1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Where is Steve Whitmire Petition

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by theprawncracker, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. dmoss

dmoss Member

You know, in my opinion, on the video from the 2009 MTV Music Awards, I kind of prefer the voice being used...Artie has some of Jim's qualities in there. Not that I don't like Steve...he gives Kermit a lot of character, and is quick on his feet. With some work, like everyone else has said, Artie could really bring Kermit's old voice back. :)
  2. MarcusPiper

MarcusPiper New Member

As someone who knows Artie personally, and knows how much he's emotionally invested in these characters, it's nice to hear that people are beginning to come around. As many have said, they were not bad performances, they were just a surprise to those who were not expecting someone different.

I'm surprised that no one here has come across his website yet. It has a bunch of his Muppet voices on it. If anyone is interested in hearing them, you should take a listen.

http://artworkbyartie.weebly.com/voices.html

MP
  3. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

I have watched the videos since the "initial shock." It didn't change my opinion.

I have nothing against Artie. But, honestly, it wasn't Kermit. If he was given time to grow into the character, maybe it would be, but why should he need to grow into the character when you can use the ACTUAL Kermit the Frog, Steve Whitmire?

Artie may have the voice (which I personally believe he does not), but Steve has the heart and soul of Kermit. Artie cannot give Kermit his old voice back, because his old voice has been dead for twenty years. Artie is not Jim the same as Steve is not Jim. But Steve has fought to give us the best darn frog he can, and he deserves to be that character.

To share an experience, I was talking to a man at work recently who is a Muppet fan, perhaps not to the same extent as some around here, but he's still a fan. He hadn't seen any of Artie's work as Kismet, but he has seen all of the movies, all of the YouTube videos, and many of the television specials and shows. One day he asked me, "Who's doing Kermit's voice now? It's sounding dead on!" Remember, he'd never seen any segment with Artie's performances. He recognized how perfect Steve Whitmire is for the role. Of course, then he added, "I can't imagine what it will be like when they have to replace Frank Oz." :) Of course, I had to break it to him.

So, kudos Eric! And kudos Steve! You're both brilliant performers taking on a daunting task, and succeeding! Artie, I wish you no ill will and hope that you will have a long career with the Muppets. Just please let Steve continue to play Kermit, Disney executives.
  4. Reevz1977

Reevz1977 Well-Known Member

Uh oh, someones poked the hornets nest again:p

It makes absolute sense for Disney to have some contingency plans in place for all the Muppet performers because, heaven forbid, if anything happened to any one of them, Disney would want somebody there to jump in - especially considering the vested interest in the Muppets right now. And especially someone who's passionate about the Muppets!

That said, I personally (and I'm in no way shape or form any kind of expert) but all the voices on that website were just good impressions (at least for me:o) of the characters. That said, each one has the potential, overtime, to be great (in particular Waldorf). But then theres the performance to think about. I guess time will tell.

I just hope that if Disney chooses to replace any performer, its for genuine reasons and not due to creative differences, penny-pinching or any other more rediculous reason like the VMA's.

There my two cents on the matter:)
  5. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

i listened to his Kermit on his website and i gotta say it doesn't sound bad...if someday Artie replaces Steve i wouldn't mind...it seems now that the shock is over maybe he seems ok at Kermit granted the original performances still sounded off maybe it was nerves. i know id be nervous in that situation in front of millions of veiwers
  6. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

Wow! Drtooth is right! He can do a better Kermit behind closed doors. No offense to Artie, of course.
  7. Mupp

Mupp Member

Again, I thought that Artie did a decent vocal job in those two TV appearances.

And if I were to guess, I would bet that 90% of the home viewing audience (general pubic, not die-hard fans) did not think that anything out of the ordinary was happening.

As Steve said; "Its behind us"

But again, if it makes anyone feel better, just imagine that Kermit had a cold during those two appearances. We all have our off days. :)
  8. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

I just listened to the demo on his website. I don't hear it. I don't understand why people think it sounds closer to Jim than Steve. To me it sounds like... well, my own Kermit impression, and that is not a good thing.

