What sketches scared you as a kid?

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I have a few more to add to my collection:

1) I have seen this blue puppet playing a piano from time to time, the way he played that piano was - well, ridiculous. The keys would be falling off, and by the time he got through with a song of his, he would tear his piano in two! Not a pretty sight, that's for sure!

I'll think of more,
squirrelboy
Lol,Little Chrissy,(that's his name),was halarious when he was active one Sesame Street.God I miss that muppet and Christopher Cerf writing songs for Sesame Street.:frown:.

P.S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55BTP70zNDE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZIC0CTw4WQ&mode=related&search

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cze1_cWdF5s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvaAb9g7Go

Hope that doesn't make you scared of him anymore!

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I have a few more to add to my collection:

3) Finally, Guy Smiley's safari, the way Guy Smiley yells everything thus scaring the animals away was more intimitading than anything. I was sure Guy was going to get killed, so I always changed the channel and ran out of the room in fear.

I'll think of more,
squirrelboy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7m4whqRCJE

There you go!

squirrelboy

Reaction score
I got another scary one,

This is the sketch on "Y" is for yak. When I saw this one years ago, I thought it was interesting to see a yak doing a cartoon on the letter Y, doing words such as "Yak, You, Yes". At least that's until I saw the ending of this one where the narrator says to the yak that you are a "yakkity yakkity, yak", which ticked off the yak and caused him to charge at the camera. The blood-shot eyes of the yak was what really gave me quite the scare. That really freaked me out.

Now when I see that same sketch on youtube, it doesn't scare me anymore.

squirrelboy

Nyperold

Reaction score
This was the very first MC thread I posted in back in 2002. A lot of members recalled the sketches in the long list I had. Just wondering if they ring a bell for anyone else now:

Ok...The first one I can remember is when Ernie is singing about bugs. This caterpillar inches by making a sound like "didle didle didle didle" (by the way, caterpillars dont' make sounds!!!) It was black and creepy. That terrified me! It didn't help me with my fear of bugs years later! Hehe
Who Are the Insects In Your Neighborhood?

There was this shark that would sing and they'd get a close up of it's mouth...my cousin has a video of me talking about that saying "A shark scared me but it was only make believe (My Mom drilled that into my head!)
Man, I can see the shark, even! But I can't remember what he sang...

There was a claymation bit (me and claymation didn't get along!)
Where there was a LIVING CHAIR with a suit and glasses and a tie. He'd inch along when he walked. He was huming to himself as he left the room. Then he'd bump into the door because he had no arms and he'd say "Oh excuse me" and walk out. I think it was the logical sense part of my brain saying "But this can't happen!!!"
"Ahhhh, my glasses!"

Then there was this really strange, incomprehensible cartoon with this human with a huge beak type mouth trying to push an elephant through a door. This little girl walked by. The guy said in a wierd voice "can you help me?" and the girl said "no".
Then the elephant got pushed in somehow and the guy sort of got deflated and flew in. I have no idea what that was about and no idea why it bugged me!
No, he first asked "Can you help me push?", and she said "Noooo..." and after he struggles a bit more, then he asks, "Can you help me?" and she manages it by pulling the plug on the elephant, sending it inside by the power of air pressure. Then he gets inside the same way.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
All correct! Yes it was The Insects In Your Neighborhood. I have it on DVD now and it doesn't bother me so much. The insects are obviously not real! Lol The shark was singing about his "pearly white teeth." I've seen the sketch recently and it doesn't bother me now either.

HOWEVER, I recently saw a screengrab of that stupid cartoon and I know it would still bother me! Lol The same with the claymation chair, I just don't like Claymation!

fairyraingirl

Reaction score
Out of any scketches I can rememeber, the Egyptian Ernie dancing with Ernie and Bert didn't believe him. I remember crying when seeing this one. The music at the beginning of the scketch is creepy. Thinking about this creeps me out!

Also the Alphabet Chat guy scared me. And Don Music thrashing around his piano. Thank you god for getting rid of him!

