What sketches scared you as a kid?

little jerry

Reaction score
A new scary skit

Hi I just saw something in the past week that scared me It was on a sesame two on noggin I belive it was an old cartoon it had this elevator man couting the floors and he stoped at each floor the last floor had a giant gorilla got on the elevator and the elevator shook and it crashed and zoomed down with the elevator guy hanginging on while it crashed woah

Censored

Reaction score
Here are some skits that disturbed me:

A street scenario where a witch magically puts a big nose on Oscar. This episode upset me so much as a child that I couldn't even finish it.

A wedding where the bride and groom take so long to get married, they become older in each scene. By the time they finally get married, they are both very old and hobble away. Ironically, the ones getting married were David and Maria, but the skit was apocryphal and had no connection to the true Sesame Street saga. I heard that this age progression joke was done in another David and Maria skit that took place on a desert island. For some reason, I never liked this gag.

Early episodes with the Count Von Count. It took me a while to warm up to this scary vampire who burst onto my peaceful Sesame Street scene. Also, he was a bit more frightening in the beginning. He's one of my favorites now.

SarahHIYE

Reaction score
Okay, you all might think this is really REALLY stupid, but you know the SS 20th anniversary special? At least, I think it was the 20th... the one hosted by Bill Cosby. Well, anyway, there was this one part where they're flashing to different frames and at the end they flash on Big Bird and he's got his beak open really wide and he's really REALLY close to the camera and looking right in. Well, the first time I saw that I screamed. I just thought that he looked so evil in that frame. I don't know. I loved Big Bird just like any other kid, but to this day I can't watch that special--that's why I might be a little fuzzy on the details. But still, yeah, that was probably the scariest SS moment for me.

Oh (in the Muppet Show) when I was little I used to get scared by that dragon thing that Sccoter fought while reciting that poem... I forget what it was called even though I know I read that poem in school at one point... Well, it was during the Brooke Shields/Alice in Wonderland ep. Scared me silly--I think I had nightmares. Ah well, I still watched it again, didn't I?

billyk

Reaction score
This skit I was scared of the most:

Ernie & Bert were at the movies. The premise is Ernie responding to the movie in different emotions (1st it is a scary movie, then a sad movie, then it ends as a happy movie).

Now the premise was not what scared me. It was Guy Smiley sitting behind Ernie gawking at the camera that freaked me out!! There's one point near the beginning of the skit where he had his mouth open a little. Then later in the skit he says "Do You Mind??" to Bert in a different tone than Guy Smiley (Richard Hunt does his best imitating Frank Oz's Prince Charming voice I think).

Whoever it was performing the voice, I think it was 'cause I was used to Jim's "Guy Smiley" voice and it shocked me to hear it in a different way and made me scared.

Another skit w/ Guy Smiley/Prince Charming muppet that scared me was "SS Newsflash" where Kermit covers the Sleeping Beauty story. Prince Charming the way he goes nearer and nearer to the camera I thought he was going to go after me!

It's funny though, the "Guy Smiley" game shows never bothered me that much. Just those 2 skits. And when PC was "courting" Rapunzel, I thought it was hilarious the way he was so rude to her.

Its funny how today when I watch those above sketches, I laugh at them and think "what was I so afraid of?"

A couple more I was afraid of:

- when 2 workmen (Bob & Louis I think) were trying to put the railroad tracks/tunnel together (2 billboards with each piece of the tunnel). When they do a train goes coming through it and it goes toward the camera! That scared me.

- Another poster mentioned this earlier. In the Golden An sketch when Lefty was going over the plan by himself, and a policeman goes into the alley in the distance. He looked creepy to me. And then when he takes Lefty away, he goes toward the camera really close. Despite that part, it was a great sketch.