You can accuse my of being biased on this, I don't believe I am. I hate being on the opposite end of this. Usually I'm defending a performer. Still, it doesn't sound like Kermit to me. As Reevz said, a good impression at best.

However, his Waldorf sounds a lot like Jim's "Five People in My Family" voice... which doesn't sound much like Waldorf. :p I could kinda hear him as Rowlf, though.

Again, I apologize if I seem to be too critical. This is still an emotional issue to me, I guess.

There were quite a few comments on YouTube of "average viewers" saying Kermit sounded off. I saw a few of those comments on other sites as well.
  9. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

This is all water under the bridge for the Muppets, but I will again state that it was a noble freshman (in-public) effort Artie put in as the head frog. That sort of thing takes a lot of practice. Artie's tonality of voice is closer to Jim's Kermit than Steve's, but Steve has the better over-all performance. It only makes sense because Steve's been Kermit for nearly 20 years. If he ever retired (frog forbid) I'd cast a vote for Artie. Still, there's more to a Muppet than the voice. It'll take more practice just as it took Steve some time to grow into Kermit.

Still, it's good that Steve is back. He is Kermit now and I hope he's Kermit for another 20 years. :)
  10. Mupp

Mupp Member

Well regardless, Its over, and its behind us. :)

And given how all Muppet fans reacted to this, the Muppets Studio will probably think twice before trying a public experiment like this again.
  11. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

I have nothing against him either. But the Ave Q guy who plays Nicky on YT (except for that We Will Rock Q vid) does a much better "Jim's" Kermit.
  12. MelissaY1

MelissaY1 Well-Known Member

I'll say again what I said earlier when this whole thing came up: To me when I think of Kermit the Frog I always think of Jim's Kermit. It took me a LONG time to warm up to Steve's Kermit and I think he does a great job. I didn't even go see Muppet Christmas Carol in the movie theater in it's original release because I wasn't ready for the "new" Kermit yet. But Steve does a wonderful job it's just not Jim. Artie isn't Jim though I think his voice is alot closer to Jim's than Steve's.

However, with that said, I think time, Artie could make a great Kermit but I wouldn't want to see that happen unless Steve is ready to retire or god forbid something physically happens to him. But I'd rather see a decent, passable Kermit which I think Artie's has potential for, than no Kermit at all. That was my biggest concern after Jim passed on: what was going to become of his characters? They've gone on this long and I think they will continue if the right people are taking over with consideration for what makes them tick as characters and not just does a good impression of the voice. That's why I think Eric Jacboson is BRILLIANT as Frank's characters particularly Grover because he's got the personality, movements, etc. that makes up what Grover is as well as a good voice. And I'm glad to have lots of new Grover stuff in recent years even though to me nobody will ever take the place of Frank.
  13. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

I honestly can't believe people are talking about this... How about commenting on the new Muppet LOST video instead, guys? No? Go figure... :smirk:

But I listened to all of Artie's voices, and, like Super Scooter, I just don't hear it. In fact, the only one that I do hear is Beauregard. His Kermit and Ernie sill sound like a passable impression to me, and I'm sure with training he could get it down, but I don't want to see it happen anytime soon at all. I wish we could just put this all in the past (like Steve Whitmire himself asked us to do) and leave it be.
  14. antsamthompson9

Sorry about that. I just thought everyone would like to know that Artie confirmed that he did Kermit for AGT and the VMAs.
  15. antsamthompson9

I agree completely.
  16. antsamthompson9

I agree. I just thought Artie's impressions on the website were better than him actually preforming him.
  17. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Sure they are.

A lot more reliable than Wikipedia anyway.
  18. Gerbert

Gerbert Member

19. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

This thread needs to be closed,this topic is over and done with.
  20. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

Agreed... and I've said that more than twice. As the person who started this thread, I would really, really appreciate it if it was closed. :rolleyes: This point is moot and dead and now people are just beating a dead horse. Which, quite frankly... is rude! :crazy:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.