1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Where in the world is Antron Fleece?

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by TheCreatureWork, Jan 4, 2011.

1. TheCreatureWork

TheCreatureWork Active Member

Anyone know where I can get my hands on some? Everyone is out and I need some for a project- it has to be white so I can dye it. Please email me at tom@thecreatureworks.ca if you have some or know of someone who can sell me some.
  2. charlie bird

charlie bird Member

some where over the rainbow......I looked every where that they would ussually have it and it doesnt exist.......sorry I'm right there with ya on that
  3. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Member

I can't stop crying !

I'm in Desperate need of 4 yards If anyone has lead Please share.
    I have a email that went over to gastage.No word yet
    Yikers!
  4. fragglerockr

fragglerockr Member

Antron fleece...

When I inquired about Antron from ga stage in December I was told middle of January. :mad:
  5. Melonpool

Melonpool Member

When I inquired in July they said August. By September, I canceled my order.
  6. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Didn't I read on here somewhere that antron fleece was no longer being manufactured? :confused:
  7. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

i thought that was the deal too
  8. TheCreatureWork

Really? I think you are confused with the posting about the old version of Antron not being manufactured anymore. I emailed the folks at Georgia Theatre and they stated that they are still waiting from their supplier...I'm still waiting.

If Antron no longer exists- today is a sad day. :(
  9. TheCreatureWork

I've emailed Brandi at Georgia Stage to set the record straight. :)
  10. spcglider

spcglider Member

From what I understand (please correct any inaccuracies):

The REPLACEMENT type of Antron Fleece is available on a limited basis... occasionally from the fabric mill that owns the license rights to manufacture it.

Years ago, the Pepsi Company bought the Antron Fiber Company. In order to cut operating costs, the new ownership cancelled manufacture of everything except carpet fiber. That included the original "formulation" of antron fleece fabric.

Rumor has it that The Muppets bought up every last available bolt of the original fabric. True or not, you can see the logic in that.

Another company (I'm assuming a fabric mill) bought the rights to produce a very similar fabric (similar because the original fiber was no longer available to make it from). That is what I call REPLACEMENT fleece.

This fabric's use in industry is no longer what it once was (I'm told it was used in cars? But I'm not certain about that). So the demand for it has waned considerably... making it something that isn't worth manufacturing in massive amounts. Thus our continuing shortage. And the reason its only made in smaller batches now.

The mill does runs of the fabric on occasion, and that's when it becomes available. So it's going to be a matter of keeping highly attuned to the folks at Georgia Stage (pretty much the only distributor that I know of) and plan your commitment in advance. If you place an order, there'll eventually be enough orders to justify a run.

Sorry, but that's the way it goes.

If you're in a position to do so, you can order an entire 50+ yard bolt of the fabric and have your own supply. A bolt costs about $600. But at this point, you'll probably be waiting on another mill run.

My other suggestion is to start looking out there... seek alternatives to make your puppets from. Because I guarantee you... this problem won't be changing any time soon being that it's only consistent use is by puppteers making Muppet-inspired puppets.
  11. TheCreatureWork

Brandi's (from Georgia Stage) reply:

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]IT’S STILL BEING MANUFACTERED.. BUT IT’S SLOW GO.[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]I HAVEN’T HAD ANY IN LIKE 5 MONTHS.. [/FONT][/FONT]
  12. D'Snowth

I'm kind of glad I don't have this problem myself, lol.

I know people here list a lot of cons that come with polar fleece, but I really like it myself, and it certainly gets the job done for me.

My problem is I can't really find what I call "specialty" fabrics: furs and such, whether it's nice shaggy fur for monsters and squirrel tails, or short plushy fur for squirrels; I know people say "Well, go to Jo-Ann's! Jo-Ann's has EVERYTHING!" Well, NO they DON'T. Especially not fur. I can get really great polar fleece, felt, and other simple fabrics like that at Jo-Ann's, but that's just about it; when it comes to something like fur, I've had to make strange purchases to get the right fur and color, ranging from buying shaggy throw decorative pillows, to ordering a yard or two online... and another problem with fur is that half the time, it's sold as a "seasonal item", so my only chances of getting anything right is during the cold winter months.

But, that's off topic, we're talking about antron, and other fleece alternatives. Again, I know people keep looking at the cons, but there are a lot of pros with polar fleece as well: it's available in a rainbow of colors, almost all-year long; it may not be as fuzzy as antron, but it does a decent job at hiding seams as well, especially if you take the time to try your hand at the Henson Stitch. Even darker colors of polyester fleece (like drab grays and such) can get the job done as well.
  13. Puppetainer

Puppetainer Member

Yeah, I agree with Gordon that it's not a bad idea to start getting comfortable with other fabrics. I also agree D'Snowth that Polar Fleece isn't such a horrible fabric to work with. I do still prefer Antron, but it's limited availability has forced me to try other things.

As for fur...I completely agree that the fabric stores are going to be of very little use. I still haven't really bought any but I've gathered a few links to some online sellers (mostly from our friends here at MCF) that I can share.

http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/catalog_items.aspx?TypID=118
    http://www.mendels.com/fur2.shtml

Give them a try! I'm going to be ordering some soon to start my next monster puppets. My first couple came from an old bathrobe. How's that for alternate materials?
    :D
  14. spcglider

spcglider Member

Mendels has a pretty darn good selection of furs. My wife found some fur for me to re-build Furry Ackermonster with that's nearly perfect. And he's built from leftover fur from Seasme Street Live... which is all custom stuff.

-G
  15. D'Snowth

Mendel's is just too pricey for me, especially in shipping from the west coast all the way to the east coast... it all adds up. :smirk:
  16. Animal31

Animal31 Active Member

I just purchased 5 yards from Distinctivefabric, shipping was only $17.00 from CA to MA.........

$20.00 for long fur, plenty of colors to chose, and they have one called "stringy" that I'm going to check out.
  17. D'Snowth

That still seems a little steep, though.

But I think I'll give a look at their selection anyway to see how they compare.

Incidentally, on the subject of online ordering, I've gotten some great aquamarine fur fabric for Bethany from fabric.com last year at a reasonable price (for the fabric, and the shipping). And they are GENEROUS too! I ordered a yard and a half, but the quantity of the fabric they gave me was almost like I had gotten two full yards, and even after building the puppet, I still have quite a bit of the fabric left over... I would think it should last for about three or four rebuilds/replacements of the same puppet. :)
  18. spcglider

spcglider Member

Well, D'Snowth,

I guess I can only say that if you want something specific, and nothing else will do, you're going to encounter the need to pony up for whatever it is you're trying to get.

It sucks that faux furs aren't as in-vogue as they used to be and are harder to get at typical fabric stores, but that's the breaks. We're all at the mercy of market forces.

Now, if you're willing to go a little "low rent" to get some pretty cool fake furs (but don't have a specific type or color in mind), there was a run on kooky lounge pillows a while ago and I see them popping up at the local thrift store from time to time. Many of them made of extremely long matted-looking fur. I've seen them in reds and greens most recently.

It all depends on how squeamish you are in re-using "used" materials.

-Gordon
  19. D'Snowth

You're right Gordon.

I've noticed the throw pillows seem to come and go in fad cycles, though unfortunately, they're not always a nice shaggy fur (though they are sometimes, which is good), as other times, they're more like fine hairy material.
  20. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

$17-20 is not steep for quality faux fur, especially the longer hair. I do realize that it's important to work within your budget, but I've had to pay $30, $40 even $80 per yard for good, quality fur.