What Movie are you Currently Watching?

anytimepally

Reaction score
El Laberinto Del Fauno.. thought it was good for the Halloweeny mood I'm in

Bubba Ho-Tep next! :excited:

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
Another brilliant film! I just got it on DVD in the Shakespeare box set. I saw this film in the theater, and it was truly amazing on the big screen. And yes, there was an intermission for about 10 minutes right after Hamlet's "How all occasions do inform against me" speech, which is the end of the first disc. Honestly, this movie never seemed long to me. The four hours go by in a heartbeat. Funny how cut Shakespearean plays seem longer than if they're performed uncut. Branagh definitely keeps things moving at a brisk pace.

The audio commentary with Branagh and his friend, a Shakespearean scholar, is one of the best commentaries I've heard in a while. It's full of facts about the movie, the play, the performances (Julie Christie never did Shakespeare before? Could have fooled me!), and there is a lot of joking and good-humored ribbing throughout the entire film.

This is by far my favorite Shakespeare film adaptation, with Zifferelli's 1968 Romeo & Juliet second, Olivier's Richard III at third, Branagh's Henry V at four and Max Reinhardt's A Midsummer Night's Dream in the fifth spot.

Kenneth Branagh just directed a wonderful adaptation of As You Like It, set in 19th-century Japan. It stars Bryce Dallas Howard (who is quite good), Kevin Kline, Alfred Molina, Brian Blessed and Richard Briers. It's airing all month on HBO, and will be available on DVD later this month.
I love Bramlet, as I call it. It's everything a film adaptation of Shakespeare should be, with scenes and settings that take full advantage of the medium. In particular I'm thinking of the two-way mirror scene with Hamlet, Ophelia, Polonius, and Claudius. Wonderful stuff! The "I am Hamlet, the Dane!" scene gives me goosebumps, too.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
Yeah, watching that gives me chills, in a good way.

Since we're doing this... my top five Shakespeare films.

1. Chimes at Midnight
2. Looking for Richard
3. Hamlet (1996)
4. Prospero's Books
5. Throne of Blood

Telly

Reaction score
I watched Hedwig and the Angry Inch last night for the first time. I liked it, but.....Yikes!

anytimepally

Reaction score
I know it's not a movie, but I saw Empire Falls for the first time last night.. wow was Paul Newman awesome! ... no wonder he won the Emmy, Golden Globe, and SAG awards that year.. oh, and the rest of the cast was great as well.. if you haven't seen it and like good acting, check it out :smile: