1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

What type of animal are Fraggles really?

Discussion in 'Fraggle Rock' started by Redsonga, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Has anyone even seen a Fraggle parents or child? (I've not seen all the series, so I'm not sure) Maybe they grow, like sponges. Or maybe they are composed of hundreds and hundreds of magic-dust-like creatures composing together to form a fully grown creature, like those light-giving bugs in "The Day the Music Died". I think maybe we should open our minds a little more to even more options in the Fraggle world. After all, Marjory was never born...I'm assuming.

Perhaps the Fraggles are born from beautiful flute music, bursting into the air like bubbles the drying out...Or grow underground like Radishes.
  2. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

In the opening theme song and sometimes in early group shots, you can see Fraggle mothers and infants. You also see Fraggles running around that are clearly way younger than even Wembley and Tosh. The "light-giving bugs" are Ditzies. They weren't so much bugs as just specks of light, though that could just be because they used the tips of a fiber optic-equipped flashlight (like you might get at a carnival or something) to portray them.

Also, Marjory sings about her mother during one song and mentions an uncle. She springs to life primarily when Philo and Gunge find her, though we don't really hear her side of the story, just the rats', who might only be assuming their presence is what made her "born".
  3. Beauregard

That's true...She has sung about being a little trashheap, and her mother giving *her* advice. I still like the idea that Fraggles may come to life through some kind of musical transformation.
  4. RedPiggy

I tend to believe, since the Muppetverse has "real" animals as well as Muppet ones, that all "muppets" began magically at some point. They may reproduce "normally" now, but I think, whatever the "first" muppets were, first gained sentience through magic, differentiating them from "normal" creatures.
  5. Beauregard

I'd love one day for all the main MC fanfic writer's to join together, debate the whole situation out and write some kind of full-history of the Muppets. To battle out questions like, why does the Real-dog talk in KSY, and why does Piggy have a pet dog that doesn't speak :p
  6. RedPiggy

*sniff* I went to all that trouble ... to do just that ... *sniff*
  7. Beauregard

Haha! Oh, I know you did, hon! But I think literally everyone has their own complete history in their head, but not the patience to make it fit into a story.
  8. RedPiggy

*sniff* Well, okay. :)

I agree. A thread SHOULD be created. What would it be called? "The origin of everything?" Where would it go?
  9. Beauregard

Muppet Worlds? Maybe? We should do it :p
  10. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Quoteth me from this very topic:

I don't think that is a good idea. The only way something like that would work is if everyone agreed on one way of viewing things, which would end in everyone else being seen as 'wrong'. After all, would we really want fanfic to be that limited? To squash the less popular or 'logical' ideas with that of the larger groups and/or the fanfic writers that have been around longer and have more 'pull'?
    I don't think anyone wants that, and in my eleven years of fanfic writing that is all I have ever seen those types of topics become, big trouble that hurts feelings (Harry Potter fandom, for one, is like this to the tenth power:o.)
    All and all I think we are much better all on our own fanfic writing islands, seeing canon as we want to and having total freedom with it without a right and wrong...I think that is how the characters would want it to :3.

If you want to make a topic with details of you version of the muppet world, no one is stopping anyone, I know I have one : ).
  11. Beauregard

True...I probably didn't think that through so well, R. Piggy...There does tend to be a lot of bullying within fanfic groupings. Still, I'd love to argue it out sometime...Which I suppose is what we're doing here!
  12. RedPiggy

I don't think Beau was asking for a collaboration. Rather a debate ... a conversation ... about the Muppetverse as a whole. It's just that we fanfic writers would most likely have come up with fleshed out answers since the "canon" only implies stuff.

I thought there had already been a thread like this, but here's a new one, anyway.

We don't have to agree. It's not like anything we come up with will be canon.
  13. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

It's just there is always a push to agree in those sort of topics even if it doesn't start that way, and and a lot of fighting and bowing to whoever is the favorite of the forum and...;.; Well, I'm staying away from it, I like my little topic just fine :)
  14. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

The Fraggles kinda look like small, flightless birds to me.
  15. SwordKing

SwordKing New Member

I think it's safe to assume Fraggles are herbivores. At least, I've never seen a Fraggle eat anything that was meat.
  16. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

They seem to still eat some version of milk and eggs from plants or plant like animals, so I've come to think what they eat was more fashioned by where they live more than anything :). Besides, it is hard to hunt little animals (or want to) if nearly all of them can talk to you o.o

Gobo : Okay little cocoming, you knew this was coming...
    Little fuzzy animal: Don't eat meeeee ;.;

IMHO Fraggles seem to be on the foodchain somewhere next to mice and birds by the way they live...

But then, if they are viewed like humans in history, they sort of give the feeling of hunter gatherers that just started to settle down but haven't started to farm for themselves...
  17. RedPiggy

I agree. They're at best on the border of agriculture. There's also no real environmental reason for them to grow their own stuff, as the Gorg's garden supplies tons of food.