When certain characters left the show...

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
I got thinking, this would have been a great idea for something they could have done on the show. Remember how they explained what happened to Mr. Hooper when he died? And how they explained what happened to David when he left the show? I thought it would be great if they would have mentioned what happened to some of the Muppets who were written out of the show. Think about it. When Roosevelt Franklin left the show (which was sometime in the late 70's I think) they could have had an episode that revolved around him explaining to everyone that he was quitting being a teacher because the kids in his classroom were too rowdy, and he felt like he was too lienient and wasn't teacher material, so he was moving down away because he got a new job as a salesman in some other state. When Forgetful Jones left the show in the early 90's they should have had an episode where him and Clementine got married and were moving down to Texas to a ranch but they had to leave Buster behind for some reason. I think it would have been pretty cool to give certain charachters a goodbye show like that. Is there any other charachters who have left the show over the years that you all could picture in an episode that focuses on them leaving?

BEAR

Reaction score
Interesting thought, but maybe they didn't really know if certain characters were going to be written out completely or missing for a while. I don't think it was necessarily planned out for the Muppet characters to get up and leave the show, especially since they don't always disappear forever. Forgetful Jones is around sometimes. I see him. He just doesn't talk which is the sad part. I dunno. It would have been nice to know what happened to some of the humans though. Where do they go? And they are never really mentioned again--Ruthie, Mr. Hanford, Olivia...those people. Maybe they will have something when the time comes (which I hope is never soon) that Bob or Susan leave the show for some reason. They are long time regulars (since the show began) so it would be a much bigger deal for their disappearance. Just my jumbled thoughts.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
When Olivia left, they should have said that she was moving away because of a photography job offer. When Mr. handford left, they should have showed him selling Hoopers Store to Alan. When Savion left, they could have said that he was going away to college (and the same could have been said about Mike).

BEAR

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
When Olivia left, they should have said that she was moving away because of a photography job offer. When Mr. handford left, they should have showed him selling Hoopers Store to Alan. When Savion left, they could have said that he was going away to college (and the same could have been said about Mike).

If the time ever came for the current humans to leave (mainly Susan, Gordon, Bob, Maria) I would like for them to dedicate a whole episode about their departure no matter how it is they are leaving. Death, moving away...whatever.

Rosewood

Reaction score
why

BooberFraggless said:
When Forgetful Jones left the show in the early 90's they should have had an episode where him and Clementine got married and were moving down to Texas to a ranch but they had to leave Buster behind for some reason.
Mabey their reason for leaving Buster behind could have been the fact that had just sold him to "Marshal Grover"! :stick_out_tongue: "

Rosewood

Reaction score
Why buster got left behind

BooberFraggless said:
When Forgetful Jones left the show in the early 90's they should have had an episode where him and Clementine got married and were moving down to Texas to a ranch but they had to leave Buster behind for some reason.
Mabey their reason for leaving Buster behind could have been the fact that had just sold him to "Marshal Grover"! :stick_out_tongue: "

BEAR

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
Thats a different horse entirely though. Marshal Grover rides Fred the Wonder Horse.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
It would be nice if (and this is a big if) a character that's been around for a while ever does leave, like Bob, Susan, Gordon, Maria, or Luis, to give them a proper send-off like they did with Mr. Hooper.

Maria (Sonia Manzano) once stated in an interview working on Sesame Street
(both as a performer and a writer) is the most rewarding job ever, and she'd
like to keep doing it as long as possible. Same for Carroll Spinney. And since Maria is the youngest of the bunch, she stands the best chance for being around longer.

It is my wish that all the characters mentioned above keep being active on the Street, for as long as the actors are able to do so. I hope their advancing years don't slow them down to the point where they can't contribute anymore. :sleep:

BEAR

Reaction score
fuzzygobo said:
It would be nice if (and this is a big if) a character that's been around for a while ever does leave, like Bob, Susan, Gordon, Maria, or Luis, to give them a proper send-off like they did with Mr. Hooper.

Maria (Sonia Manzano) once stated in an interview working on Sesame Street
(both as a performer and a writer) is the most rewarding job ever, and she'd
like to keep doing it as long as possible. Same for Carroll Spinney. And since Maria is the youngest of the bunch, she stands the best chance for being around longer.

It is my wish that all the characters mentioned above keep being active on the Street, for as long as the actors are able to do so. I hope their advancing years don't slow them down to the point where they can't contribute anymore. :sleep:
Look at Bob! It is amazing to me how peppy and alive he is as a man in his 70s. He certainly does not seem that much older. He'll be around for a while.