What happened to Shurlock Hemlock?

SesameStreetFan

Reaction score
To answer a few of your questions. I do recall seeing Sherlock on Sesame Street once in the mid 80's. He was helping Big Bird solve a mystery about what happened to a stack of papers he had piled up. Big Bird eventually found out the wind had blown his papers all away. As far as other sketches Sherlock appeared in other than the ones with Ernie and the ones you mentioned, there was short a skit he appeared with, with Bert and John John, and John John counted to 10. There was another oldie he appeared in with Prarie Dawn where he tried solving the mystery of what happend at the Twiddle Bug's Birthday. There was even a storybook about it.

Cookie fan

Reaction score
:big_grin:
SesameStreetFan said:
To answer a few of your questions. I do recall seeing Sherlock on Sesame Street once in the mid 80's. He was helping Big Bird solve a mystery about what happened to a stack of papers he had piled up. Big Bird eventually found out the wind had blown his papers all away. As far as other sketches Sherlock appeared in other than the ones with Ernie and the ones you mentioned, there was short a skit he appeared with, with Bert and John John, and John John counted to 10. There was another oldie he appeared in with Prarie Dawn where he tried solving the mystery of what happend at the Twiddle Bug's Birthday. There was even a storybook about it.
Very Interesting...Probably his last appearances on Sesame Street? Maybe?

SesameStreetFan

Reaction score
No, Sherlock's last appearance on Sesame Street was in the 1995-1996 Season. He was talking to Bob about the letter X, and he mentioned he once met the letter X, on a game show with Cookie Monster and Don Music back in the late 70's. (Yes he actually said that) then a flashback was shown with that old Guy Smiley Game Show Mystery Letter. This was in fact the last time Sherlock was seen on the show, in anything new. I thought it was good though how he remained a recurring charachter during the first half of the 90's.

Cookie fan

Reaction score
Wow, Thanks...I never knew that he made such an appearance so recently. Assuming that Jerry Nelson did his voice, it would have been the genuine thing so to speak. Its funny that he said he met the letter X in the 70's. Great Trivia...thanks again.

Drtooth

Reaction score
SesameStreetFan said:
I have to disagree with you. I think all Sesame Street charachters could be timeless if the writers put their minds to it. Why do you think wev'e had charachters like Grover, Cookie Monster, and Ernie and Bert who are still going strong after 37 years. I think if you shake things up a little with a charachter you can break away from the whole routine thing. A few examples
The same can't be said for all characters. I feel certain characters die due to lack of material (I.e. part of the reason Harvey Kneeslapper was retired was they had no more material, also Frank got sick of him), Alice Snuffelupagus is little more than Sunnfy's little sister... I feel the same is happening with Curley Bear, and Mary Lou... of course that might have also been because more people liked Prairie. Sometimes there's a lack of material, sometimes there isn't... but the points are all valid.

Do I think Sherlock could work if someone else were to perform him in Jerry's stead... yes, theoretically... but it's not the same. I feel they could write more Sherlock skits. But certain ones aren't used do to lack of interrest on the part of performers and writers.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
WEll that's just your opinion and I think common sense will tell you that if a few characters can last as long as ones like E&B than there's no reason why other can as well. I also don't think they're gonna discontinue a character simpley because 1 of the muppetteers are tired of performing them. Now I thought it has been mentioned before many get retired because they're no longer popualer with the audience.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I just found out that the Old School set will include the first five season premiers, and I know that Sherlock Hemlock first appeared in the second season premier, so I guess that menas that he will be on the set (unless his sketch is cut from the episode on DVD).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
Why would they cut him from the DVD's?
I don't think he will be cut, I don't see any reason for his sketch to be cut, but you never know (Ten Tiny Turtles was cut from the video and DVD release of The Street We Live On, even though that had previously been released on the Sing Yourself Silly video, and that video was later released on DVD, apparantly uncut). I've read that Sesame Workshop had to work out a lot of legalties for this set. Maybe Sherlock's first sketch was written or directed by somebody whose work hasn't been released on DVD. Or maybe we should just hope, pray, and assume that the episodes will all be uncut (one member of this forum already has a copy, but he hasn't said too much about the set that we don't already know yet).