Whatever happened to...

mikealan

Reaction score
Remembering to see lost characters in 2003!

I, of course, remember quite a few lost characters and sketches in the year 2003.

SHERLOCK HEMLOCK-Appeared on the Mysterious Theatre sketch on the Season 30 episode on Noggin

PLACIDO FLAMINGO-performs the All-Animal Orchestra. Saw that on the other Season 30 episode where Telly acts like a dog!

BIFF AND SULLY-Cameo appearances on the Season 30 episode where Big Bird, Elmo, Baby Bear, Gordon and the kids try to read the story.

THE TYPEWRITER GUY-y'know that SS will not produce them again, but I DID get to see a few skits on the Season 30 episodes and parts of the 1987-88 season. They were...

J-Jump: Typewriter sees the frog jumping. Then he couldn't jump, so he leaves and goes "NOO-Nee-NOO-Nee-NOO!" and then we see Telly chasing Zoe jumping on the pogo-stick!

M-Magic: Typewriter transforms a rabbit into a purple-scorpion creature. Then, I think, as he disappears himself, we hear him giggling!

R-Rope: Jump-rope falls from the sky, so the Typewriter jumps with it until he flies up the entire screen!

U-Umbrella: It is about to rain, so the Typewriter opens the umbrella to make him dry. Then, the rain stops, so the Typewriter closes the umbrella and got stuck under it himself! :eek: After a really, really short struggle, he pops out his wheels and rolls off going "Nooney, nooney, noo..."

LETTERS IN SAND- see the update on my own thread! I remember seeing M and Y on parts of the 1987-88 season, E, L and S on episodes from Season 25 and I, J and O on episodes from Season 30.

TEN FINGERS, TEN RACE CARS, TEN SPIES-I didn't get to see it on television, but I definately watched #2 from the premiere episode on the Retromedia.tv site!

And now, here are the other Whatever Happened To's!

Whatever happened to Forgetful Jones?

Whatever happened to Hoots the Owl?

Whatever happened to Kermit on Sesame Street?

Whatever happened to the Monsterpiece Theater skits?

Whatever happened to any game shows?

Whatever happened to the Kermit the Reporter skits?

Whatever happened to Bert and Ernie in the apartment?

Whatever happened to the new number animations that count up to 13 (or 14 or 15, etc.)?

Whatever happened to the popular Alphaquest series?

mikealan

Reaction score
I think I know why they got rid of Sam the Robot, they got rid of him, because he talked and walked very slowly and of course makes everything wrong. People really didn't like making everything wrong. I've seen one street segment of him greeting Luis very slowly on the Museum of Radio & Television version of Sesame Street episode#536 when I was in 9th grade.

I checked out at the Sesame Street Encyclopedia that Sherlock Hemlock was off Sesame Street in 1996, but why did they got rid of him in 1996?

Gladys the Cow is STILL on Sesame Street! She appeared on the karaoke street segment on the 34th season premiere.

ssetta

Reaction score
I was quite surprised to see Gladys, but I don't know if they plan on doing anymore. Unfortunately, they don't really like any of those old characters anymore. Some of the once-major characters are starting to become minor. Look, even Oscar the Grouch isn't on that much anymore. And I know that they still like Ernie, but I don't think so much Bert. The only character that kids really like today is Elmo. They have done research saying that kids just don't like those characters, simply, because they're too old-fashioned.

mikealan

Reaction score
:frown:

That's true. Oscar, Snuffy and Bert will never be on Sesame Street ever again. But BTW, Ernie, the Count, Grover, Cookie, Telly and Big Bird are still around but I can't believe that Elmo, Zoe, Rosita and Baby Bear became more and more and more popular!!!

Elmo, Zoe, Rosita and Baby Bear will soonly take over Sesame Street and will change into Elmo's Show. I think this is how it will went:

La la la la
La la la la
Elmo's Show

La la la la
La la la la
ELMO'S SHOW!

Ryan

Reaction score
mikealan said:
:frown:

That's true. Oscar, Snuffy and Bert will never be on Sesame Street ever again.
Uh, why? Snuffy and Bert have been on a few episodes recently. One even centered around Bert's birthday! :rolleyes:

ssetta

Reaction score
And there was also an episode where Oscar wanted to find a new place to live. I mean, they're still using them, but not as much.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
The characters who are still around(and will always be)on Sesame Street are:

Big Bird,Cookie Monster,Oscar the Grouch,The Count,Ernie,Bert,Telly,and Snuffy

Frazzle

Reaction score
My brother & I were watching the letters in sand clips when we were in our late teens & he turns to me & says "I think they don't run these much because the sand people have pointed heads & can be mistaken for the KKK." Personaly, I just think that SS is trying to be more modern & they are trying to phase out the older skits because they do look dated. Don't get me wrong though, I LOVE the old skits, but kids today will watch them & not know what a typewriter is. My younger cousins dont even know what records are, lol.

guysmiley4ever

Reaction score
Hiya Jeffery Gray!

Ello, I was just reading thru some posts here and noticed your photo...Wow, there's a show I never missed! You can't do that on Television! (I don't know)
And another fave...Out Of Control! (cut it out)
*sniff* Nickelodeon used to be so awesome, sigh, those were the days.
And they actually played 'Today's Special'. Ahhhh.
Plus the weekend show, "Special Delivery"...Where I first saw 'The Frog Prince', 'The Monster Maker', and other great Henson shows!
Ah, those were the days...Have a spiffy day!!

Link Hogthrob

Reaction score
Rodeo Rosie

Gonzo14 said:
who performed Rodeo Rosie
Jerry Nelson performed Rodeo Rosie...I've only seen her appear on the show once. It was on the 1974 season premeire. I assume it was also her first appearance because the sketch centers around her meeting the human cast + Big Bird in Hooper's Store.

I've seen her in several SS books, most notably the SS Treasury and the earlier SS Library.