When you need to rant...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah I mean I remember the actress who played Blair on Facts of Life decided not to do an episode that focused on her character having premarital sex because it was against her beliefs. That I respect because she truly stuck to her convictions even if it possibly meant her getting in trouble with the show.
Yes, but when Kirk Cameron did the same thing, he was a tyrant. He bullied everyone on the staff until he got his way. Why they didn't fire his sorry butt is beyond me. There's a difference between having convictions and saying you can't do an episode and making everyone else miserable to uphold beliefs that one just started believing in.

Still, there's a difference between actor and character. There's an actor helping shape the character or understanding the character even better than the creator (that happened with Spock, and a lot of Muppet characters), but that's different. I almost can respect someone not wanting to do something in a show that contradicts their beliefs, but you look at all these actors who played against them. Carol O'Conner was far from Conservative when playing Archie Bunker.

That said, isn't Blair on Survivor? That's a LOT worse than fake pretending premarital sex unseen but mentioned in a TV show. I guess morals only matter as long as you're popular, huh?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yes, but when Kirk Cameron did the same thing, he was a tyrant. He bullied everyone on the staff until he got his way.
Well it helped that his character was so popular. He probably knew he could get away with acting that way.

But Blair was not quite so popular as Kirk Cameron. I think it was more of a risk for her to refuse to do that episode.

I almost can respect someone not wanting to do something in a show that contradicts their beliefs, but you look at all these actors who played against them. Carol O'Conner was far from Conservative when playing Archie Bunker.
Well that's a little different. Archie was never supposed to be taken seriously. He was very much a liberal version of what a conservative is.

That said, isn't Blair on Survivor? That's a LOT worse than fake pretending premarital sex unseen but mentioned in a TV show. I guess morals only matter as long as you're popular, huh?
I think if you need money, you have to work. I don't hold that against her. Darn right it is easier to have morals when things are going fine. That's true of everybody. And I can sympathize.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
WHY the ELMO has Hot in Cleveland been given ANOTHER season?! NOBODY likes that show!!! People have made it LOUD AND CLEAR to TV Land for the past FOUR YEARS (apparently), NOBODY LIKES HOT IN CLEVELAND, NOBODY LIKES RETIRED AT 35, NOBODY LIKES HAPPILY DIVORCED, NOBODY LIKES THE EXES, NOBODY LIKES THE SOUL MAN, NOBODY LIKES THE ORIGINAL SITCOMS WITH HAS-BEEN ACTORS TV LAND KEEPS CRANKING OUT, TV LAND IS SUPPOSED TO BE DEDICATED TO CLASSIC TELEVISION, NOT THEIR OWN CASHCOWS! IT'S A GOOD THING THERE'S METV AND RTV AND THE LIKE, BECAUSE TV LAND HAS ALIENATED ITS VIEWERS.

SERIOUSLY, THERE'S EVEN A FACEBOOK GROUP PROTESTING TV LAND'S ORIGINAL SITCOMS, WHICH TV LAND ITSELF HAS ACKNOWLEDGE, BUT ADMIT THEY'D RATHER CATER TO THEIR OWN GREED, INSTEAD OF CATER TO ITS VIEWERS.

FROG YOU TV LAND. FROG YOU FOR ALIENATING US ALL.

Misskermie

Reaction score
WHY the ELMO has Hot in Cleveland been given ANOTHER season?! NOBODY likes that show!!! People have made it LOUD AND CLEAR to TV Land for the past FOUR YEARS (apparently), NOBODY LIKES HOT IN CLEVELAND, NOBODY LIKES RETIRED AT 35, NOBODY LIKES HAPPILY DIVORCED, NOBODY LIKES THE EXES, NOBODY LIKES THE SOUL MAN, NOBODY LIKES THE ORIGINAL SITCOMS WITH HAS-BEEN ACTORS TV LAND KEEPS CRANKING OUT, TV LAND IS SUPPOSED TO BE DEDICATED TO CLASSIC TELEVISION, NOT THEIR OWN CASHCOWS! IT'S A GOOD THING THERE'S METV AND RTV AND THE LIKE, BECAUSE TV LAND HAS ALIENATED ITS VIEWERS.

SERIOUSLY, THERE'S EVEN A FACEBOOK GROUP PROTESTING TV LAND'S ORIGINAL SITCOMS, WHICH TV LAND ITSELF HAS ACKNOWLEDGE, BUT ADMIT THEY'D RATHER CATER TO THEIR OWN GREED, INSTEAD OF CATER TO ITS VIEWERS.

Wow, you must really like these people!:big_grin:

Hubert

Reaction score

WOO! WOO WOO WOO WOO WOO WOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I second, fourth eighth and tenth that, and like that!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't understand why Hot in Cleveland is popular enough to be on TV but not popular enough to be on a network that shows original programming. Like I always say, channels devoted to movies just run original programming and channels devoted to original programming just run movies. HIC is basically the TV show adaption of the Betty White Meme that was barely popular a year. Plus, considering it's about a bunch of over 40 year old women trying to get some, it's basically Golden Girls with a younger cast. But I never saw it, so I can't really comment on it.

