What was your first muppet experience?

Gonzo

Reaction score
I'm a lifelong Muppet fan too--I was born in 1973 (I'm OLD) and so my first memories include some classic Sesame stuff and some Muppet Show as well.

I don't think it was until highschool that I REALLY turned hardcore though, and became fiercely pro-Muppet. It was about two years before Jim Henson's death, when The Jim Henson Hour came out, Storyteller, and some other great stuff.

And now I'm a freak.

The End.

Quinnnnnnnnn

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Originally posted by Gonzo

And now I'm a freak.

The End.

Quinnnnnnnnn
*gets defensive* THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING A FREAK! ok people stop staring!

i really think that this place is a home for freaks, and i rather like it here!

beaker

Reaction score
Oh my! This has to be one of my favorite threads in awhile! I Really wish everyone on MC would post their answer to this thread. Anyways, so cool hearing about everyone being fans from such early on.

I will admit though, my passion has waxed and waned periodicly. It happens...sometimes you just need that pick me up.^_^
(Though, when I say waxing and waning, ebbing and flowing...I mean on a chart of super insane hyped to beyond overzealous fananticism:wink: )

I credit one person though for my Muppet mania. My mom.
Im not sure how many peoples parents are into the Muppets, but like me the sight/sound/thought of the Muppets in any form(Sesame, TMS, Bear, etc) really makes my mom happy.

I think my mom has to be one of the biggest Muppet fans I know(heck her collection is starting to rival mine) Whats neat is she went down to Muppetfest with me, and she even got in for free.

So I am very very grateful. Now then, there are some parents on here with new kids into this world...so it is so neat to know a whole new generation is being raised on the coolest thing on the planet! The Muppets are like a protein pack od daily essential vitamins and minerals: Love, imagination, friendship, laughter,
and creativity.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
My first Muppet experience was the Muppet Show, I think. I had much more of an attachment to it than Sesame Street. It was just smarter writing with a bigger budget. I enjoyed both shows.

My first experience I actually remeber clearly was seeing the Muppet Movie in the theaters when I was 5 years old. That one experience set me on my life's journey as a creative person. I remeber everything about that day. Truly a magical film!

wockawocka

Reaction score
I've been one all my life, cause my sis was one, and we loved SS. But I also saw Follow That Bird and Muppets Take Manhatten and loved them!

camilla

Reaction score
I've been a muppet fan from when i ewas very very young. i remeber avidly watching the Muppet Show as a small child. My dad loved it o we all watched it. i do not remeber watching Seaseme street till later and can remember watching the first muppet babies one xmas

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4

My first experience I actually remeber clearly was seeing the Muppet Movie in the theaters when I was 5 years old. That one experience set me on my life's journey as a creative person. I remeber everything about that day. Truly a magical film!
YA got to see TMM in theatres? Lucky! Wait...how *old* Are you again:wink: I got to see a double feature of Never Ending Story with Muppets Take Manhattan...and my goodness, you cant get a better mid 80's double feature than that!(Unless you were to include Goonies, but then thatd be too much)

But yes, I remember seeing the Muppet movie on beta or something when I was little...number one thing I remembered about it(til Disney rereleased it in the 90's on vhs) besides the music was Animal's gigantic head scene! Wow that was surreal and amazing cool! But now days I can really appreciate the overall message of the Muppet movie...I still *HATE* those Mel Brookes evil German scientist scenes...but other than that its a masterpiece. I mean that scene where Kermit and fozzie are driving in an old beat up studebaker singing 'Movin Right Along', and meeting Big Big...man! Too cool.
(and the ending when all the Muppets ever at the time were on the big screen...they need to do that kind of crossover stuff again!)

anathema

Reaction score
Scarily enough, I'm just old enough to have seen TMS on its original UK broadcasts. To this day I still swear I saw them in colour, despite the fact that I *know* we didn't get a colour TV until well into the early 80s :smile:

I remember seeing TMM on TV, probably fifteen years ago now, and for some reason I came away with the confused idea that Doc Hopper actually wanted to eat Kermit (scared the cra-- er, pants off me at the time!). Saw MCC in the cinema (kiddie matinee complete with a break halfway through!) when it came out. Then I became a student and discovered cider, so my recollection of the next few years is slightly blurred... :big_grin:

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
My first Muppet experience was the Muppet Show, I think. I had much more of an attachment to it than Sesame Street. It was just smarter writing with a bigger budget. I enjoyed both shows.
Now Jamie, that's not rully fair...I mean, SS was written FOR kids, whereas TMS was clearly for adults. :wink: