Where it all Began Special Edition Specs

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Luke said:
I'm guessing this is first in a line of Fraggle releases each containing 3 live eps (released in order) and a few special features (probably more animated eps).
If HIT does release the show this way, 3 episodes a release, it will take 32 Volumes to release the entire show. And at $15 would cost you $480 to get all 96 episdoes (that's about $5 an episode - not counting special features) and would take probally 4-10 years until they would all be released.

The Animated Fraggle show had 13 episodes, but some were made of two seprate 15-min stories that could be split between two releases. Their is footage from the Down at Fraggle Rock special that could be used to make new featurettes (instead of the whole hour special, HIT! could edit new segments using some footage from it with new stuff and show clips; like a 15-min. feature on just Doozers, a featurette on the Gorgs, another on the Music, one the international versions, and more), their is the "Fraggles look for jobs" thing that could go on the final release, there are original test skits and footage, they could make "best of montages" (like the best of Uncle Matt, which shows some of the best Travling Matt Clips from the serries), their are a lot of people they could interview, and their are plenty of Fraggle Songs to create more "sing-a-longs". If HIT! made more 3-episode releases (in order), with 1-2 special features a peice I would not make me upset, I would much rather have season sets, but I think getting the whole show out their is more important. :smirk: May be they'll do both, seasons sets for the hard-core fans, and 3-ep releases for casual fans and families.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
True. With the plethora of Fraggle stuff out there, they shouldn't have any problems doing season sets or bonus discs, really. Plus, with almost all the performers still alive, they should definitely do some interviews or at least commentaries!

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Fraggle Rock, the cartoon!

Here's the episode guide for the 1987-1988 Fraggle Rock cartoon.

Episodes
Season 1 (1987-1988)
A Growing Relationship/Where No Fraggle Has Gone Before
Big Trouble/Necessity
Gobo's Song/Homebody Matt
Laundry Never Lies/What Boober's Nose Knows
Mokey's Flood Of Creativity/What The Doozers Did
No Fraggle Is An Island
Red's Drippy Dilema/The Funniest Joke In The Universe
The Best Of The Best/Ambassador Gorg
The Great Fraggle Freeze
The Great Radish Round Up/Lucky Fargy
The Radish Fairy/Fraggle Babble
Wembley & The Bemble/A Fraggle For All Seasons
Wembley's Trip To Outer Space/Fraggle Fool's Day

Here's a short description from 80scartoons.net

Fraggle Rock

The fun-loving fraggles (Gobo, Red, Wembley, Mokey, Boober, and others) share adventures in the underground caverns they call home. They live under the home of Doc and his dog, Sprocket. Other characters include doozers, Wrench, Wingnut, Majory, Traveling Matt, Ma and Pa Gorg, Flange, and Philo.
A Jim Henson Production in association with Marvel Productions. Thirty minutes. NBC: September 12, 1987 to September 3, 1988.

http://www.80scartoons.net/toons/fraggle.html

:smirk: :excited:

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
...at least commentaries!
How about commentaries by the Fraggles? Picture hearing Gobo, Reb, Wembly, Mokey, and Boober talking about episodes of the show. That could be fun for the performers to do, revist the characters, and no rebuilding puppets required. Plus imagine the banter the 5 could come up with.
:excited:

King Prawn

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
How about commentaries by the Fraggles? Picture hearing Gobo, Reb, Wembly, Mokey, and Boober talking about episodes of the show. That could be fun for the performers to do, revist the characters, and no rebuilding puppets required. Plus imagine the banter the 5 could come up with.
That's a fantastic idea! I love it! something new could be done with the fraggles without the problem of having to rebuilt puppets.

And thanks too those who answered the Animated FR related question.

Whatever

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
I think I heard that most of the original puppets from FR have disinegrated by now. :smirk:

Luke

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
If HIT does release the show this way, 3 episodes a release, it will take 32 Volumes to release the entire show. And at $15 would cost you $480 to get all 96 episdoes (that's about $5 an episode - not counting special features) and would take probally 4-10 years until they would all be released.
I bet they will continue releasing the discs like this until they stop selling enough to be profitable and fans will be without a completed FR DVD collection until something else happens in the future. Look at what you said above - it's the most profitable way for HIT! to release these, not what the fans would like most but they'll buy them and it'll do. It's the same thing being done in the UK with He-Man actually at the moment - it's a question of profit, and also a question of whether there are more casual fans prepared to spend $15 on a 3 disc release than there is dedicated people out there who would spend $40+ in one go on a season set. I doubt we'll see season sets from HIT! unless Henson really pushes for it, it just isn't like them and at the end of the day JHC have to look at it financially too.

As for special features, as is the case with TV DVD's from any company they try to do what they can without spending much money. That's probably why they are using an animated episode and bits of the live action series cut into packages. Commentaries should be possible - Henson could record them in LA (although the cast are all freelance so that might work out expensive), it could be done in London (Jocelyn Stevenson - FR writer works for HIT! and they could just use her and pay for one puppeteer) or they could even do as they do on those He-Man discs and do "Fan Commentary" where a few hardcore fans who know their trivia do it instead of the cast. You've got Warrick in London, Joggy not far away in Europe - that might be a nice idea if they were looking for that kinda thing. I think it's possible that we'll see the behind the scenes documentary at some point either complete or split up, although there seems to be issues in the USA with it at the moment. One nice thing might be the Fraggle session at Muppetfest with all the cast there - it's a long shot but that was recorded i believe. I can't see them doing "on camera" interviews and re-building puppets - way too expensive.

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
If HIT does release the show this way, 3 episodes a release, it will take 32 Volumes to release the entire show. And at $15 would cost you $480 to get all 96 episdoes (that's about $5 an episode - not counting special features) and would take probally 4-10 years until they would all be released....May be they'll do both, seasons sets for the hard-core fans, and 3-ep releases for casual fans and families.
Something like that is possible. The original episodes of Star Trek were first put out in two-episodes-per-disc, single disc releases. Now there's a "demand" for it, so it's making its way to complete season sets. Season one was released yesterday, with season 2 in November and season 3 in December. And this is Star Trek we're talking about here, something everyone in the world knows has a die-hard fan base that would just eat up season sets. Look how they got treated at first.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Whatever said:
I think I heard that most of the original puppets from FR have disinegrated by now. :smirk:
ALL the Fraggles have deteriorated. The foam they were made from rotted out, and when you'd insert your hand into the puppets you'd pull it out with little balls of foam, and the inside of the puppet would break apart.