I like MeTV, but I wish they'd put on something besides the FREAKING Cowboy shows over and over and over. All the good stuff is at 9 and 10. Where's the Laverne and Shirley or Happy Days or Taxi? Get Smart at 1 AM Saturdays? You have all these great shows, but they're on too late or opposite something else. And all Afternoon, cowboy show, cowboy show, cowboy show.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This whole "Jim Henson Company Puppets" thing STILL drives my absolutely bonkers, to the point that I want to scream and break things.

I don't care if Disney legally owns the trademark to the word "Muppet", Jim Henson himself was the man who created the Muppets and changed the world of puppetry as we know it in the process, therefore, any puppets that are associated with his company are still "Muppets" either way. "Muppet" doesn't just apply to Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, etc, it also applies to Big Bird, Gobo Fraggle, Emmet Otter, et al.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This whole "Jim Henson Company Puppets" thing STILL drives my absolutely bonkers, to the point that I want to scream and break things.

I don't care if Disney legally owns the trademark to the word "Muppet", Jim Henson himself was the man who created the Muppets and changed the world of puppetry as we know it in the process, therefore, any puppets that are associated with his company are still "Muppets" either way. "Muppet" doesn't just apply to Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, etc, it also applies to Big Bird, Gobo Fraggle, Emmet Otter, et al.

I have a problem with that, and I wish that Disney gave JHC the same special treatment as SW, who does get to call the Sesame Street characters Muppets. But the sad thing is, it's only a business logistics what-the-heck-ever technical legalese thing. Remember that crap that happened over the Summer with Chick Feelas (please, no one go into that subject. This is to illustrate a point)? Everyone assumed it was a The Muppets thing and posted Muppet related things reguarding Disney and SW owned properties even when it was just JHC. I'm glad Toughpigs corrected it with "Waffle Fries NO! Waffle Monkey SI!" or something like that.

There should have been a few more provisions to the sale. But that brings me to another point...

How come when a big entertainment company buys a smaller one, they always get the stink eye? Now, I'm not saying that in the cases where the company changed hands multiple times and were acquired at various liquidation sales... but I'm talking about times where the company is sold to another company because said first company doesn't really want to deal with it anymore.

George Lucas sold Lucasfilm to Disney... Peter Laird sold TMNT to Nickelodeon... The CW sold their kid's programming block to 4Kids (before it went under)... explaining that one to idiots that were angry that 4Kids bought Kid's WB, thus ending the steady stream of programming that Kids WB already cancelled for some reason to teenage brats on Youtube was like pulling teeth... The point is, sometimes the company that gets bought up APPROACHES the other company.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, at this time, I am feeling really, REALLY deprived right now, and it's times like these that makes me think, don't people wish they listened to Al Gore sooner, rather than dismiss him as a nutjob?

Now then, I suppose I can't complain too awful much, considering that here a few months ago, the unimaginable happened: we actually had a bearable and tolerable summer for once... that RARELY happens for us... so, you would think, after being given a break during summer for once, that we could also possibly have a nice crisp fall, and a nice cold winter to go with it.

No such luck.

I mean, throughout much of this past fall, we kept having recurring bouts of spring-like weather, sunny and warm, upwards into the 70s, throughout fall: y'know, the season where the air is supposed to be nice and crisp, not too hot, and not too cold? Yeah, apparently Mother Nature wasn't in the mood for that this year. But NOW! Now, here it is, the first mark of the time of year that I always look forward to, the beginning of December, the beginning of winter, when the weather is supposed to be nice and refreshing, where you can bundle up in snuggly sweaters, and take in the clean, refreshing air that puts an extra spring in your step... but nooooo! No, here it is the beginning of December, and it's in the 70s outside! I'm walking around in t-shirts and shorts IN WINTER!!! On top of that, so far, the weekly forecast is saying sweater weather won't even return for another week or two. WHAT?! You mean, I have to spend the first week or two of December in clothing other than sweaters and jackets, and keep the air conditioning on?! And even worse... according to all the forecast models for the next three months, cold weather isn't projected to even return to this region until February. WHAT?!! DECEMBER AND JANUARY AREN'T EVEN GOING TO BE COLD THIS YEAR?!! WHAT THE FROG PEOPLE!!!

I am really, really, REALLY feeling SERIOUSLY DEPRIVED RIGHT NOW!!! Have any of you spent time down here in this part of the country? It stays warm, humid, muggy, or just plain hot a vast majority of the year! We don't even get to enjoy much of the season of fall, because the heat usually likes to stick around throughout all of September and much of October, but come November through February (some of March, if we're lucky), that's the ONLY time we get a break from the constant humidity! This is even WORSE than last year, and we didn't even have fall or winter last year! Fall remained mostly spring-like last year, like this year, HOWEVER, last year, while it wasn't exactly a nice and cold winter, we didn't have to walk around in t-shirts and shorts like we're having to right now! In addition to that, we had early springs the last two years... again, as you can plainly see, I AM FEEL REALLY DEPRIVED RIGHT NOW, AND I AM NO LONGER HAPPY!!!

Sorry, I'm just in a RULLY bad mood today over all of this.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Would it make you feel better...or at least make you laugh... if I told you that my mom is one of those people who believe in the conspiracy theory that the government is controlling the weather? :stick_out_tongue: