When Kermit Met Piggy...

BeakerSqueedom

Reaction score
Yah, Piggy is a lady! A lad- I mean a pig needs respect (And commitment)! XD

It kinda makes a big joke of her. Omg now I am starting to feel sorry fo her.

XD LOL!

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
Piggy didn't come about until 1975, so it's only been just 0ver 30 years technically. I don't think, when the love story was introduced in the first place that anybody really expected that the characters, not alone the interest in their relationship, would last as long as they have.

The people who write for the Muppets now are only basing everything on the way the relationship has been throughout The Muppet Show and the movies. It would probably seem a bit stupid to change everything now, especially after 30 odd years.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I don't think the Jim Henson Company, Disney or anyone else that might have some control over the Muppets are scared about announcing Kermit and Piggy as an item. I just think that if they finally said "Okay, they are married and have four bouncing baby figs" it would kinda be the end of the story.
And yet, I feel at least, that we have had all the Piggy thinks it's on, Kermit thinks it's off jokes. We had those for the first few seasons of The Muppet Show, and then in TMM. And then the characters grew, the situations changed slightly through GMC, MTM, and the laster seasons of The Muppet Show, and they could bring humor through Kermit being shy of his involvement, and yet heart through his being sure of it.

And then they sort of back-tracked the relationship, and start on ground zero in each movie. Interesting that Gigglesock (whose name, I confess to not knowing, so giggle-sock ye are.) mentioned Shrek, because in a way that is a good model to follow.

In the first movie, Shrek and Fiona fell in love, in the second they had their first lover's tiff's and got over them and were, once again, in love. In the third, they have to deal with having a baby.

I don't think that admitting that Kermit and Piggy are married, and giving them figs would be the end of the romance, but would rather be the beginning of a whole new set of jokes, problems, arguments, heartfelt tender moments.

Imagine, Kermit onstage introducing a number...while holding trying to hold a baby, and pull a toddler off his leg.

Or, Miss Piggy onstage for an elaborate musical number, pausing to shout childcare tips offstage to her husband. "He lost his sock!"

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
I can see what you mean. To me, tho, having them married with children would take them even further away from the Muppets I grew up with and loved as a child. Disney have already made a good job of changing and cheapening them so far and I think that any more changes from how they were "back in the day" would ruin them altogether.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I can see what you mean there. Almost as if Beauregard slowly became more intelligent throughout the series until he had a master's degree...I guess I can understand why that wouldn't work.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
The only thing that Disney really have is a long back catalogue of Muppet programs, specials and movies. Changing the Muppet back story that Jim, Frank or Jerry Juhl created would be criminal and I don't think Disney or the new Muppet writers would be confident or foolhardy enough to do that. Fozzie should always be a failed comedian, Gonzo should always be crazy and have a thing for chickens, Animal should always be woman hungry and... well, just hungry, and Kermit & Piggy should always have a love/hate relationship.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Yeah, Miss Piggy and Kermit with Children would not be funny at all. It ends the tension between the two, and it ends a mystery, I like just the fact they keep teasing us into believing what we want to believe. Thats one of the many things that makes the Muppets wonderful.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
Shrek was released worldwide in 2001 and you can almost guarantee that the story line, marriage and kids would have been planned pretty much at the very beginning. The Muppets have been around since the 1950s and the Kermit and Piggy story started in around 1975. It is much easier to create a story line for characters that have no background history, have only been in three movies and have only been around for a few years. The Muppet Show during the 70s and 80s was one of THE biggest TV shows of all time and changing characters in any big way would be a great risk.

It's not so much as "the same joke they have been telling for 40 years" just more of a story line that could only really develop one way. It would be like Mulder and Scully getting together in The X Files. Once it's been done there is little further the story could be taken.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Can Piggy compete with Dora the Explorer or the Bratz dolls? Not if she's constantly being insulted and used as a fat joke - what little girl identifies with that?
I totally agree with this!

However, I don't think the Muppets offer nothing to today's audience. Their best work is simply not being distributed, not being given the time of day. Sometimes it has been, and people (adults and kids) have genuinely enjoyed it. But the media doesn't seem to want to listen. So it's not true that people aren't continuing to enjoy them. It's just ended up being a "behind the scenes" thing.

::shrugs:: It would be great if they were given more attention, it would be easier for people to see them. However, I'm happy as long as they are still genuinely influencing people who do get to see them. Popularity does not equal quality.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
With all this talk about expanding the Muppets and making such changes, I would like to ask this: Have the classic Disney characters had any major, significant changes over the years?