Where is Steve Whitmire Petition

Status
Not open for further replies.

zns

Reaction score
Agreed, 100%. Dependable Quality, and Sustainability across all performances. (Not 70% synthetic with 30% Cashmere guarantee).
You are so right. And because of all these rumors going around, I don't know if I want to be involved with this discussion anymore until the real facts come in. Thta's all I want to say about that. :attitude:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but to make a long story short- Whitmire has already been fired from Sesame Street and is on the verge of being fired from muppets for being a diva, asking for too much money for every Kermit appearence he does and the just simply NOT SHOWING UP. Disney is over him and will probably have Artie take over.
None of that sounds like Steve at all. You tell me when Kermit was supposed to make an appearance and Steve never came.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This StarrFilter's post was horrible, inflammatory and IS one of the few examples of a violation in MC Forums policy. However, I hope it's not edited because it exposes more about that particular member than it does about Steve, Sesame Workshop, Disney or the Muppets.
You know... I'm gonna have to give Star the benefit of the doubt here, and say I don't think trouble was meant to be caused. DW and SSLfan have both summed it up. I think the problem is that Star heard second hand rumor, and posted it here thinking it was news. I don't think Star meant to cause any harm or rile up the fan base with baseless accusations... it would be completely out of character for Star to do so.

If it were a new member that just signed up saying random things, that would have been an obvious sign... but this is a member, as DW and SSLfan said who never caused trouble, and basically says things only when the poster feels it needs to be posted. I just wanna say where's the source too... No one's mad at you, Star... we just wanna know where you heard it.

Luke

Reaction score
Agreed, 100%. Dependable Quality, and Sustainability across all performances. (Not 70% synthetic with 30% Cashmere guarantee).
And one more thing, when you re-cast a Muppet like Kermit it's not even just about the Kermit voice or mannerisms .. but Kermit SINGS and Steve Whitmire is such an amazing, amazing singer. Kermit has dueted with some of the most famous and world renowned music artists. You may find a recast who can "simulate" the movements and attempt the voice (though even that hasn't been too successful) but when you are Disney (and look at Letters to Santa .. 2 or 3 musical numbers, plus Maceys Parade) you are going to be wanting the frog to croon and i just don't see anyone else having that level of talent.

Our Muppeteers are a talented bunch! :attitude:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Jim Cummings has performed Tigger and Pooh for years... and Wayne was performing Mickey up until his passing. And I don't think they work all that cheap.
O.K., you might want to back up a little bit there. Actually, Paul Winchell has continued to perform Tigger in a few other projects, but Disney felt that Paul was getting too old to properly portray the character, so I hear they did fire him. But maybe I'm wrong on that. I hope I am and that this isn't the case with Kermit. I know Jim and Paul sort of alternated as Tigger in the 90s, so I guess this goes back to what I was saying before about Steve having an understudy. Still, I'm hoping Disney wouldn't fire Steve and I'm hoping what I heard about Disney firing Winchell was false. But I just thought I'd put those thoughts out there.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
You know... I'm gonna have to give Star the benefit of the doubt here, and say I don't think trouble was meant to be caused. DW and SSLfan have both summed it up. I think the problem is that Star heard second hand rumor, and posted it here thinking it was news. I don't think Star meant to cause any harm or rile up the fan base with baseless accusations... it would be completely out of character for Star to do so.

If it were a new member that just signed up saying random things, that would have been an obvious sign... but this is a member, as DW and SSLfan said who never caused trouble, and basically says things only when the poster feels it needs to be posted. I just wanna say where's the source too... No one's mad at you, Star... we just wanna know where you heard it.
I'm with the good Dr. here. I don't buy the comments at all about Steve being a "diva" as he's become a friendly accquaintance of mine over the years, but I wouldn't disregard the fact that someone who works with Sesame Street Live may have over heard something and told Starfilter. I know SS Live is produced independently but they DO work closely with Henson as when I interned there I met a woman who helped build the costumes for the stage characters.

I also don't think Starfilter was out to slander Steve's name but was just repeating what they heard from this other person. The only reason I would give benefit to something like this at all, is I saw and heard lots of stuff when I was at Henson but I know if I was to repeat some of those things here on the board, I know a) I'd get the same treatment as they are getting and b) I know most people wouldn't believe me either and c) I have respect enough for those at Henson who I've met and worked with to not repeat such information on a public message board.

