1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Where is Steve Whitmire Petition

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by theprawncracker, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

im at the point that ive decided what happens with Kermit will happen and i will grow to accept it, but now im just more concered about Steve himself

on liter note to being a smile or two this is how i feel disney is treating those who say a word
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OId1kQixvjQ&feature=channel_page

2. JimmyDeanDog

JimmyDeanDog Member

Follow-up re Disney Call

"...It may just be a question the person didn't know how to answer..

Nope - this person at Disney was very 'adamant' and KNEW
    what to say - despite our efforts to ask this almost 3 times...

When we asked, all we got was "you'll have to leave a message"
    and THEN we asked again, got the same broken record response...

..MEANING - that they know, but won't say simply - to anyone -
    - granted I'm certainly not FRANK OZ or BRIAN HENSON, right?

..but fret none....there are OTHER ways to find out
    that we're working on - stand by!
    :)

3. Kynan Barker

Kynan Barker New Member

Jimmy Dean, what you're saying is, you asked the same question three times, and three times you were told "You'll have to leave a message." And then you got hung up on?

That's not Disney "hiding something," that's you harassing a receptionist who obviously can't comment.

Contacting the Disney offices to let them know how we feel is perfectly fine. Badgering phone operators to the point where they feel forced to hang up is just rude.

It's great that you feel so passionate about this, it really is. But please remember guys, it's so important to be polite!

4. TheMonsterAteMe

TheMonsterAteMe Active Member

No, I disagree.

We need to call, pass out flyers on the street, rent a byplane and fly over the country trying to find Steve, ANYTHING

5. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

I'm working on creating some Youtube buzz, as I know people often watch Youtube, Twitter and Facebook to gauge public opinion. It's just a start, but here's a Tribute to Steve as Kermit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkgaqZ8fMnQ

6. Rendal

Rendal New Member

I was just thinking this morning. There is some precedent for Steve being unavailable for his characters at times. John Tartagula(sp) performed Ernie for the 2nd Season of Play with Me Sesame. I've seen a clip of his performance, it's definitley different. Steve has since done Ernie appearances. So this may be something like that.

7. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I honestly don't see a conspiracy here. Occam's Razor, the simpliest explanation is more likely to be true. ;)

8. ChickyBoy37

ChickyBoy37 Well-Known Member

Yeah! I Think John would have been a Great Kermit. Hearing him as Nicky on Avenue Q Kinda reminds me of him.

9. Kynan Barker

Kynan Barker New Member

Rendal, that precedent only shows that people will notice (and complain) when a character is suddenly recast with a very different performer.

Sesame Workshop has since acknowledged that Steve is the one true Ernie. One of the producers, Carol-Lynn Parente, even told a journalist, "One performer, one Muppet," which is very close to the old Save the Muppets slogan "One Muppet, One Voice."

Kuriboh Man, John Tartaglia played Princeton and Rod in Avenue Q. You're probably thinking of Rick Lyon as Nicky. I'm pretty sure neither John nor Rick are still working with Sesame Street or the Muppets.

10. muppetinsider

muppetinsider New Member

That's correct, Rick Lyon was blacklisted from ever performing on Sesame Street again due to violating another Muppet performer's private notes for a TV show pilot the particular performer was working on at the time. Very strange and scary indeed, but true.:eek:

11. Jamie B

Jamie B New Member

John was invited back to perform the lead character in Sesame's Pre-School Musical spoof as recently as Season 39 (alongside Stephanie D'Abruzzo as the female lead), so the door is seemingly still open for him.

12. Blinky_Fish

Blinky_Fish Member

Whatty What-na? 'splain yo' self

13. muppetinsider

muppetinsider New Member

It's true and happened back in the early 2000's. That's just one incident that happened with David Rudman, who at the time was working on a show idea. This is from the mouth of Rudman himself, I just know what I heard.
    But let's stick to the topic which is Steve. Steve has a personal and private life as well, and it's really no ones business what happened to Steve Whitmire. I assure you all he is alive and well, but sometimes things come up just like with anyone else.
    Artie did a terrific job for his first live appearance as Kermit, and in time will blossom into the Muppet family just beautifully. He has Jim's tone, and that's all you need to craft Kermit into the calm and collective sole that he really is.

14. SarahOnBway

SarahOnBway Member

Every time you come here you write as if Steve is over and done with and we should all just move on to Artie. I'm sorry, but most of us are just not ready to do that and, until we are given an explanation, will not accept Artie as the new Kermit. We're not butting into Steve's personal life, he doesn't owe us any more information than necessary. We'd just like to know the situation as it stands. As people who care about both the Muppets and their Muppeteers, when things like this happen, we get anxious and nervous for all parties involved. Kermit is a public figure: a performer change like this DEMANDS reasons and explanations.

15. Rendal

Rendal New Member

The Muppets are valuable and important properties to the Walt Disney Company. It would be foolish for Disney not to have understudies ready for all the characters. Perhaps this is just a case of the understudy filling in for the main guy. It's also important to have someone ready for when a transition does inevitably happen. Matt Vogel is the understudy to Carol Spinney and Jerry Nelson on Sesame Street.

That being said, I think it's a fair question to ask. Has the torch been passed or is this just a fill in type thing? The AGT and VMA appearances could have been last minute things, and he might not have been able to fly out for them.

The actor Topol has been doing his farewell tour in the theater production of Fiddler on the Roof. He apparently missed 5 shows during the LA run. People were upset. Not exactly the same, but still fans love Steve and when he wasn't there they were upset and concerned .

16. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I have to completely disagree with everything stated in this quoted portion.

IMHO, this new "Shmermit the Forg" is a hollow impersonation of what the performer perceives to be Jim Henson's Kermit instead of really trying to inhabit the frog himself and lend his own Kermitness to the role as Steve has done. I don't give it a failing grade, but I would give it a solid D. Basically this replacement frog is a stammering and unremarkable Kermit impersonation. I don't believe anything can be built or grown upon this impersonation tactic. :sympathy:

:cry: I miss Steve. Do you "know" that he's gone for good or are you speculating?

17. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

its been said before and again im not gonna single anyone out cause i dont know this is just theory, but i feel a few us on here know the real answer and whether it be contract or bias opinions on how you think kermit should sound , they are leaving us in the dark out a spite. no ones asking to spill your guts all we wanna know is where is steve, is he home, on vacation, ill? all simple questions

18. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

You know... I was just about to say that earlier this morning but... well... forgot. There could have been a personal reason why he was unable, and I think we're starting to get a little out of hand here. Unless Disney actually fired him for some reason, any other reason why he wasn't able to make it could very well be a private matter, and I wonder if we're going too far if it is indeed something in his personal life.

19. JimmyDeanDog

JimmyDeanDog Member

I wasn't harrassing ANYONE - and it 'wasn't' a receptionist...

My BEST GUESS here is that Steve is (or has) taken
    some time off because of his 50th birthday coming up

A call to Henson's company in L.A. earlier in the week
    DID have their receptionist indicate when I asked politely
    that Steve IS still doing Kermie by 'their' understanding...

That's all I'm going to persue as I'm awaiting just a few
    more e-mail replies -
    - we'll hear about Steve - soon enough!

20. ChickyBoy37

ChickyBoy37 Well-Known Member

Maybe it might be a mid-life Crisis Related thing. but your guess is as good as mine. It would be kinda useful if someone here could contact The People who worked with him like Dave Goelz or Eric Jacobson.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.