JLG

Reaction score
About that bizarro "beak man" cartoon---

No, he first asked "Can you help me push?", and she said "Noooo..." and after he struggles a bit more, then he asks, "Can you help me?" and she manages it by pulling the plug on the elephant, sending it inside by the power of air pressure. Then he gets inside the same way.[/quote]

I don't remember him saying the word "push" either, but he definitely said "Can you...help..me?" in a weird, broken way. And yeah, the eerily expressionless little girl goes "Nooo..." It's creepy the way she just stands there staring at him, then just walks over and pulls the "plug". (Cold little wretch!:stick_out_tongue: )
And it's creepy how the man has this odd beak-like mouth and it's just supposed to be taken for granted. And those cold, washed-out colors are creepy. And that dark doorway is creepy. And that eyeless little girl is creepy.

Okay, the whole thing is creepy.
I would definitely nominate it for a spot in a Top 50 List of Weirdest Sesame Street Films. (and that's saying something! :rolleyes: )

Thanks to both of you for remembering this, too! The eyelessness of that little girl so intrigued me as a kid that I created my own eyeless little cartoon girl modeled after her. I haven't seen the film in years but I suppose maybe it was just low contrast that kept us from seeing her very small eyes on screen very well, but the overall effect of eyelessness remains in my mind.

fozziefan

Reaction score
After watching the "Old School" DVDs, other scary memories have come to mind.

1) Actually, I'd never seen this sketch until I watched the Old School DVDs which is a good thing cuz it would have scared me to death as a kid. I still found it pretty disturbing as an adult. Anyhow, an AM is sitting at a desk and there's a knock at his office door. The door opens and in walks a set of teeth (voiced by Jim Henson). It turns out the teeth are looking for a job and the AM asks him if he can do certain things which other body parts can do. He says he can't but that there's one thing he can do that the others can't. The AM asks him about it and the teeth proceed to chase him around the office trying to bite him. The desk and the entire office are destroyed in the process. Again, I'm very glad I only saw this for the first time as an adult because I'd have been scarred for life otherwise!

2) This animated bit is from when I was little and I don't think anyone else has mentioned it. A man is standing behind a table and he has a toaster and some slices of bread. He shows us how the two pieces of bread look the same. Then he puts one slice in the toaster. When it pops up he takes it out and compares it to the other saying that now it's different and the sketch ends (and this was the scary part) with him shouting that it's also "VERY HOT!!!!!" Not sure why this scared me so much but it just did.

3) Captain Breakfast used to REALLY freak me out. Thankfully he only was in one sketch that I know of so I didn't have to worry about seeing him very often. I think the reason he scared me so much was because he looked alot like Guy Smiley but with brown hair and something about Guy and the other "human" muppets like him always frightened me.

Am I the only one to have been terrorized by these sketches?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
JLG said:
About that bizarro "beak man" cartoon---

Okay, the whole thing is creepy.
I would definitely nominate it for a spot in a Top 50 List of Weirdest Sesame Street Films. (and that's saying something! :rolleyes: )
Absolutely! I used to cover my face or run out of the room if that thing came on! It was a combination of things, how weird that guy looked and how that girl wasn't helping him at all. Then when the elephant deflated and flew into the door along with the guy, I thought the guy had gotten deflated too, so that really creeped me out! And the girl just seemed to stand there smiling!

And what was the point of it all??!! What were we supposed to learn from this? Don't trust creepy little eyeless girls who won't help you push your elephant through the door?

Nyperold

Reaction score
Well, I don't remember the first, but I do remember the other two. They didn't scare me, but...

2) This animated bit is from when I was little and I don't think anyone else has mentioned it. A man is standing behind a table and he has a toaster and some slices of bread. He shows us how the two pieces of bread look the same. Then he puts one slice in the toaster. When it pops up he takes it out and compares it to the other saying that now it's different and the sketch ends (and this was the scary part) with him shouting that it's also "VERY HOT!!!!!" Not sure why this scared me so much but it just did.

3) Captain Breakfast used to REALLY freak me out. Thankfully he only was in one sketch that I know of so I didn't have to worry about seeing him very often. I think the reason he scared me so much was because he looked alot like Guy Smiley but with brown hair and something about Guy and the other "human" muppets like him always frightened me.

Am I the only one to have been terrorized by these sketches?
The really odd thing about Capt. B is that he's so into the importance of breakfast that he doesn't realize when it's about noon. By then, I would guess that he should either be working on breakfast-promotion methods, or heading west so he's promoting it in the right time zone. Or working at an IHOP. Or maybe even taking the rest of the day off. Here, Captain Breakfast. Have a watch.