan

Reaction score
Oh yes. In 2000, on the Internet, Guy Smiley was being used as the presentor of the "Golden Grover Awards." But nobody was performing him because he did not talk, and there was no puppetry involved.