Luke

Reaction score
I also don't think Starfilter was out to slander Steve's name but was just repeating what they heard from this other person. The only reason I would give benefit to something like this at all, is I saw and heard lots of stuff when I was at Henson but I know if I was to repeat some of those things here on the board, I know a) I'd get the same treatment as they are getting and b) I know most people wouldn't believe me either and c) I have respect enough for those at Henson who I've met and worked with to not repeat such information on a public message board.
Yeah its a workplace like any other, especially with production companies .. people will talk and gossip, rumours will start. Sometimes true, sometimes baloney. I will say again though, i can't remember a single pre-announced appearance he has missed.

Muppetfan55

Reaction score
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hello all. I am a first time poster, but I have been a Muppet fan for as far back as I can remember. I have stuck with the Muppets through the good and the bad.

I have been following this thread (and the America's Got Talent one) from the very beginning. And yes, I saw Kermit's apparnce and that show and on the VMA awards.

My sister and I were at the D23 Expo, and saw both the Muppets Riverboat appearance and saw the Muppets presentation.

While my sister was in line for the Muppets presentation (I caught up with her later) she spoke with a person who heard from his friend (a puppeteer at Playhouse Disney Live, and one of the puppeteers for the Riverboat Muppet appearance) that Steve and Disney were in contract negotiations, apparently, Steve was requesting more money, and Disney is apparently not having that. Now, this individual admitted that the story could wrong.

I am telling the truth. This conversation really did take place. If you don't believe me, quite frankly, that is not my problem.

Now, Calling Steve a diva is very harsh, rude, and most likely not true. But let me tell you something, this whole "contract negotiations" thing sounds like the most plausible thing so far.

Now look, I love Steve Whitmire. As long as he is alive, well, and willing, I want him to continue to perform Kermit

As for Artie's performance. Yes, it was very different and unexpected. Although I thought that he gave it a good effort. As for the puppetry being stiff, yes there may be some validity there, however, I think that a lot of that is just sour grapes.

As for the question why a puppeteer was chosen that was so "low on the totem pole" Well, to my knowledge, besides Steve, none of the more famous, principal puppeteers can do Kermit's voice (The closest that Dave Golez got was his frog character in The Muppets Take Manhattan)

Artie was probably the closest puppeter that they could find, and besides, they also needed someone who had time, Artie is not as busy as some of the principal puppeteers, and Kermit is a very busy character.

Let me make myself clear, IF this "contract negotiations" thing is true (again, it sounds plausible) I am pulling for Steve. Disney would be foolish to lose him.

And remember guys, Steve Whtimire is not immortal. There WILL be the day when the torch must be passed, and Kermit may very well be handed to Artie when that happens.

But again, I think that Steve is currently alive and well.

So if all of you want to see Steve back in the saddle, as it were, WRITE LETTERS to Disney and let them know what an important asset Steve is to the Muppets. Discussing the matter online is fine and all, but Disney won't pay attention to that. We all need to write letters to Disney. And remember to be polite about it, that is the only way that you will be taken seriously.
Volume is the key.
Let Disney know that it would be a HUGE mistake to let Steve go.

Incidentally, I am also a Disney fan as well.

So, I only made this post to tell you all what I've heard and to give some advice. Like I said, as long as Steve is alive, well, and willing, I want him to continue to perform Kermit. (and his other characters)
[/FONT]

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Yeah its a workplace like any other, especially with production companies .. people will talk and gossip, rumours will start. Sometimes true, sometimes baloney. I will say again though, i can't remember a single pre-announced appearance he has missed.
No I have yet to hear any truth to that as well, Luke.

beaker

Reaction score
The only reason I would give benefit to something like this at all, is I saw and heard lots of stuff when I was at Henson but I know if I was to repeat some of those things here on the board, I know a) I'd get the same treatment as they are getting and b) I know most people wouldn't believe me either and c) I have respect enough for those at Henson who I've met and worked with to not repeat such information on a public message board.
Well, it's an open secret that Caroll Spinney has had a number of unfortunate politics aimed his way in the SW behind the scenes climate. When it was brought up awhile back, some thought mere salacious rumors were being bandied about, but it was confirmed by two of Spinney's friends. There's MANY MANY things the average Muppet fan would be horrified or at the very least dismayed to hear when it comes to backroom politics.

So I dont think people are chewed out for hinting at or revealing behind the scenes situations.

However, this particular claim did have a distinct air of scandalous gossip. Those aware of SW politics Im sure can figure out who *would* be considered quite a "diva", but I doubt Whitmire would be it. As others have stated, the performers NEED to stand up for their pay scale...again, poke around and Im sure youll find out how Spinney(whom I consider the greatest Muppet icon and performer next to JH himself) got treated in that regard.

Personally I feel the JHC should have stayed in New York City, they lost their soul I feel since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.