What's your favorite baseball team?

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yeah it is a real shame to see that happen to small market teams. The other Pennsylvania team here, the Pittsburgh Pirates, are a glaring case in point. The first 3 years of the 90's they had built an awesome team and won three division titles in a row with 95 wins or more. But they couldn't afford to keep their stars like Barry Bonds, Bobby Bonilla, and Doug Drabek and were quickly dismantled. Since '92 the Pirates have had nothing but losing records. But yeah, despite the flaws and the terrible 1994 strike/cancellation of the season, I will always love the game of baseball (likewise with football, with the salary cap and players not staying with the same teams as long as they used to. I just love football too much to stay away from it. Oh and by the way, I'm hoping Dick Vermeil can have a great season this year with the Chiefs. He's a class act. He deserves to retire on a high note).

Crazyminnyhaha

Reaction score
Im another NY Yankee fan. LETS GO YANKEES 2005 World Series Champs (I hope)

Ziffel

Reaction score
When I first saw minnyhaha I was expecting to see you say the Twins are your favorite team. (When I was in Minneapolis there was a lot of Minnehaha things everywhere). But I see you're a Long Islander and a Yank fan, yay!

Ziffel

Reaction score
I never liked the Mets, but wasn't that wonderful in 2000 that we had a subway series between the Yankees and the Mets! I had been wanting such a thing for a long time and hope to see it happen again some time.

homerthegreat

Reaction score
Blue Jays -- supporting the guys at home!!! But really, the Braves are where it's at. I watch nearly every game they play, great team.

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
love football too much to stay away from it. Oh and by the way, I'm hoping Dick Vermeil can have a great season this year with the Chiefs. He's a class act. He deserves to retire on a high note).
I'm not really much of a football fan. But I can say that local pre-season hype isn't what it has been in years past for the Chiefs. Maybe it will give them the break they need to focus on their weaknesses and get the job done. It's a real treat to be a Kansas Citian when the Chiefs are in the playoffs. People are happy, and the barbecue and beer flow like Mt. St. Helen's.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
Also, I see at this one baseball site that the San Francisco Giants are about to become the first team to win 10,000 games. (9996 currently).
Looking at an AP sports baseball recap story from SanFrancisco, I see the franchise won its 9999th game yesterday:

"Moises Alou, the Giants' lone representative in next week's All-Star game in Detroit, had two hits in the franchise's 9,999th victory. His managing father is a coach on La Russa's NL staff."

This was mentioned near the end of the article, so it's not getting much media attention. I can see that it's not really anything major, yet at the same time I kind of think it is a neat stat. It will also be neat if the Giants can win today and get their 10,000th win before the All Star break and before a home crowd. Won't be easy since they face the Cardinals, though.

And yes, Docnzhoss, I think the Nationals may be a lot better than people expected and are thus surprising and beating up on a lot of teams. Probably a significant factor is the move to DC, since they are getting great crowd support now after years of near emptiness at Montreal. I watched them yesterday against Philly here. They lost 1-0. The announcers said it was a rare loss this year by the Nationals in a close game. They are 24-9 in one run games! That stat didn't surprise me because it kind of seemed like a lot of times I would see final scores of the Nationals winning 4-3, 3-2, 5-4, etc.
It'll be interesting to see if they can hang on in the second half. With their success in the last 2 months, I imagine other teams will tend to put their best pitchers against them.
I agree the Braves probably don't have it anymore, but they do continue to amaze (in the regular season only, of course. :smile: ). Quite an impressive career for manager Bobby Cox. 6 times over 100 wins and 13 times over 90.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Just watched a thrilling comeback by my Yankees against the Angels. They were down 7-3 and won 8-7. Woohoo! It was the Fox game of the week this afternoon. The Yankees didn't really comeback as much as the Angel relief pitcher (Francisco Rodríguez) threw the game away. He's normally outstanding but boy did he stink today. Walked four Yanks and threw a couple wild pitches.
And boy are those Astros and A's red hot and the Nationals ice cold.

BEAR

Reaction score
The Dodgers! Haven't been to a game in so long though. I love going to the baseball stadium.

:attitude: Nothing says "America" like good old fashioned baseball.

You said it, Sam!