1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

What's your favorite letter segment?

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by The Count, Sep 15, 2002.

1. bisforbubble

bisforbubble New Member

Fav. Letter segments

Hey, I'd like to talk to you about the letter t. It looks like a hook, with a line across the top. It's a very usefuil letter. Like when you're hungry, there's tea, toast, taffy, tomatoes, and turkey. If you want to talk about animals, there's tadpoles, tigers, toads, and turtles. Lots of people have jobs that start with t...like ther's teachers, traffic cops, truck drivers, tailers, typists, and taxi drivers. Why right on your own body, there's teeth, a tounge, toes. But best of all, is how much fun you can have with t. You can tap dance, play tag, play with toys, travel on a train..tickle, talk, or you can toodle a tune on a tuba. A teriffic letter, the letter t. I like this one better than some of the newer segments, because it teaches you a lot more. There are 25 things that start with t, and if I remember correctly, the FILM only took a little over a minute. Now in a minute, the kids are lucky they learn 3 or 4 things. I hope that the kids today are ok learners (my personal opinion). :o
  2. fatblue

fatblue New Member

WOW!! I'm impressed, you quoted every word of that skit to a 'T', no pun intended! :D

I think the kids, like myself then, picked up quite a bit. I always liked that little flick really.
  3. bobhopesite

bobhopesite Active Member

4. bisforbubble

bisforbubble New Member

Thanks. Too bad it's been a decade or so since I saw it last. Can't believe I actually remembered it. :)
  5. Soul H

Soul H New Member

It wasn't Smokey who scared me. It was the music and the way the U grabbed him that scared me. Plus I was only three when I first saw the video, so you can see why I've been traumatised by it since.

6. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Lefty was his name and actually sold other things as well.
  7. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

don't know if this was mentioned but the A cartoon or whatever you call it where Annie asks her husband Arther if he's seen the letter A? 1 of the former stupid segments on the show though still funny. it had been said Henson had been responsable for the King of 8 and that wierd 12 piece with the rock. did he do the A one?
  8. maxdrive

maxdrive New Member

i always liekd the golden an skit with lefty with all the words haveing an at the end

like the tan van

i do get the names mixed up the cop was stand right and the guy lefty was sopose to meet from dan and then there was fran
  9. dbbarney

dbbarney New Member

The Lower Case N

My favorite was the lower case N

Anyone have lyrics to all these and the number cartoons (Ladybug picnic) etc?

Or are they available somewhere on DVD?
  10. Katzi428

Katzi428 Well-Known Member

"J-jump joyful"
    & a cartoon about a man talking about the letter "K"
    Man:And how are you today? I'm here to show you the letter K *points to K*
    And this is is the word "Kitten" *stretches out ITTEN to join the K*"Kitten" begins with the letter K
    *picks up a kitten*This is a kitten!Do any of you have a kitten? Did you know that the kitten's mother carries her kitten by the scruff of the neck?
    *Mother cat comes walking by & picks up the man instead of the kitten!*
    Man:MEOW?!
  11. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

The Zizzy Zoomers.

i wonder exactly when that was made. if it was made in 1972 or after maybe they should of had the zoomers from original 70s series performing that song. or maybe remake it with the zoomers from the current series. of course that show's going off the air after this year so it really doesn't matter now.
  12. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

13. SesameMike

SesameMike Member

Against a plain white background, a man is holding a lower-case letter "e". His lecture went something like this.

"E is for Elephant"
    A pachyderm approaches, takes the letter with his trunk and eats it.
    "(sigh!) E is also for Eat."
    Man pulls another e out of his pocket
    "Fortunately I have another one. E is for Eagle."
    A Bald Eagle approaches from above and makes off with the E
    "That wasn't very nice!"
    Man opens a closet door full of "e"s
    "E is for Everybody"
    A crowd of people walk by with marching/crunching sounds. After they pass, the closet is bare.
    "And E is for empty"
    Man dejectedly closes door
    Man turns happy again, with an egg in his hand.
    "And... E is for Egg"
    Man cracks top of egg with a spoon and a tiny "e" floats out of the top to a few notes of closing music.

Another routine:
    Man is climbing down a rope and reaches the bottom
    "E. End."
    Man falls off the bottom of the rope.
    "Eeeeeeeeee!"

