When you need to rant...

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
The Dreaded Birthday Chant. Go to any corporate restaurant chain you care to name, and inevitably the wait staff will crowd around someone's table, clap up a storm (encouraging you to join in) and rattle off some barely intelligible chant to wish you a Happy Birthday. Even the person whose birthday it is doesn't seem to enjoy this. (Unless you're under five).

This ritual lost its novelty a LONG TIME AGO. Kinda went out of style with the Macarena. Wanna wish me a happy birthday? Comping my meal would be great.
LOL this is what that reminds me ofhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9h57OIaMFs

mr3urious

Reaction score
The Dreaded Birthday Chant. Go to any corporate restaurant chain you care to name, and inevitably the wait staff will crowd around someone's table, clap up a storm (encouraging you to join in) and rattle off some barely intelligible chant to wish you a Happy Birthday. Even the person whose birthday it is doesn't seem to enjoy this. (Unless you're under five).

This ritual lost its novelty a LONG TIME AGO. Kinda went out of style with the Macarena. Wanna wish me a happy birthday? Comping my meal would be great.
And they can't even sing the actual Happy Birthday song, as singing it at a restaurant with a significant amount of people would count as a public performance, forcing them to pay the copyright holders a buttload of money.

WalterLinz

Reaction score
Hey I don't consider this drastic(duh, it's Disneyland!), but once I ate at this restaurant (I forgot what it was called) at Disneyland for breakfast, it was somebody's birthday and some of the employees who worked there had crowded around their table and sang Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah instead of you-know-what.:stick_out_tongue:

mr3urious

Reaction score
Hey I don't consider this drastic(duh, it's Disneyland!), but once I ate at this restaurant (I forgot what it was called) at Disneyland for breakfast, it was somebody's birthday and some of the employees who worked there had crowded around their table and sang Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah instead of you-know-what.:stick_out_tongue:
At least that's a nice, non-obnoxious song that still fits the birthday theme. :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Like I said, if you find yourself taken to a restaurant for your birthday, if you ask not to have the whole clapping and chanting done, they will comply. They'll still give you a free dessert or something.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ah, Zip-a-Dee-Dooh-Dah. The song from a Disney project that doesn't exist. Kinda hard to deny that thing was ever made when its signature song is still around.

But ANY birthday thing like that is annoying. You should just get your freaking cake without ceremonial stuff when you hit a certain age. Public or private.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Birthdays are still nice (and I've had more than most of you). Birthday cakes are still nice. Even having people sing "Happy Birthday" is still nice(I'll waive the copyright fees). But the chant has got to go. You servers, go earn your tips. I've done your job, and I know time is money.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll admit that the Birthday Song is fun when you're a kid. It's only trolling when you're of a certain age, especially an adult. And mainly because you get that fun "you're gonna die" tie in with it said to you by people who supposedly love you with as much sarcasm as possible. E.I. what the "Over the Hill" gag gift industry exists/lives for.

Luckily, I'm not quite in the hilarious reminder of death inflicted by friends and family stage yet. But that's where the Happy Birthday song goes from cheerful little greeting to sarcastic, snarky, "we're your friends, so we can call bullying 'teasing' and get away with it." Seriously. What the heck is the deal with that?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Y'know Drtooth, I've often had an appreciation for your cynical and sardonic sense of humor, mainly because you quite often bat close to home with your remarks... but that may be a might pessimistic, even from you.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Y'know Drtooth, I've often had an appreciation for your cynical and sardonic sense of humor, mainly because you quite often bat close to home with your remarks... but that may be a might pessimistic, even from you.
Walk to the back of a Spencers. Well, not the far back with the...the things I can't even talk about. Just before that. There's a wall of tombstone shaped things with age milestones on them. That's a pretty insensitive gift. And your friends give them to you! There's also walkers, and other oh so sensitive old people paraphernalia.

I'm going to put a link to Party City's page as Spenser's page is completely NSFW! I don't really see the death related stuff there, but I've seen it. Stuff kinda scared me when I was younger, too. My point is, your friends buy you that stuff to get a cheap laugh.