Whatever happened to...

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
i was reading the Unpaved review and it said that it never really said "what happened" to Simon Soundman, it just said an example of what he says. what DID happen to him?

and it doesn't say what happened to Sam The Robot, it just says "if he was supposed to be a hit, he wasn't". why'd they get rid of him?

they also said that they didn't mention Rodeo Rosie or Deena Monster. What happened to Rodeo Rosie and who is Deena Monster?

here are some muppets they didn't include.

What happened to Herbert Birdsfoot?

Sherlock Hemlock?

Why havent they found a replacement for Gladys? why didn't they just use another cow?

what happened to Sonny Friendly, the book said he's now played by David Rudman. how often is he on? in fact, i forgot what Sonny sounds like!!! can someone tell me how he sounds, was that his voice on the beginning of Sing Yourself Sillier At The Movies?

What happened to Biff and Sully?

another question, according to Unpaved, Roosevelt Franklin is "little purple anything muppet" What other parts has he played?

and here's something that's kinda weird. on the Muppets And Their Celebrity Counterparts section, it shows Placido Flamingo, Meryl Sheep, and Polly Darton. It says above Meryl Sheep "Meryl Sheep", and it says above Polly "Polly Darton", but above Placido Flamingo it says "Placido DOMINGO"! ever noticed that?

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
Re: What Ever Happened To...

Originally posted by punkNpuppets
and here's something that's kinda weird. on the Muppets And Their Celebrity Counterparts section, it shows Placido Flamingo, Meryl Sheep, and Polly Darton. It says above Meryl Sheep "Meryl Sheep", and it says above Polly "Polly Darton", but above Placido Flamingo it says "Placido DOMINGO"! ever noticed that?
Probably a mistake. Placido Flamingo is a parody of Spanish opera singer Placido Domingo.

Joggy

Reaction score
Re: What Ever Happened To...

I think I might have a few answers:

"i was reading the Unpaved review and it said that it never really said "what happened" to Simon Soundman, it just said an example of what he says. what DID happen to him?"

I believe he's still used occasionally! Seen him in a few newer clips, but not too much.

"and it doesn't say what happened to Sam The Robot, it just says "if he was supposed to be a hit, he wasn't". why'd they get rid of him?"

I think the character just was too annoying and wasn't good enough a character to last. Seen one clip of him. I didn't like him.

"they also said that they didn't mention Rodeo Rosie or Deena Monster. What happened to Rodeo Rosie and who is Deena Monster?"

Rodeo Rosie, I dunno. Deena Monster was a purple monster with rolling eyes (like Cookie) and orange hair on top. She was Karen Prell's first character. She lived in a cave with an older monster (her nanny??) named Pearl, and they did Bert and Ernie-type of scenes around 1982. They were two of the "added in the '80s" characters that did not work too well and disappeared quickly.

"What happened to Herbert Birdsfoot?"

Herbert was added to the show when it was decided that Kermit, for some unknown reason, would leave SS in 1970. Herbert would give lectures instead of Kermit, but the old 69 clips of Kermit were still used. A year later Kermit returned with new material, making Herbert useless.

"Sherlock Hemlock?"

Sherlock appeared on the street and in Mystery Theatre in the 90's. Is he still seen?

"Why havent they found a replacement for Gladys? why didn't they just use another cow?"

Something we all wonder... She was even used in a new clip with Bert and Ernie and a lot of other cows.

"What happened to Biff and Sully?"

I have the feeling that for some strange reason Sully was abandoned after Richard's death - which is weird because anyone could have performed him! But maybe it's really a Jerry/Richard kinda thing, like Bert and Ernie was a Frank/Jim kinda thing, and they chose to quit.

"another question, according to Unpaved, Roosevelt Franklin is "little purple anything muppet" What other parts has he played?"

Roosevelt Franklin was a student at Roosevelt Franklin Elementary School. Many of his scenes took place in a classroom (starting with the Roosevelt Franklin Elementary School theme song) where he would give lectures to his classmates. Roosevelt was a cool blueslovin' Afro dude.

He also recorded an album which can be found on Ebay occasionally, with songs like "I Love The Skin I'm In" and "Just Because" about discrimination.

The purple Anything Muppet also played various little kid parts. For instance he was Betty Lou in the first episode.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

Probably a mistake. Placido Flamingo is a parody of Spanish opera singer Placido Domingo.
That's true. In fact, if you recall the "20 and still counting" TV special, they Domingo and Flamingo sang a duet of "Look Through My Window."

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
Re: Re: What Ever Happened To...