It seems my fear was things coming toward the camera. But it's also the character as well. I think I didn't like GS/PC because of the diff. voice and also his facial features. I don't remember too well the other muppet (the cop) in the Golden An sketch.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
SarahHIYE said:
Oh (in the Muppet Show) when I was little I used to get scared by that dragon thing that Sccoter fought while reciting that poem... I forget what it was called even though I know I read that poem in school at one point... Well, it was during the Brooke Shields/Alice in Wonderland ep. Scared me silly--I think I had nightmares. Ah well, I still watched it again, didn't I?
JABBERWOCKY! :crazy: :wink:

mikealan

Reaction score
The animated sketch from SS that used to scare me in my youth was Splasho the Diver. I think I remember seeing that in the late 80's episodes and on the Season 25 shows. The part that scared me was where Splasho yelled "BEFORE!" to the cleaner. I'm dying to see it so it won't be scary anymore!!!

The Typewriter Guy U-Umbrella used to scare me when I was a little kid. Now, when I watched a Sesame Street Re-paved episode from 2000 on Noggin where Big Bird and Snuffy having a rainy day picnic, it was not scary anymore! :big_grin:

A newly animated sketch from the late 80's that scared me was where a purple cat tries to sleep as the kid's voice writes the incomplete sentence "My cat is..." in first-grade writing and in improper language. The scene that scared me the most was when the sentence was "My cat iz", the cat uses its orange tongue to erase it!!! :eek: I used to run away from that in my youth. Now, as I watched a Sesame Street Re-paved episode from 2000 on Noggin where Elizabeth is looking for pet cat, Little Murray Sparkles, it didn't scare me!

Also, in my youth, I used to get scared of the sketch where Telly forms any different scary animal costumes. I think he uses his imagination to do it. I remember watching that on one of the late 80's episodes that was never on Unpaved.

Watch out! I'm getting ready to trade the copy of #162 and two TEC's with grobmeck so I can get #406 and #2558, but...#406 has featured the debut of one of the unusual muppets I've seen in early november of 2002. It was Sam the Robot! And, beware on #2558, because there was one of the most scariest letter segments of all time, so cover your face with your pillow, so you won't see it...it was the live-action segment with the red-hot steel 'I'! It played scary trumpet-and-piano music in the background and I believe that the 'I' was going to come through the TV and would burn you...I'm dying to see it, but in my youth, it scared me so much.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
mikealan said:
Watch out! I'm getting ready to trade the copy of #162 and two TEC's with grobmeck so I can get #406 and #2558
Mikealan,

Please contact me about trading next. I have almost the ENTIRE Unpaved series and then some; you won't be disappointed. :smile:

SillyJoeBob

Reaction score
This sounds kinda weird...

little jerry said:
Hi I just saw something in the past week that scared me It was on a sesame two on noggin I belive it was an old cartoon it had this elevator man couting the floors and he stoped at each floor the last floor had a giant gorilla got on the elevator and the elevator shook and it crashed and zoomed down with the elevator guy hanginging on while it crashed woah
little jerry,

How would you compare this on a "scariness" level to "40 Dots"? I look forward to reading your answer to this!

SillyJoeBob

SillyJoeBob

Reaction score
The Count was "frightening" to you?!

In what ways was the Count "frightening" in early episodes? I look forward to hearing why it is you think this!

SillyJoeBob

Mister Fred

Reaction score
I hated that Willy Wimple , arch polluter. As an all time favorite of Oscar the Grouch, I can not stand pollution at all! I would love to give that Willy Wimple, arch polluter A SPANKING WITH THE BELT!
Being I always wanted to be a trashman when I was a kid (Yes my chore was taking out the trash each week; I even helped the garbage man when he came each Wendensday) I was MAD at that Willy Wimple, arch polluter. Then I just reached for the TV button and SHUT IT OFF! I was some what scared of the sketch with Lefty (the secret knock) and those two guys stealing the golden AN. But I really got to like those two, I think they are really good. My mom would watch sesame street with me alot and we'd get alot of laugh's out of things that might be scary like the secret knock and cookie monster in the library(the man yells at him). As well as cookie monster eating things you don't really eat. We also liked the counting segment where the baker falls down the stairs at the end. My mom also liked to sing along with some of the songs; her favorite was the pockets song and she sang along whenever it was on. Did any of you have moms that watched sesame street with you and have fun? It's part of being a good parent.