Still another animation. Not sure if I got this right:
    Man holding an eraser in front of a blackboard with a drawing of another person.
    Man: "E."
    Drawing: "Erase"
    The man in the drawing erases the real person as if he were made of chalk.
    Drawing: "E."
  14. Ziffel

Ziffel New Member

Two common types of letter segments

Two kinds of letter segments I remember Sesame Street using a lot during my childhood in the 70's were:

(1) A voice would say, "These are the letters u and n. together they make this sound: un. un. (Then another letter such as r would appear in the background). Way right there is the letter r. it makes this sound. rrrrr. (Then the r and the un would gradually move closer to each other with the sound of a drum beat). rrrr. un. rrr. un. rrr. un. (Then the r would be in front of the un). Run!" (Then some muppets would demonstrate the meaning of the word by running around. I recall with s and un it became sun and a prop of the sun appears and the muppets come on screen and say, "Hey look the sun is out now!").
    (2) Some of the adults on Sesame Street (like Susan, Bob, and Mr. Hooper) would sing,"You take an n that's a nuh (the sound the letter n makes) and an e-t et. You put 'em all together and that spells net. That's net. n-e-t net." Muppets sometimes did these too. I remember some anything muppets doing, "You take a w that's a wuh and an e-t et....."

I was scanning this thread and other threads about letters and was somewhat surprised I didn't see anyone refer to these two common segments from back then. They used these quite frequently in the 70's, especially early 70's. I never saw any of these again though, whenever in the 80's or 90's I would occasionally catch a new SS show. Perhaps they decided at one point to not show these vintage clips anymore due to the debate about phonics that came on the educational scene in the late 80's or early 90's. A lot of educators were advocating the "whole language" method of reading to teach chiuldren, rather then the phonetical (sounding out the words) method. And these two types of segments from Sesame Street were clearly using the phonics method. But I think since the late 90's the empirical data has shown that phonics is far more successful in teaching reading than the whole language approach. And I think some educators that embraced the whole language method have conceded this point. ( I for one certainly benefited from the classic phonics method as a youngster).
    I never saw any of the Noggin SS Unpaved episodes (due to not having that channel available). Did any of them show any of these? I'm thinking probably not since I haven't seen these brought up here, but maybe I just haven't happened to come across posts that have. :)
  15. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

16. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

17. That Announcer

That Announcer New Member

The "ya want to buy an S" segment.
  18. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

19. SesameMike

SesameMike Member

V segments

Does anyone remember these two animated sketches about the letter V?

V
    The first one had a low key guy walking through what was supposed to be a museum. He walks past a de Milo statue and says
    Venus
    He keeps walking and sees a man playing a...
    Violin
    Two measures of fiddle music at most is played. Somehow that morphs into a heart shape.
    Valentine
    The heart morphs into a
    Vampire! (much louder creepier voice)
    Doesn't exactly turn into a bat, but rather a
    Vulture (deep voice)
    Said bird flies away, towards a mountain, which promptly shakes then erupts
    Volcano! (even deeper voice)
    But instead of lava or volcanic ash, this particular geologic anomaly spews out
    Vegetables? Vegetables. (casual voice. They repeated it, since this phenomenon was too peculiar for even a surreal animation. IMHO suspension of disbelief only goes so far.)
    In any case, a single bean leaps out of the volcanic cornucopia and promptly sprouts into a
    Vine.
    [I don't remember what came next, and I likely forgot some of the other words, but it all ended up as]
    Victory! (A "poof" sound, followed by cheers and cheery music. The visual had the letter beaming rays)
    V

Animation two. This one was narrated by an older man.

"V. Vitamins. You forgot to take your vitamins."

The letter "swallows" a bunch of pills down its center. The V promptly starts flexing its muscles, as if given a shot of steroids. Upbeat music plays.

"Vitality"

The letter starts sailing to the right against a psychedelic background.

"Vim"

The letter then hops up, over, and down a small stairway, as if on an obstacle course.

"Vigor"

I forgot what came next, but I think it just ended with a plain "V", as in most letter sketches.
  20. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

don't think it was a museum but just vaious V stuff even though it starts out with a man. couldn't really discribe the cartoon all that well.