Originally posted by Joggy

I have the feeling that for some strange reason Sully was abandoned after Richard's death - which is weird because anyone could have performed him! But maybe it's really a Jerry/Richard kinda thing, like Bert and Ernie was a Frank/Jim kinda thing, and they chose to quit.
well...good point...but still ANYONE could have played him and Jerry should have thought about the children. those little smiley faces saying "Biff and Su-wee!"

i DID email sesame workshop, i havent gotten a reply yet. probably cause i emailed them from the Technical Difficulties section of the site. but it was the ONLY way!

mikealan

Reaction score
"Whatever happened to Harvey Kneeslapper?"

I know. It's because the laughing was too hard for Frank Oz's voice. I remember seeing him when I was a little kid. Partically, I discovered the E-Mail joke card in '99 and made comics with him in the year 2000. Today, I listened to the Ha Ha Song with Big Bird and Herry on Sesame Street Radio on sesamestreet.com and on Muppet Central Radio, and I saw him on two Sesame Street Unpaved episodes.

1) on #560 I saw on the Museum of Television and Radio- he plays the "X Marks the Spot" joke to Fat Blue.

2) on the Rainstorm episode- the classic Do you know where I wanna B? sketch. I DO have the pics of this sketch I finally saw it on SESAME STREET UNPAVED on NOGGIN.

"Whatever happened to Little Bird?"

I know why SS got rid of Little Bird. It's because nobody liked him. Do you agree?

"Whatever happened to Lefty the Salesman?"

SS got rid of Lefty, because SS producers think he is a drug dealer just like the surreal SS internet episode where Kermit and Big Bird are getting stoned!

"Whatever happened to Professor Hastings?"

I think the SSU book says that his voice was TOO dull.

"Whatever happened to Guy Smiley, Granny Fanny Nesselrode and Don Music?"

I think it's because both Jim Henson and Richard Hunt died.

"Whatever happened to the NOO-nee-NOO-nee-NOO Typewriter Guy?"

SS got rid of the nu-ne-nu typewriter cartoons, because nobody feels like using the typewriter anymore. I remembered seeing him on the Season 30 episode where he played jump-rope. It is the R-Rope segment.

"Whatever happened to the falling chef series?"

ssetta explains that the classic counting series would be bad, because the baker falling would be hurtful.

I've got a couple of questions so you will answer them.

"Whatever happened to the letters in sand segments?"

"Whatever happened to the number painter?"

"Whatever happened to the classic counting cartoon series with the race cars in the beginning and the spies at the end?"

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Originally posted by mikealan

I know. It's because the laughing was too hard for Frank Oz's voice...

I know why SS got rid of Little Bird. It's because nobody liked him. Do you agree?
Yeah, I never bought that whole "laughter bein' too hard" on Frank's voice thing. Just sounds like a cop-out to me. I mean, c'mon, it's MUCH harder to keep up the voices for Animal and Cookie Monster---after just a few lines, MY voice starts to hurt! And he says he can't laugh?! PLEASE! :rolleyes:

Sorry, just had to get that out. lol :big_grin:

And I liked Little Bird. :smile:

I mean, I like Little Emmy too, and Dayton, OH hasn't written her out...

ssetta

Reaction score

I know. It's because the laughing was too hard for Frank Oz's voice. I remember seeing him when I was a little kid. Partically, I discovered the E-Mail joke card in '99 and made comics with him in the year 2000. Today, I listened to the Ha Ha Song with Big Bird and Herry on Sesame Street Radio on sesamestreet.com and on Muppet Central Radio, and I saw him on two Sesame Street Unpaved episodes.
Not only that, but people didn't really like him all that well, because he was a 1-note joker, and all his skits were basically the same.

I do agree, but Little Bird is actually a HER.

"Whatever happened to Guy Smiley, Granny Fanny Nesselrode and Don Music?"

I think it's because both Jim Henson and Richard Hunt died.
That, and also, people thought that Don Music banging his head on the keys would be a bad influence.

"Whatever happened to the letters in sand segments?"
They probably just stopped using those because it's old technology, and people don't like that stuff anymore.

"Whatever happened to the number painter?"
Film gets dated more than animation and muppets. That, and remember how he would paint stuff on something that didn't belong to him, and sometimes he would get in trouble. Like in the #8 version, where he painted an 8 on the man's head. It would probably get kids to think that it's okay to just write on stuff all over the house.

"Whatever happened to the classic counting cartoon series with the race cars in the beginning and the spies at the end?"
Well, it was sung by Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane, and nobody knows who she is anymore. Also, it sounded pretty old-fashioned.